Maines Paper and Candy What's going on???? Sold???

Independent

It is RUMORED that Maines was sold hence the un-stocked bare shelves at the Front street store. But what's more puzzling is the many layoffs this past week of people who have worked for the Maines family for 30 plus years. Also it has been learned the loss of many major account's of late.

Was there a Sale????  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That explains why there was very limited supply when I stopped there Friday for frozen chicken wings.  None of the regular ones available . . . except in an $85 box (40 lbs?).  4 of 5 of the beef coolers were empty.

Maines is a big component of the county.  I hope all works out and whoever steps in is as reliable.

I was there a couple weeks ago, and there was almost nothing in the meat area...I assumed it was due to suppliers/processing plant closures.

When I got to the other side, though, and the snack aisle was emptied out, I got worried. The kid told me something about losing the Frito Lay contract.

What?! 😳

And he said that happened before the “virus stuff.”

43 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I was there a couple weeks ago, and there was almost nothing in the meat area...I assumed it was due to suppliers/processing plant closures.

When I got to the other side, though, and the snack aisle was emptied out, I got worried. The kid told me something about losing the Frito Lay contract.

What?! 😳

And he said that happened before the “virus stuff.”

I thought it was a little strange to see a Frito Lay ad on TV last night. One of those sad music, you're the hero blah blah blah...I wonder what's going on there? I also think it's strange I haven't seen too many Progressive commercials but State Farm and Liberty Mutual appear to be stepping up to the plate to help people make their car insurance payments.

I just came from Maines. I thought I was going to make a lasagna today but no ground beef or ricotta cheese of any kind...Weis had none either. I'm not going to Price Chopper until they quit it with their PA system. I felt like Stepford wife in there. 

I did purchase 6 cans of tomatoes. I didn't feel like they were shutting down. They had more beef choices and some pork that looked absolutely horrible. They had sausage, Gianelli, Pasquales and Lupos. 

They have frozen turkey and turkey breast for $.79/ lb. I'd never heard of either brand and I'm still leery from my nightmare Butterball encounter so I opted for the breast...it's huge, a 19.9 lb breast that I paid $15.00 for. So I get home and look up the brand of the turkey. Jaindl Farms is 2.5 hours south of here in Orefield PA. They've been in operation since 1954 AND...they are supplier of turkey for the presidents!  Makes me want to have a poker night and serve turkey sandwiches! OH WELL.  :) I think it will be defrosted to cook on Thursday morning. I'll let you know.

Manes' bread and butter was always the mom and pop restaurants. The ones most negatively impacted by this. Sure they went big with chains and their franchisees, but those players will jump ship and switch suppliers at the drop of a hat. Not loyal and dedicated like your local diner or spaghetti house. 

Add to that that the company is allegedly highly leveraged and you have a recipe for disaster.

And many more vacant warehouse facilities in Broome County.

Just heard a RUMOR this morning that a bankruptcy may be coming or will be announced soon. Hearing many complaints out there about Maines and also the layoffs. Someone also said a very large company is buying them out and told them to selloff their products to enhance the sale.

I hope my stimulus check gets deposited before that happens. I'll need to stock up on my favorite oven cleaner too. :) I know, I know simple pleasures for simple minds.

4 hours ago, Independent said:

... a bankruptcy may be coming or will be announced soon. ...

That's what you get when you make stupid business decisions like shelling out $ to have the Arena renamed after your family member.

While I understand that it never was one of the greatest places to work as the Maines Boys are a constant pain in the ass, doing business in NY is tough. I had heard couple years ago they were looking to get out. No drivers, work force is a nightmare. They didn't need the headache. As far as the tax breaks I don't like it either but its how its done. Kim Jun Cuomo controls all

Lineage Logistics, a global food distributor might be the new owner. Looks like they will keep Conklin open since it's centralized with their North East region but will not be servicing street sales (local restaurants). I'm sure Willow Run will be picking up those. 

2 hours ago, Drone1 said:

Lineage Logistics, a global food distributor might be the new owner. Looks like they will keep Conklin open since it's centralized with their North East region but will not be servicing street sales (local restaurants). I'm sure Willow Run will be picking up those. 

Or Sysco.

10 hours ago, thomas said:

We saw what happened to Singer-Link when it was bought. Gone. So we hope that doesn't happen.

That's a slightly different situation. Singer-Link wasn't simply sold. It was everntually broken up.

As I understand it, S-L used to have two main industries they serviced: commercial and government/military.  Like any industry, those two had ebbs and flows.  But luckily they were usually in direct opposites to each other.

Usually when their commercial market had a downturn, their government/military contracts were rising.  And vice versa.  So when this occurred, S-L would move employees from one project to another, generally maintaining full employment.

But S-L was broken into separate companies servicing commercial and government/military.  So when each of those industries had a downturn, there was no longer a buffer.  So they went bye-bye.

Yes, sometimes the parts are worth more than the whole.  But only if the economy runs perfectly all of the time and year after year.  Which, of course, never happens.

3 hours ago, Drone1 said:

I found out today that it is Lineage Logistics who was the buyer.