Another Example of Illiterate Media: Saks Fifth Avenue Wrapped In "Razor Wire"

YankeeDoodle

New York Post ran a story today about how the high-end store is protecting itself. Look at the photos in the story:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/saks-fifth-avenue-is-wrapped-in-razor-wire-to-prevent-looting/

Millenials and city people don't know crap.  That's not "razor wire".  That's ordinary chain link fencing!

They could start with ordinary barbed wire, available at any hardware store. That is used to control animals, perfect in this case.

But for ever better crowd control, THIS is razor (concertina) wire, and which should be used in these cities:

stainless-steel-razor-wire-1.jpg

You might want to read an article first next time before calling.

In that article is this:

“At Saks, workers on Tuesday afternoon began attaching chain-link fencing to plywood that was previously installed to cover the luxury store’s famed display windows.

The second phase of the job saw workers further fortify the fencing with a coil of razor wire along the top edge.”

49 minutes ago, WolfMan said:

You might want to read an article first next time before calling.

In that article is this:

“At Saks, workers on Tuesday afternoon began attaching chain-link fencing to plywood that was previously installed to cover the luxury store’s famed display windows.

The second phase of the job saw workers further fortify the fencing with a coil of razor wire along the top edge.”

Maybe they updated the article due to YD's phone call.

55 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

Maybe they updated the article due to YD's phone call.

The story was posted yesterday. YD said he called today. There are several copies of the story on other websites, exact same wording, most with “update” dated yesterday.

I saw it on tv this morning..it's chain link fencing with a coil of razor wire strung across the top. They also added a dozen or more security people to stand guard.

Disgusting what they did to Macy's. 

I love the half hearted admonishments of Cuomo and DeBlasio. They don't give a damn about those stores. I will be surprised if Macy's makes it back by Thanksgiving...if they even want to. It's not like they have the vision of Donald Trump and Mayor Guiliani. All their junk is made in China anyway, Even Brook Brothers...

New York is going back to being the dump it was when I left there. I'm glad the sophisticates who looted these stores stayed away from the antique emporiums and museums. 

4 hours ago, YankeeDoodle said:

New York Post ran a story today about how the high-end store is protecting itself. Look at the photos in the story:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/02/saks-fifth-avenue-is-wrapped-in-razor-wire-to-prevent-looting/

Millenials and city people don't know crap.  That's not "razor wire".  That's ordinary chain link fencing!

They could start with ordinary barbed wire, available at any hardware store. That is used to control animals, perfect in this case.

But for ever better crowd control, THIS is razor (concertina) wire, and which should be used in these cities:

stainless-steel-razor-wire-1.jpg

Barbed wire is for controlling the boundary of 4 legged animals.

Razor Wire is for controlin the boundary of 2 legged Animals, recently used temporarily until Covid 19 popped up. Now? probly not,only coincidence.

You're right - I messed up.  I had an appointment yesterday morning and, in my rush to get this posted, didn't read the article thoroughly enough.

But, in my defense, I was going by the headline, which said the store was "wrapped in razor wire." I don't know about you, but if I am preparing a Christmas gift for someone, and I put a single strand of ribbon on it, I don't say that the package was "wrapped in ribbon".   So that headline is sort of a form of "click bait".

And with "razor wire" being the shocking part of the headline, I would expect that the photos would show exactly that. Instead, all of the photos in the story - NINE of them - only showed the chain link fencing.

I guess the Post photographers had to rush back to their headquarters a mere two blocks away and just couldn't find the time to document the story's lead.

It may as well be wrapped in razor wire after what they did to Macy's. That store actually had plywood up and they tore it down. What's next, are they looting the Federal Reserve Bank this weekend?

22 minutes ago, M_Sable said:

I've noticed the same thing from numerous media outlets, Yankee. An attention-grabbing volitile headline followed by a write-up that is much less so. Your initial reaction is understandable.

Another thing that is done very frequently, especially regarding Trump, is to have him accused of some horrible planned action. Get reactions from all sorts of people (if they're Republicans it is even better) saying how (1) he doesn't know what he is doing (2) is trying to act like a dictator (3) is trampling on the Constitution (4) is a racist, etc, etc.

read through the entire article and then finally, around the third paragraph from the bottom, they admit that the entire story is based on a single anonymous tip which they have been unable to verify!

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Just like when you see odd polling numbers (like somehow senile Biden is beating Trump by 10 or more points).  Go to the end of the poll and look at the sampling breakdown. Often times it will be around 35% Dem, 35% Ind, and 25% Rep.

They often oversample or undersample one particular group.

And of course, when they don't get a result they like in an open online poll, such as when Tulsi won the first Dem debate, go to the old standby.  IT WAS THE WORK OF RUSSIAN BOTS!

3 hours ago, YankeeDoodle said:

Another thing that is done very frequently, especially regarding Trump, is to have him accused of some horrible planned action. Get reactions from all sorts of people (if they're Republicans it is even better) saying how (1) he doesn't know what he is doing (2) is trying to act like a dictator (3) is trampling on the Constitution (4) is a racist, etc, etc.

read through the entire article and then finally, around the third paragraph from the bottom, they admit that the entire story is based on a single anonymous tip which they have been unable to verify!

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Just like when you see odd polling numbers (like somehow senile Biden is beating Trump by 10 or more points).  Go to the end of the poll and look at the sampling breakdown. Often times it will be around 35% Dem, 35% Ind, and 25% Rep.

They often oversample or undersample one particular group.

And of course, when they don't get a result they like in an open online poll, such as when Tulsi won the first Dem debate, go to the old standby.  IT WAS THE WORK OF RUSSIAN BOTS!

I don't trust anyone's polling data anymore. It's all about who you ask the questions of and how they are phrased.