DRIVING

ginger

That nice young lady who came to rescue me sent the c note I slipped her back to me in an app called CHIME with a precious note. I told her absolutely not. Three children, home schooling, working all night. I told her get some bbq for her family. Class individual.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up..I get home and my mechanic has the car running. It wasn't the air bag..it was the inertia switch triggered the fuel pump to shut down upon impact.  So he fixed that, charged the battery. Then I had 4 new tires, 1 tie rod and an alignment. Running fine but he says I have a dent in my transmission pan and the cradle has to be replaced..both rusted so that will be next week or the week after. 

Goodyear assurance maxlife..really comfortable tires, better than the Yokohamas..85,000 mile warranty..I think they were a $130.00 apiece.

I'm glad I didn't let that guy scrap my car. It would have been a drag having to pay for a rental until I could purchase another vehicle. Bought me some time to get what I really want.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:06 AM, ginger said:

And old habits die hard...I'm in Florida and I'm still looking for deer to jump out of the bushes at any moment. 

So 2 weeks into vacation and I'm still looking for deer..good thing. On my last day driving to the airport guess what waddled out of the trees...An otter. A big otter flapping his flippers waddling out on the road.😊 I thought they were small,  this thing was 3 feet long.

Post edit..I just looked at images of otters..that was not it, this thing had flippers..maybe it was seal...in Florida? I wasn't even near the ocean at that point.

• 3 months later...

There is a HUGE STAG and 3 smaller doe running around Old Vestal Road at all hours. Not sure whose job it is but these animals need to be shot or relocated before there is a big problem.

• 1 month later...

Coming home on I81 south? Just past the rest stop in Whitney Point between mile markers 367 and 365 there is a smallish but deep jagged crater. It's in the slow lane. I'm surprised it didn't take out my tire or a tie rod. I tried to call DOT but all I got was the answering machine.

Silly story...after work I stop in a Stewarts. I change into an oversized sweatshirt, turtle neck underneath and a very oversized pair of running pants because I have a 3 hour drive home. I'm looking like Mrs Frumpy.

I exit the restroom, start to pour my coffee and I'm vaguely aware there are 2 senior gentlemen sitting in a booth chatting sporadically. I pay for my coffee and as I'm heading for the door one of them says..."I bet she's hot without all of her insulation." You could tell by the twinkle in their baby blue eyes they were just so pleased as punch that I stopped long enough to giggle at them.

I know I know...simple pleasures for simple minds...

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain this to me? The vehicle I'm driving now holds 11.5 gallons of fuel. When I fill up at Mobile in Rotterdam or Stewarts the screen says I have 466 miles to empty. When I fill up at Mirabito it says I have 411 miles and at Speedway it's 406.

When I say fill up I mean I have less than 10 miles to empty. And I know you're thinking why would I let the tank go down that far.. because I noticed the discrepancy in the past few months and usually I'm trying to time it to get to the least costly fuel price. 

I feel like I'm getting ripped off by at least a gallon and a half. 

Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, ginger said:

Can anyone explain this to me? The vehicle I'm driving now holds 11.5 gallons of fuel. When I fill up at Mobile in Rotterdam or Stewarts the screen says I have 466 miles to empty. When I fill up at Mirabito it says I have 411 miles and at Speedway it's 406.

When I say fill up I mean I have less than 10 miles to empty. And I know you're thinking why would I let the tank go down that far.. because I noticed the discrepancy in the past few months and usually I'm trying to time it to get to the least costly fuel price. 

Any thoughts?

Just a guess, but usually miles are calculated by number of gallons x average mileage.  Is it possible that you are at a slightly different average mileage at each station rather than being related to brand? If one is closer the highway and you fill up when you get off, the average mileage would be higher than after even a little bit of stop and go driving.  That’s what happens with my truck at least.  Just a thought. 

10 hours ago, ginger said:

Any thoughts?

Don't trust you memory.  I don't trust mine.  Keep accurate number each time you fill up.  Mileage, cost, price per gallon.  You can see what is actually going on.

It is all about the math.

^^^ Yes. Sometimes it's 36.6 and other times 33.3 mpg although I don't recall any other vehicle I've owned adjusting for average...it was always the same number of miles after filling up.. the Jeep was always 514 .

I'm also spending a lot of time idling so maybe that's affecting it.

Thanks.

Speaking of..be glad you're home...I tried to take a nap...it's bitter. -3 in Cobleskill.  I just picked up my glasses off of the dash and they're freezing even though the heat is pumping. So glad I took the week off.

🙂

5 hours ago, ginger said:

^^^ Yes. Sometimes it's 36.6 and other times 33.3 mpg although I don't recall any other vehicle I've owned adjusting for average...it was always the same number of miles after filling up.. the Jeep was always 514 .

I'm also spending a lot of time idling so maybe that's affecting it.

Thanks.

Speaking of..be glad you're home...I tried to take a nap...it's bitter. -3 in Cobleskill.  I just picked up my glasses off of the dash and they're freezing even though the heat is pumping. So glad I took the week off.

🙂

If I’ve been city driving, fill up, then jump on the highway my range keeps getting bigger as my average mpg goes up till I level off at my highway average. Otherwise I’d be able to drive forever.  Lol.  

You're all probably right...I fill up at Mirabito or speedway when I leave here..or get back in town...I top off when I get to Rotterdam or refill there on my way home. Almost all of the miles driven are highway that's why I'm suspect of the discrepancy...as I said though...I idle on the way home, because I have to take a nap. And no I'm not sleeping with the car running...usually I'm cleaning up my (paperwork) and or texting till I doze off...then I turn off the car.

I'm so annoyed. I just drove the entire length of I88. Broome, Chenango and Otego counties should be ashamed of themselves. It's not like there's a ton of snow and they can't keep up with it. Everything from Oneonta up was being taken care of or was already cleared. The plows were out, they were salting. The roads were safe to travel. From Binghamton up to Oneonta, forget about it. Again with the gobs of salt in the middle of the lane. What am I supposed to drive with 2 tires in the salt and the other set on the rumble strip? 

If there's an accident I hope the driver sues. Disgraceful.

2 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I remember hearing last year, just after the huge storm in Dec before Xmas, that BC plow drivers were not out on OT. 

Jason must've wanted to save $$$. 

True Toup...I was on the road that night to Buffalo on 17...slept in Pembroke and came home on 90...took 81 south and everything was clear until you hit the Cortland Broome County line and all the trucks were backed up because BROOME COUNTY DIDN'T PLOW. 

Anyone one that wanted to keep going had to exit at Whitney Point and get on 11.

And, I talked to a couple of people headed to Syracuse on I81 last night and they said the same...the roads were a mess till they got past Whitney Point. This was at 6pm not 3 in the morning. It's not like they woke up at 3 and said oops surprise there's snow.

So this morning I'm coming home and there are plows salting the roads all over the place. What? Do these guys think they have a 9-5 job? Is that it? Must be because I did not see one plow from Binghamton to Oneonta....Oh maybe one on the other side of the highway headed west.

This isn't new...they do this all of the time. I'm going to start video taping my ride on snow days because those people responsible are freaking negligent. Everything above Oneonta was clear. Schoharie county can salt their roads but Broome Chenango Delaware and Otego can't? Amsterdam had plows out..I90 had plows, Guilderland, Albany, all the way down the Hudson Valley the roads were clear the plows were out.

I still find it unfathomable the state troopers don't complain...they're out there too...and doing a good job...these road conditions just make their job harder too if they have to rescue people who slide off the road. Last week when we had those huge winds and snow an SUV got blown off the road ran up the embankment and flipped right on its roof. That was around Worcester. i had actually gotten off the road at the rest stop there and when I saw the plow go through I got back on. Unfortunately a few miles up the SUV met his demise and who was right there waiting for the police? The snowplow driver.

Wow, significant improvement tonight. Delaware County a thousand times better. Broome gets a B. They made one lane completely clear visible and safe. That's all I  need.. being able to see the road is 99% of the problem fixed.

Huge Thanks to Everyone for getting me where I need to go safely.🙂

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The winds are getting a bit hostile out west today. I read there is a geomagnetic storm headed our way around 7:30 am, they think. I read you may be able to see the aurora borealis earlier all the way down to Philadelphia. Funny though, I thought I saw a flash of green yesterday morning around 7am.

I hope our vehicles aren't adversely affected. Unbeknownst to me, we had one of these emissions the other day and the sensor to the hood of my car wouldn't stop beeping for a little over 24 hrs. I'm glad I waited as it corrected itself. Of course I can't prove that's what the problem was but it seems odd.

Also, the emissions apparently cause animals to act crazy.

BE SAFE EVERYONE, HAVE A GOOD MORNING. 🙂

Hospitals be alert. I don't know of telemetry could possibly be affected. They are saying this emission will be catching up to another Corona and they will make one giant burst. It's supposed to be the largest burst in 12 years.

I also have no idea if this could affect people with pacemakers.

Post edit...ANY GLITCHES IN A PACE MAKER WOULD BE UNDETECTABLE TO THE USER. NO ADVERSE AFFECT. 🙂

Last month when there was a burst it took out 7 satellites belonging to Elon Musk for a total of 12.

To follow up.. it looks like whatever was supposed to happen this morning is now supposed to happen around midnight tonight.

I know one thing. These huge clouds are moving east really fast.  I don't doubt they will cause a thunderstorm somewhere today.

• 1 month later...

I don't know why I'm surprised...I hadn't been down Pennsylvania way in a while..They changed the name of the Carbondale Scranton Highway to the President Biden Highway.

A twenty dollar bill wouldn't even give me 5 gallons of fuel in Hallstead, $4.44/gallon.

I guess Pennsylvanians can afford that. They must be very happy with their chosen President.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:10 PM, ginger said:

:) I know it. I was discussing this with a coworker who carries...he said recently he stopped to move a dead deer out of a road and it was completely infested with fleas and ticks. He said STAY AWAY!!! 

I just can't stand to see an animal suffer like that....knowing another vehicle might add to it...I saw a coyote over the weekend...the injury was horrible and you know it didn't die right away.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised and grateful...the people I meet while travelling are awesome...never a problem. I'm also glad law enforcement across the state appears to be teaming up better.

I'm truly sorry for the family of Mr Joseph Lane of Sayre who died moving 2 deer carcasses off the road and was hit by another vehicle.

I don't know to whom I can further appeal  to mitigate the deer problem in upstate NY. Vestal is absolutely inundated. Last evening I saw 6 fully grown deer right by Commerce road and Old Vestal road. I've notified Pete Buttigieg, Both Governors Hochul and Cuomo before her...We need more guard rails and fencing on the highways. 

I'm surprised the insurance companies aren't screaming bloody murder at the property damage these animals cause. I just got a new car.  As soon as I meet with the local dealer to have my oil changed I'm going to see if they can outfit me with some kind of grill and headlight guard. Something like this...

https://realtruck.com/p/black-horse-classic-grille-guard/blk-17ts27ma/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=free-pla&utm_content=surfaces

I would also be concerned about a surge of Lyme disease this year. The grown deer I see do not look healthy.