DRIVING

ginger

I had to drive to Jersey last night. I know they pay premium taxes but EVERY ROAD WAS PERFECTLY PAVED. I also managed to hit up a full service fuel station and it was worth it to tip the guy 2 bucks to pump my gas while I used their immaculate restroom and made a decent cup of coffee. 

Ugh I hate going to the Catskills...love the scenery hate the gas stations...FILTHY! All of the money they have down there...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Governor Cuomo and the democrats. You almost got me and some nice young man killed today. You almost made my family millionaires. The sparks were so high it looked afire. I was sure the cab was going to jump the cement barrier and explode. By the time we got to the semi he was not in the cab. He appears out of nowhere and about ten of us were concerned. Are you ok, did you hit your head? He says he's ok and didn't hit his head and then as soon as the sheriff's deputy shows up and asks...What happened?....NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN HE CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH?! No way is this guy a citizen.

My head is pounding...Sam Peckinpaugh couldn't have done it better.

No name of the driver, age ,where he's from, where he's going, name of the trucking company what kind of a load he was carrying..where do these people get their journalism degrees? 

http://www.wicz.com/story/42730229/tractor-trailer-crash-on-rt-17-backs-up-traffic

As this appears to be a driving topic thread, I would love to take the opportunity to add my number one personal driving beef....most especially in little Binghamton:

The preponderance of unneeded unnecessary traffic lights in lieu of stop signs;  the lack of timed synchronization of those lights;  lights not programmed to flashing from midnight until 7AM; the total & complete overuse of " No Turn On Red" restrictions eradicating its intended purpose; and not temporarily adjusting relative traffic light timing as needed when roadway is heavily used as a detour.

Thought awhile ago of starting a listing here of concerns for others to add to.....here are just a simple few to begin with:

1. The unnecessary unsynchronized downtown traffic clogging light on one way Washington Street- Court St intersection by Sall Stearns,

2. The unneeded light at the intersection of Leroy & one way St. John Ave by The Beef....25 feet from the light at Chestnut & Leroy.

3. No turn on red by old Boys Club on Lewis Street/ East Clinton ...but one can turn right on red onto the heavily trafficked speedy Vestal Parkway by old Number 5??

There used to be a Traffic Board...probably still exists. They need to drive more.....and learn to swear.

Thanks.....feel better already.

Agreed, and there are even more of the "no turn on reds" and unsynchronized lights than before.

Since they completed the cloverleaf on the Brandywine in the Spring, I've noticed a new NTOR sign at Chenango/Bevier to go across the bridge to Front St.

And to go right on Front, you have to wait for the green light, because there is also a NTOR sign there.

Then the light on the bridge over 81 has been turning red at the ramps to further extend the time to get on the highway.

It takes a ridiculous amount of time considering the area, and not long ago, you could do it in a few minutes.

I agree with all...especially that no turn on red at Bevier and Front. 

Statewide...at least of all the places I go...Almond Ave in Syracuse is the worst, The lights never change. If you don't drive at least 36 mph you will hit every single red light.

7 hours ago, ginger said:

No name of the driver, age ,where he's from, where he's going, name of the trucking company what kind of a load he was carrying..where do these people get their journalism degrees? 

http://www.wicz.com/story/42730229/tractor-trailer-crash-on-rt-17-backs-up-traffic

You were near that last night? :O

This is from the BC Sheriff's FB page:

Around 4:25 pm on October 6th, Broome County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to Route 17 east bound near exit 71 (Airport Rd.) for a tractor trailer accident. Initial reports claimed the tractor trailer rolled over and was blocking multiple lanes of traffic.

A tractor trailer, owned by REM Logistics was traveling east on Route 17, just east of exit 71. The driver of the truck changed lanes and lost control, striking the concrete barrier in the center median. The tractor went onto the barrier and the trailer went over it onto the west bound lanes; the tractor and trailer were still attached. A vehicle traveling west on Route 17 sustained damage from debris the trailer created when it struck the pavement.

The left and center lanes of east bound and west bound traffic were closed until 8:30 pm while the scene was cleaned up. There were no injuries.

The operator of the tractor trailer, Angel Araujo Reyes, 26 yrs. old of Casselberry, FL was issued two (2) traffic citations; Unsafe Lane Change and Speed Not Reasonable and Prudent. Both are returnable to the Town of Dickinson Court at a later date.

The Sheriff’s Office was assisted on scene by NY State Police, Prospect Terrace Fire Department, Broome Ambulance and NYS DOT.

Thanks Toup, I was in the west bound lane along with another driver. The cab reared up like a horse on the cement divider and we both swerved onto the Airport road median while the vehicle continued forward motion...the trailer sending sparks and maybe flames in the air..I thought it was going to blow. If we were travelling even a tiny bit faster we would have been hit by the trailer flopped over.

Two weeks ago, I was just coming off the roundabout and somebody had a gas grill in their truck bed that fell out..propane tank and all, right in front of me...sparks from the metal hitting...I thought I was going to be a goner that time too. Let's hope 3x isn't a charm!

1 hour ago, ginger said:

Thanks Toup, I was in the west bound lane along with another driver. The cab reared up like a horse on the cement divider and we both swerved onto the Airport road median while the vehicle continued forward motion...the trailer sending sparks and maybe flames in the air..I thought it was going to blow. If we were travelling even a tiny bit faster we would have been hit by the trailer flopped over.

Two weeks ago, I was just coming off the roundabout and somebody had a gas grill in their truck bed that fell out..propane tank and all, right in front of me...sparks from the metal hitting...I thought I was going to be a goner that time too. Let's hope 3x isn't a charm!

Holy shit!

12 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Holy shit!

lol :)  You how they call it monster trucks? When I saw the cab coming up the cement barrier that is exactly what it looked like to me... a monster. Stephen King couldn't have done it better. My jaw dropped and I thought , is this really happening...yep...swerve. What was shocking was how long the entirety of the vehicle kept on going after impact with the trailer hanging over the cement...it seemed to last forever before it stopped.

I'd like to know whose bright idea it was to lay rumble strips and speeds bumps across the the highway on 81 N/S between Castle Creek and Whitney Point. I have to drive up and down that highway almost every day, sometimes twice a day. My tires are going to get shredded, my suspension is going to be shot and my neck can not take that kind of shock. I can't make it to the Whitney Point exit without my head pounding at the base of my skull.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:19 AM, Jack McGurn said:

As this appears to be a driving topic thread, I would love to take the opportunity to add my number one personal driving beef....most especially in little Binghamton:

(deleted for brevity)

Thanks.....feel better already.

I don't know if things have changed, but the Village of Endicott used to have two full time employees dedicated to maintaining traffic lights.

After IBM picked up stakes there were still unsynchronized lights on every damned side street that needed nothing but a 4-way stop sign.

2 hours ago, M_Sable said:

I don't know if things have changed, but the Village of Endicott used to have two full time employees dedicated to maintaining traffic lights.

After IBM picked up stakes there were still unsynchronized lights on every damned side street that needed nothing but a 4-way stop sign.

Most of those lights are still there.

And you are right, they need stop signs.

Yesterday and last night the NYS troopers looked like they were having a very scary time of things. Twice I almost hit my 911 button to call for back up for them. I really think they should be travelling in pairs. 

23 hours ago, ginger said:

Yesterday and last night the NYS troopers looked like they were having a very scary time of things. Twice I almost hit my 911 button to call for back up for them. I really think they should be travelling in pairs. 

Funny thing about that Ginger!  In my time in Germany over the past few years, I noticed that the Polizei are almost always in pairs....one male and one female cop. Watching them work, it seems as though they have more flexibility as to how to de-escalate potentially bad situations.  They still are good at giving a wood shampoo to someone that deserves it, but seem to have a pretty good community policing model.

Want to hear a good one? You all know I'm no technophile so maybe someone can explain this...A few weeks ago I was driving down 81 on my way back home when out of the blue (pun intended maybe?) my navigation system in my car, not the phone says...

There is a speed trap ahead.  And guess what? About an eighth if a mile later there was a trooper sitting in the median. And guess what else? It happened again in the same spot this week.

I've been driving this Jeep for 3 years and this is a new thing. Any ideas? Some kind of updated AI programming maybe?  Those radars are just radio signals bounced off your car. I wonder if there is an app for that?

post edit...well I just checked and the phone apps became available last September. I don't need one anyway, I hate speeding, it's too tiring to drive that way to save maybe a half an hour.

53 minutes ago, M_Sable said:

Funny thing about that Ginger!  In my time in Germany over the past few years, I noticed that the Polizei are almost always in pairs....one male and one female cop. Watching them work, it seems as though they have more flexibility as to how to de-escalate potentially bad situations.  They still are good at giving a wood shampoo to someone that deserves it, but seem to have a pretty good community policing model.

Not only did the troopers have a time of it with the Rochester protesters causing trouble on 490 trying to shut it down, I saw 2 very scary scenarios, one with a trooper patting down somebody twice as large as him. The other was a person running up the interstate...at like one in the morning. 

Another guy had his vehicle pulled over with the 4 ways flashing...the next thing I know he's getting out of the car as I'm about to drive by...on the thruway!

16 hours ago, ginger said:

Not only did the troopers have a time of it with the Rochester protesters causing trouble on 490 trying to shut it down, I saw 2 very scary scenarios, one with a trooper patting down somebody twice as large as him. The other was a person running up the interstate...at like one in the morning. 

Another guy had his vehicle pulled over with the 4 ways flashing...the next thing I know he's getting out of the car as I'm about to drive by...on the thruway!

I'm all for 2-person patrols....always have been.

Tons of Jersey drivers up and down 81 wreaking havoc with their speeding and reckless passing/weaving in and out of traffic.

Why are there so many of them today? Are they here for the early voting? Somebody ought to check the parking lots.

I'm surprised nobody is dead yet.

5 hours ago, ginger said:

Tons of Jersey drivers up and down 81 wreaking havoc with their speeding and reckless passing/weaving in and out of traffic.

Why are there so many of them today? Are they here for the early voting? Somebody ought to check the parking lots.

I'm surprised nobody is dead yet.

Probably trying to get out of the cesspool that northern NJ is?

11 hours ago, ginger said:

I just came up rt 12.. where the road splits into 2 lanes for a bit.. numerous law enforcement vehicles.. anyone know what happened?

It doesn't seem any local news stations bother to cover anything anymore.

I saw what looked like a nasty accident near Otsiningo yesterday just before 5, and there's nothing online about it that I can find.

Haven't heard any of them warn listeners about the DOT lane closures for concrete grinding that started last week, and I think is ongoing through this one.

I only heard about it from 2 different radio stations.