Yankee Trivia Question, but there’s a catch (pun intended)

So me and my good buddy PeteMoss were sharing a few brews the other day and he axed me a great question. 

Thurman Munson used to wear the NY on his cap off center. Why did Thurman do this?

The catch is...I don’t know the answer. Worst part is... I did at one time or thought I did  

Anybody? This has been driving me nuts!!

I remember watching Thurman’s last game on WPIX. He was playing 1st base instead of catcher.  Thought for sure it was Cleveland but it was Chicago at Comiskey. This footage is horrible, but the logo looks straight to me. Maybe Ginger slipped something in our drinks. 

After considerable thought and many drinks. Ain’t no way a cap manufacture is going to make an exception for a player who wants his teams logo off-center. Can’t even imagine the cost involved in that. Even if it is Thurman and the NY Yankees. If my memory serves me right after 40 years, did Thurman write the NY logo in sharpie on the back of his cap off-center? That seems more logical. It’s been a long time. I’ve been to the museum at Yankee stadium. His cap is there in his locker but it’s the front. Googling doesn’t seem to help. I may have to contact Mrs. Munson. Pete, you have her address?