ginger

DRIVING

That nice young lady who came to rescue me sent the c note I slipped her back to me in an app called CHIME with a precious note. I told her absolutely not. Three children, home schooling, working all night. I told her get some bbq for her family. Class individual.

And old habits die hard...I'm in Florida and I'm still looking for deer to jump out of the bushes at any moment. 

Just to follow up..I get home and my mechanic has the car running. It wasn't the air bag..it was the inertia switch triggered the fuel pump to shut down upon impact.  So he fixed that, charged the battery. Then I had 4 new tires, 1 tie rod and an alignment. Running fine but he says I have a dent in my transmission pan and the cradle has to be replaced..both rusted so that will be next week or the week after. 

Goodyear assurance maxlife..really comfortable tires, better than the Yokohamas..85,000 mile warranty..I think they were a $130.00 apiece.

I'm glad I didn't let that guy scrap my car. It would have been a drag having to pay for a rental until I could purchase another vehicle. Bought me some time to get what I really want.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:06 AM, ginger said:

And old habits die hard...I'm in Florida and I'm still looking for deer to jump out of the bushes at any moment. 

So 2 weeks into vacation and I'm still looking for deer..good thing. On my last day driving to the airport guess what waddled out of the trees...An otter. A big otter flapping his flippers waddling out on the road.😊 I thought they were small,  this thing was 3 feet long.

Post edit..I just looked at images of otters..that was not it, this thing had flippers..maybe it was seal...in Florida? I wasn't even near the ocean at that point.

There is a HUGE STAG and 3 smaller doe running around Old Vestal Road at all hours. Not sure whose job it is but these animals need to be shot or relocated before there is a big problem.

Coming home on I81 south? Just past the rest stop in Whitney Point between mile markers 367 and 365 there is a smallish but deep jagged crater. It's in the slow lane. I'm surprised it didn't take out my tire or a tie rod. I tried to call DOT but all I got was the answering machine.

Silly story...after work I stop in a Stewarts. I change into an oversized sweatshirt, turtle neck underneath and a very oversized pair of running pants because I have a 3 hour drive home. I'm looking like Mrs Frumpy.

I exit the restroom, start to pour my coffee and I'm vaguely aware there are 2 senior gentlemen sitting in a booth chatting sporadically. I pay for my coffee and as I'm heading for the door one of them says..."I bet she's hot without all of her insulation." You could tell by the twinkle in their baby blue eyes they were just so pleased as punch that I stopped long enough to giggle at them.

I know I know...simple pleasures for simple minds...

Can anyone explain this to me? The vehicle I'm driving now holds 11.5 gallons of fuel. When I fill up at Mobile in Rotterdam or Stewarts the screen says I have 466 miles to empty. When I fill up at Mirabito it says I have 411 miles and at Speedway it's 406.

When I say fill up I mean I have less than 10 miles to empty. And I know you're thinking why would I let the tank go down that far.. because I noticed the discrepancy in the past few months and usually I'm trying to time it to get to the least costly fuel price. 

I feel like I'm getting ripped off by at least a gallon and a half. 

Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, ginger said:

Can anyone explain this to me? The vehicle I'm driving now holds 11.5 gallons of fuel. When I fill up at Mobile in Rotterdam or Stewarts the screen says I have 466 miles to empty. When I fill up at Mirabito it says I have 411 miles and at Speedway it's 406.

When I say fill up I mean I have less than 10 miles to empty. And I know you're thinking why would I let the tank go down that far.. because I noticed the discrepancy in the past few months and usually I'm trying to time it to get to the least costly fuel price. 

Any thoughts?

Just a guess, but usually miles are calculated by number of gallons x average mileage.  Is it possible that you are at a slightly different average mileage at each station rather than being related to brand? If one is closer the highway and you fill up when you get off, the average mileage would be higher than after even a little bit of stop and go driving.  That’s what happens with my truck at least.  Just a thought. 

10 hours ago, ginger said:

Any thoughts?

Don't trust you memory.  I don't trust mine.  Keep accurate number each time you fill up.  Mileage, cost, price per gallon.  You can see what is actually going on.

It is all about the math.

^^^ Yes. Sometimes it's 36.6 and other times 33.3 mpg although I don't recall any other vehicle I've owned adjusting for average...it was always the same number of miles after filling up.. the Jeep was always 514 .

I'm also spending a lot of time idling so maybe that's affecting it.

Thanks.

Speaking of..be glad you're home...I tried to take a nap...it's bitter. -3 in Cobleskill.  I just picked up my glasses off of the dash and they're freezing even though the heat is pumping. So glad I took the week off.

🙂

5 hours ago, ginger said:

^^^ Yes. Sometimes it's 36.6 and other times 33.3 mpg although I don't recall any other vehicle I've owned adjusting for average...it was always the same number of miles after filling up.. the Jeep was always 514 .

I'm also spending a lot of time idling so maybe that's affecting it.

Thanks.

Speaking of..be glad you're home...I tried to take a nap...it's bitter. -3 in Cobleskill.  I just picked up my glasses off of the dash and they're freezing even though the heat is pumping. So glad I took the week off.

🙂

If I’ve been city driving, fill up, then jump on the highway my range keeps getting bigger as my average mpg goes up till I level off at my highway average. Otherwise I’d be able to drive forever.  Lol.  

You're all probably right...I fill up at Mirabito or speedway when I leave here..or get back in town...I top off when I get to Rotterdam or refill there on my way home. Almost all of the miles driven are highway that's why I'm suspect of the discrepancy...as I said though...I idle on the way home, because I have to take a nap. And no I'm not sleeping with the car running...usually I'm cleaning up my (paperwork) and or texting till I doze off...then I turn off the car.