Maines Paper and Candy What's going on???? Sold???

Independent

IMO, doing business with the 'big boys' (i.e. Burger King) was not all it was cut out to be. Those folks will squeeze you for every penny they can, every time they can, and this in an already razor thin margin business. Quite different than dealing with small restaurants where the owner is the chief cook and bottle washer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, 92CorruptCourtStreet said:

i’m not so sure about this because they are thriving and many other states other than New York so don’t be so sure about dicks

Not for long.

"Dick's Sporting Goods will stop selling guns at 440 additional stores this year, escalating the company's methodical elimination of firearms from its stores."

Thriving in other states? If anything, I would expect gun sales in states other than NY to be a much bigger part of their profit. What kind of 'Sporting Goods' store doesn't sell guns? I understand a company not wanting to sell assault rifles, etc. but basic hunting and target shooting stuff? That's a bad decision.

18 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Not for long.

"Dick's Sporting Goods will stop selling guns at 440 additional stores this year, escalating the company's methodical elimination of firearms from its stores."

Thriving in other states? If anything, I would expect gun sales in states other than NY to be a much bigger part of their profit. What kind of 'Sporting Goods' store doesn't sell guns? I understand a company not wanting to sell assault rifles, etc. but basic hunting and target shooting stuff? That's a bad decision.

I guess time will tell....

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

Not for long.

Funny because I was at a dicks outside of ny State a week ago and they had a few shotguns but no ammo and no cleaning supplies and they said after they sell the remaining shotguns on the shelf they are done. I was shocked because I went to go pick up a couple boxes of 9MM AMMUNITION and nope not there and you are right and spot on 100% of what you posted 

On 5/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, ginger said:

I just came from Maines. I thought I was going to make a lasagna today but no ground beef or ricotta cheese of any kind...Weis had none either. I'm not going to Price Chopper until they quit it with their PA system. I felt like Stepford wife in there. 

I did purchase 6 cans of tomatoes. I didn't feel like they were shutting down. They had more beef choices and some pork that looked absolutely horrible. They had sausage, Gianelli, Pasquales and Lupos. 

They have frozen turkey and turkey breast for $.79/ lb. I'd never heard of either brand and I'm still leery from my nightmare Butterball encounter so I opted for the breast...it's huge, a 19.9 lb breast that I paid $15.00 for. So I get home and look up the brand of the turkey. Jaindl Farms is 2.5 hours south of here in Orefield PA. They've been in operation since 1954 AND...they are supplier of turkey for the presidents!  Makes me want to have a poker night and serve turkey sandwiches! OH WELL.  :) I think it will be defrosted to cook on Thursday morning. I'll let you know.

I just put that turkey in the oven. I see why they supply turkey to the presidents. It was immaculately butchered and trimmed, not one extraneous glob of fat to cut away. No quills. I've never cooked a turkey breast this large, it has a pop up timer. I thought of doing it in a bag but didn't have one in the house. Wish me luck. :) 

2 hours ago, ginger said:

I just put that turkey in the oven. I see why they supply turkey to the presidents. It was immaculately butchered and trimmed, not one extraneous glob of fat to cut away. No quills. I've never cooked a turkey breast this large, it has a pop up timer. I thought of doing it in a bag but didn't have one in the house. Wish me luck. :) 

What time is dinner?

2 hours. Another hour to cook and time to rest and I'll have to make gravy.I was going to take the tinfoil off but it looks pretty browned. I have to be to work so I probably won't do anything about freezing portions until tomorrow. I usually take one breast and freeze it with stock in a plastic container. I'm not sure how many containers I'm going to have to do.

20 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Eating a turkey dinner before work seems problematic 🤔

I didn't eat turkey dinner..actually right after I posted the oven timer went off and the timer was popped. I did eat a sandwich when I got home from work. I just took the entire thing apart, made the gravy and I'm boiling the carcass now. It was a bit dry on the outside but OH, the skin was definitely worth nibbling on. I cut off the dry, threw it in a freezer container with a large portion of the gravy...it'll be fine for turkey and biscuits.  I'm getting 7 meals plus sandwiches and soup x2 out of it. Not bad for $15.00.

post edit...I didn't have to skim the fat off the gravy..there wasn't enough that was noticeable

One thing we do Ginger is when chopping and dicing veggies for prep, throw the ok chopped off parts or peels in a quart freezer bag. Same with meat bones, trimmings, skin, etc. (seperate by chicken, beef, etc. of course). Throw in freezer.

Boil and simmer a bag of that stuff in a pot of water and can it....you have pints of great stock for nuthin!

On 5/14/2020 at 12:19 PM, BC is History said:

Once Dick's made that announcement they were stopping gun/ammo sales, I vowed to never again set foot in any of their stores.  They don't sell anything essential, and nothing I can't find online for cheaper.

Pretty much the same for me.  I went to East Junior and spent HOURS drooling over the gun cases and gawking at the fishing gear.  They stopped carrying black-powder and wood shafts/traditional bows decades ago - so they couldn't help me hunt with those.  When they gave up on pistols I gave up on them.  I don't golf or jog so I'm not greatly inconvenienced if they vanish.  Dick Stack would be ashamed of what it has become.

4 minutes ago, FormerSomeone said:

Pretty much the same for me.  I went to East Junior and spent HOURS drooling over the gun cases and gawking at the fishing gear.  They stopped carrying black-powder and wood shafts/traditional bows decades ago - so they couldn't help me hunt with those.  When they gave up on pistols I gave up on them.  I don't golf or jog so I'm not greatly inconvenienced if they vanish.  Dick Stack would be ashamed of what it has become.

They have become a clothing store.