Amazon Onondaga

ginger

I see Republican County executive Ryan McMahon has an Amazon distribution center in the works...1000 jobs. I'm pretty disappointed we couldn't have had that here, especially now, with the Maines Layoffs. Governor Cuomo? Jason Garner? What the hell happened here? I guess you just couldn't sell it.

We were also supposed to get the "Carousel Mall" in the Town of Chenango.  We lost out and it went to Syracuse. 

Our politicians are controlled by local business people who want to keep wages as low as possible. The Maines and the Akels are perfect examples.

Pete you know I've been looking toward Amazon for a while now and I actually went on line last night to see if they were going to be looking for any driver type jobs for local delivery. A while ago I posted on BCV that I thought they might be looking for someone to set up for this area 10-40 drivers but darned if I can't find that thread. As soon as I get a few minutes I'll go back to the amazon website and see if that opportunity still exists. or will they run their drivers right out of Syracuse?

Cuomo...couldn't even handle the likes of Ocasio Cortez either with her Amazon debacle and he still hasn't called her out for BDS AND she is still holding up housing at the Sunnyside Rail yard. 

2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

At risk of you threatening to block me again Pete, I happen to agree with you ;)

We were also supposed to get the "Carousel Mall" in the Town of Chenango.  We lost out and it went to Syracuse. 

Our politicians are controlled by local business people who want to keep wages as low as possible. The Maines and the Akels are perfect examples.

Yep, Pete.  The sad thing is that Binghamton stands at the crossroads of 81, 88, and whatever they call 17 now (86?).  What a prefect place for a distribution center, or a theme park! Instead people just drive on by. Small town with a few big fish that like it that way.

I think Mayor David should call his friend President Trump and tell him to make Jeff Bezos an offer he can't refuse...unless Jeff doesn't really want that pentagon contract.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/08/amazon-says-jedi-award-fatally-flawed-in-rebuttal-to-microsoft.html

Seriously, we ought to be looking at each and every business facet of Amazon and start sending proposals to petition for work. Whole Foods to start with.

2 hours ago, ThelmaHarper said:

Amazon stuck it to Onondaga county real good. $70,000,000 in tax breaks for a bunch of $15/hour jobs. One of the biggest breaks Amazon has ever gotten for a facility like this....

We dodged a bullet with this. 

We gave BAE $40,000,000 to stay after the flood. $70 million sounds like a bargain. As I mentioned, I would have liked to have had it here but one hour away at least puts us in Jeff Bezos sights for maybe other projects. 

^ Lourdes and UHS operate tax free/exempt on property worth $68 million dollars. I wonder how much that equates to annually. I should look at our budget again.

I was just looking at the Amazon Flex program. In New York they are requiring commercial plates/insurance. I'm guessing that expense is probably going to be too high to make any kind of equitable profit. I suppose if you already have a business vehicle and wanted to pick up delivery routes that would work.

About 10 years ago the Three major auto manufacturers wanted to put a parts plant in our area, the jobs were union (UAW) and started you out at about $21 hr but the powers that be , Libous and his cronies kept them out because it would have hurt their labor market , why would people want to bust their butt's for jobs that paid just above minimum wage when they could go to jobs that paid a good wage and had good bennies, they also wanted to keep the unions out. Thank You senator Libous.

be careful what you wish for.... not only to Lourdes and UHS provide jobs for the region... they provide the health care that keeps your parents alive...  trust me when I say.. you don't want to have to go to 2 hours away for every ailment (cue the "I would not stay here anyway" crowd)   when you have chest pain shoveling snow in eight months, its quite literally the difference between seeing tomorrow or not.   The tax breaks on the hospitals are cheap, don't buy the AOC logic, we are not giving them money, we are investing in them... JMHO

I think Jeff Bezos is going to be in for a comeuppance of sorts. Last week I was in the lobby of a facility and a veteran, a visitor, was leaving. He looks right at me and says "Everyone wants a job but nobody wants to work."

(giggle) I don't know why he looked at me! :) 

13 hours ago, ThelmaHarper said:

Amazon stuck it to Onondaga county real good. $70,000,000 in tax breaks for a bunch of $15/hour jobs. One of the biggest breaks Amazon has ever gotten for a facility like this....

We dodged a bullet with this. 

There are 2 ways to look at it. You have a piece of vacant land and a bunch of unemployed people in an economically depressed area....in a state that is not exactly known as being the most business friendly place to be. A company approaches you and says they want to build a $350M distribution center and employ 1,000 people but they want some tax breaks - on property that (at this time) is not generating any revenue for you anyway. So, do you give them the tax breaks and create some jobs or tell them to take a hike and keep 1,000 people on unemployment/food stamps/etc.? I'm not siding with Amazon, but I think 1k $15/hr jobs is better than 1k with no jobs.

20 minutes ago, thomas said:

What we do have is Canopy Growth at the former Vail-Ballou site in Kirkwood ready to operate once the state gives the green light.

Everybody wants a job but nobody wants to work. I wonder why? I wonder why the priority as soon as employees walk in the door is ordering take out and then taking a nap. 

https://www.healthemploymentandlabor.com/2019/05/15/nyc-bill-banning-pre-employment-marijuana-drug-testing-becomes-law/