Cuts at Local Schools

DanCooper

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

The rumor mill is beginning:

Maine Endwell - 20 positions to be cut.

Binghamton - No retirees will be replaced. Nobody is safe. Teachers were told to make a “wishlist” of landing places if they are let go from Binghamton schools.

They are not rumors.

28 minutes ago, Wilfrid Laurier said:

I wonder if any schools will field football teams. That is an expensive sport with equipment, insurance, etc.

I wonder if there will be any school sports in the fall?

Cuomo is going to institute a cut of at least 20% in State Aid.

No way is there football. NY has wanted to ban the sport, at least for those under 13. This will be a convenient means to the end.

If little league starts in June, all players must wear a mask. Where does that rule leave football when a mouth guard is also required?

An email is circulating from the SUNY Broome union reps suggesting that Drumm is privately threatening cuts of up to 50%. Based on what little I know about their numbers, that sounds like an extreme talking point to start negotiations, but I guess this means there will be no room in the budget for Paul Battisti to arrange a soft landing as his chief of staff, huh?

A lot of the ME cuts are because of growth in two areas, health insurance, and special education. There's one student who costs the district over 100k a year to "support", they had someone argue last year to keep their 8:1 program in district... this led to having to have more cuts than were planned.

You can be damn sure that by 2021, no kid is going to be allowed back in school without a COVID vaccine (see Zucht v. King). That should be interesting. 

Actually, that’ll be damned interesting. A lot of parents have just learned that homeschool is far better than just a viable option, and this may have a significant impact on the federal component of their funding which relies on headcount. I wonder what they'll do about paying the help? Funding their pensions? Might make them think twice before reflexively pushing the button.

My daughter works for a private day school in Long Island. I asked her about permanently switching to an online format. She said absolutely not but they are preparing for the fall semester if things go south again. I mentioned to her that it would open up all kinds of possibilities for more students to virtually attend private school anywhere in the world if they had the federal/state money and parents were of course willing to home school. Basically she says it come down to the reality that parents have to go to work. Last week their headmaster was driving around to the homes of graduating students passing out goodie bags.

I didn't ask about vaccines because we don't have one. I wonder if the students will have to be tested for antibodies.