Jump to content
ginger

DRIVING

Recommended Posts

I keep saying I'm going to start this thread. Well here it is...to continue where I left off on another thread...

If it isn't worth it to write a ticket to out of state drivers at least pull them over and tell them to slow down. I thought we had reciprocal uniform law with Jersey but not PA? Seriously, all of the NYS drivers pick their spot and we're spaced apart, I have my cruise control set then some Jersey driver starts tailgating. They force everyone to speed up just to get out the way. The PA drivers think they're untouchable too and they're horrible drivers...swear to God I think they drive with 2 feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take 'em to the local JP and hoosegow until they pay the fine. Problem solved.

You ought to experience the drivers around DC...most selfish A-holes around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know one of these days I'm going to get pulled over for speeding because I'm trying to get away from the jerks on the road. With the tractor trailers, I know what they're going to do and I know the roads I drive on so I get out of their way on the down slope pdq or drop back and let them pass long before there's a problem. The speeders will tailgate until you get out of their way. Sometimes I have to pass several cars to find a safely spaced spot to slip into or be far enough away so I don't have a semi barreling down behind me. Inconsiderate and unsafe, don't they teach people 3 car lengths anymore? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ignore tailgaters. I look at them in the mirror and flip it to the night setting. They usually pass then since they realize I'm ignoring them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My night setting does nothing for the LCD headlights. I wish they would ban them. They make my pupils constrict so badly, it's uncomfortable. And yes, I have antiglare coating on my glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read Syracuse culled 160 deer in an effort to cut down on traffic accidents. Didn't even put a dent in it. Driving home this morning was like meandering through the Catskill Game Farm.

Blue Headlights? How is this legal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just woke up and ...oh Good morning :) I just woke up and caught the tailend of a state trooper talking about road safety on WNBF. Must be Sunday morning app 9am the troopers are busy reading the funny papers because as usual...this week it was 3 speeding Florida drivers and one very reckless Jersey driver forced me to squeeze into a spot between cars without having 3 car spacing...with all of the deer running around. 

So I'm expecting to see at least the Jersey driver pulled over, but no, there sits the trooper right in the median at Whitney Point.

As I said in the original post...you need to pull these people over and even if it's not worth it to write the ticket...detain them for a bit so they cool their jets.

You know what they do in Massachusetts?  Two troopers stand on the side of the road and they will point you out to pull over. Two more troopers go through car by car and start writing the tickets. There is no discussion.

She also mentioned troopers dressed in construction clothing monitoring work sites and other unmarked staff...one night a vehicle came off the onramp in Nedrow and tried to run me off the road...I held my own and did not end up in a ditch despite their best efforts.(no guardrail in that spot) This was no reckless driver, those guys knew exactly what they were doing and when I didn't budge..meaning they would HAVE to hit me... they nonchalantly sped away. The driving was too good to be a normal person and I will always be suspicious of that incident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why. Why are there miles and miles spanning 3-5 exits of closed lanes on I88 when you are digging drainage ditches and laying pipe in the median?

Fix the road please before the discs in my neck collapse. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Syracuse was outrageous last night. Police car/vans ambulances all going in different directions. I've been trying to find out what was happening and ran across an article that said 263 new arrests were added to the police blotter but the site won't let me read it. I'll keep trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 11:40 AM, ginger said:

I keep saying I'm going to start this thread. Well here it is...to continue where I left off on another thread...

If it isn't worth it to write a ticket to out of state drivers at least pull them over and tell them to slow down. I thought we had reciprocal uniform law with Jersey but not PA? Seriously, all of the NYS drivers pick their spot and we're spaced apart, I have my cruise control set then some Jersey driver starts tailgating. They force everyone to speed up just to get out the way. The PA drivers think they're untouchable too and they're horrible drivers...swear to God I think they drive with 2 feet.

Jersey drivers usually need a map to find their way out of the passing lane. Either that or they flat out refuse to go to the right even while on the road.

 

101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the Rochester BLM people re planning another "protest" today in an undisclosed location. I also read the Department of Homeland Security is up there investigating a couple of defense contractors. Perhaps they should stay the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the way the Germans do it. Speed cameras at all of the critical locations. Pay up....no questions asked. They don't waste Polizei resources on running radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't sound like it helps to keep safe the rest of the drivers on the road, not to mention messing with people's space time continuum. Five mph above or below..I try not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, it does. People abide by the speed limits. Of course, there are other aspects to it. A driver's license costs over $1,000 USD, drivers ed (Fahrenschule) is 6 months, and their traffic controls and road system are supurb. Come to a merge? They "zipper" and traffic flows. Tractor trailers stay in the right lane at 80 KPH, center lane 120 for cars, left lane outside of cities, wide open for cars. They don't drive "me, me, me" like most Americans do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing. I've witnessed two car accidents in Germany. In both cases the drivers got out, shook hands and introduced themselves, and put on flourescent road vests, set up reflective triangles and road flares (mandatory in every vehicle), and waited for the Polizei. $h1t happens...no point in raging out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was in Germany few years ago, I found out that they have some strange rules.  If you are on a main street and there is a line going across the street you are on next to a side street, you have to let the vehicle on the side street pull out.  That must cause a lot of rear end accidents.

Also, at intersections there are traffic signals and stop signs.  At night they turn off the traffic lights.  When that happens, you have o obey the stop signs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention..I was recently in Syracuse and I saw a vehicle, I think it was grey and white and I think it said something like "community protection". Is that a real police car? It had lights. I don't see anything on the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, PeteMoss said:

When I was in Germany few years ago, I found out that they have some strange rules.  If you are on a main street and there is a line going across the street you are on next to a side street, you have to let the vehicle on the side street pull out.  That must cause a lot of rear end accidents.

Also, at intersections there are traffic signals and stop signs.  At night they turn off the traffic lights.  When that happens, you have o obey the stop signs.

 

Funny thing that I experienced Pete was coming up to a crosswalk at 11:00 at night and a bunch of Germans are waiting for the little green guy light to cross. Not a single car in sight. I crossed and got hollered at 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a first world problem but...All of the Speedways are switching over to this disgusting single serve coffee. It tastes like my Nanny's instant Nescafe. So gross, it has this frothy grossness for the last 25% of the cup. 

I really like Speedway...I use the rewards program for fuel but I won't be going there anymore unless I'm on empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ginger said:

I know this is a first world problem but...All of the Speedways are switching over to this disgusting single serve coffee. It tastes like my Nanny's instant Nescafe. So gross, it has this frothy grossness for the last 25% of the cup. 

I really like Speedway...I use the rewards program for fuel but I won't be going there anymore unless I'm on empty.

I believe all the Speedways will soon be gone, IIRC they were bought out by 7-11 and will soon be converted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SouthSider09 said:

I believe all the Speedways will soon be gone, IIRC they were bought out by 7-11 and will soon be converted

Awesome! When Speedway bought out...darn I can't recall who they bought out...they clearanced all of their merchandise. Their stock isn't as great as the previous store but I bet there wil be bargains abound!

The one really great bargain I recall...gallons of RainX windshield wiper fluid for $1.00. Well I bought at a dollar but I think it eventually got down to $.75 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 6:56 PM, ginger said:

Awesome! When Speedway bought out...darn I can't recall who they bought out...they clearanced all of their merchandise. Their stock isn't as great as the previous store but I bet there wil be bargains abound!

The one really great bargain I recall...gallons of RainX windshield wiper fluid for $1.00. Well I bought at a dollar but I think it eventually got down to $.75 cents.

I believe Speeway bought out the HESS Gas Stations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SouthSider09 said:

I believe Speeway bought out the HESS Gas Stations

I don't think it was Hess...Speedway just bought out all of those stores 3 years ago...you'd think I'd remember. What I do remember is whatever that store was before Speedway...they were way better. They always had awesome promos on snack foods and drinks. Speedway wants like $5.00 for  2 candy bars. PILOT wanted $5.29 for ice breakers gum...seriously?!

I remember buying bottles of octane boost for $.75...Let the sale begin! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×