I'm posting my opinion which not mean a damn

snowman60

I disagree with opening up schools in September. Why would anyone put there kids in a harmful atmosphere ? My kids are on there own, but if they were young now? Oh hell no they be staying home. The age of people catching it are becoming lower. Started with the elder, 50+, now its in the 30's. A lot of people think that this might be or is, a hoax. But do we really need to take that chance of finding out????

Still say we opened to early

11 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

It will happen! All the better to create a surge before 11/3. You and I are pawns on a grand chess board.

But what happens in NYS is irrelevant.  All of our Electoral Votes will go to the dem. 

But I can see your logic is in play.

I think each child can be assessed on an individual basis. Is your child generally healthy? Are they capable of independent learning? Can they follow instructions regarding social distancing and maybe wearing a mask. I'm not sure what else.Teachers and parents must be  going nuts grappling with this. My daughter works for a private school and when I asked her about this a few months ago she said they are opening, people have to go to work. They are all set up computer wise to continue distance learning if things get worse but right now they are planning to open.

5 minutes ago, ginger said:

I think each child can be assessed on an individual basis. Is your child generally healthy? Are they capable of independent learning? Can they follow instructions regarding social distancing and maybe wearing a mask. I'm not sure what else.Teachers and parents must be  going nuts grappling with this. My daughter works for a private school and when I asked her about this a few months ago she said they are opening, people have to go to work. They are all set up computer wise to continue distance learning if things get worse but right now they are planning to open.

What about Social Distancing?  Only 12 students can ride a bus if the 6FT rule is used.

You are also ignoring the staff.  Not all school staff is healthy.  Some have dangerous risk factors.

10 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

What about Social Distancing?  Only 12 students can ride a bus if the 6FT rule is used.

You are also ignoring the staff.  Not all school staff is healthy.  Some have dangerous risk factors.

I didn't really get into too much detail with her but I'll ask. They had a movie night a few weeks ago that went very well.

^Perhaps that's the ticket, getting the younger children into the school this summer for activities to get them used to social distancing and masks...hand washing. We must be doing something like this already?

My question is this, if they don't open schools and I see both sides as to why they should open / why they shouldn't open, what are the working parents supposed to do with their children during times they are normally at school??

I've see some generic comments of "that's your problem you need to find daycare or whatever" but that isn't an option for everybody. 1 some daycares are still closed or less capacity and 2 some people just cannot afford daycare year round. 

By all means I'm not saying schools should just open so the children have a place to go, BUT I think if they do decide to keep schools closed they also need to come up with a solution to help those full time working parents

I know a young man who has 4 children ages 4,7,10 and a teenager.. navigating all of these classes, especially the teen...all of the programs are different. He said he and his wife are pulling out their hair.

You all think that this easy! Its not! Its up to us to what we have to do to protect our children of the future. But to put the children at risk? WTF are you thinking?

I would die to protect my children

2 hours ago, snowman60 said:

You all think that this easy! Its not! Its up to us to what we have to do to protect our children of the future. But to put the children at risk? WTF are you thinking?

Give us the percentages that kids will be at risk and then we can talk.

Percentage that catch it.

Percentage that are hospitalized.

Percentage that die.

It will be miniscule to zero.

If the children end up staying home I think I will probably volunteer to help tutor. I expect the teachers post a prospectus for each class? :) Where can I purchase formaldehyde? lol I'M KIDDING!!!

maybe not...

Forget the formaldehyde...I can get the same material across with a couple of boiled lobsters. In fact, I think I can create an entire curriculum out of a New England boiled dinner.

:) Have a nice night everyone.

4 hours ago, SouthSider09 said:

My question is this, if they don't open schools and I see both sides as to why they should open / why they shouldn't open, what are the working parents supposed to do with their children during times they are normally at school??

What do working parents do over the summer when there is no school? 

School is not supposed to be daycare but some people use it for that.

You can do what we did, work different shifts or different days.

10 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

What do working parents do over the summer when there is no school? 

School is not supposed to be daycare but some people use it for that.

You can do what we did, work different shifts or different days.

So if Mother and Father both work for a company that is open 8-5 Mon thru Friday how do you propose they work different shifts or different days?  

I never said school is supposed to be a daycare, but when children are required to be in school typically from End of August to End of June that is what parents plan for. You can try to flip it however you'd like but fact of the matter is from 1st grade to 12th grade children are typically in school 7:30am to 3:00pm Late August to Late June. Comparing to summer is not even close. Summer is about 11 weeks long, lot of parents utilize summer camps (currently closed) sports camps (currently closed) and take vacations which bring down the # of days they need to find child care during the summer. You are now talking this needs to be handled for 182 days if schools are closed and they are coming up with zero options to help working parents. 

Again, I'm not saying we need to jump into schools and force them all back just to have an option here ... but what I am saying is if they are talking about closed schools or hybrid schools they should also be discussing what they can do to help working parents with their children throughout the school year. Most of the daycare centers in this area are either still closed or running at partial capacity so they can't even accommodate their regular customers and now you are throwing thousands more into the mix

14 minutes ago, SouthSider09 said:

So if Mother and Father both work for a company that is open 8-5 Mon thru Friday how do you propose they work different shifts or different days?  

I never said school is supposed to be a daycare, but when children are required to be in school typically from End of August to End of June that is what parents plan for. You can try to flip it however you'd like but fact of the matter is from 1st grade to 12th grade children are typically in school 7:30am to 3:00pm Late August to Late June. Comparing to summer is not even close. Summer is about 11 weeks long, lot of parents utilize summer camps (currently closed) sports camps (currently closed) and take vacations which bring down the # of days they need to find child care during the summer. You are now talking this needs to be handled for 182 days if schools are closed and they are coming up with zero options to help working parents. 

Again, I'm not saying we need to jump into schools and force them all back just to have an option here ... but what I am saying is if they are talking about closed schools or hybrid schools they should also be discussing what they can do to help working parents with their children throughout the school year. Most of the daycare centers in this area are either still closed or running at partial capacity so they can't even accommodate their regular customers and now you are throwing thousands more into the mix.

Who is the they you are referring to?

17 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

But what happens in NYS is irrelevant.  All of our Electoral Votes will go to the dem. 

^ Few talk about this.

People always talk about the Electoral College and the Winner-Take-All system as if they're the same thing. The Winner-Take-All system was concocted by the states later, and some of the surviving Framers were enraged and considered it blatant corruption. The real effect isn't to give weight to smaller states, but instead, to make all but a few states completely irrelevant. A study of 2016 found that about 90% of campaign events were held in just ten states, and twenty-five states had none at all, including the nine smallest.

If we insisted on free voting in the Electoral College, as the Framers intended, places like upstate New York would get a lot more attention.

36 minutes ago, M_Sable said:

The Electoral College completely disregards the Framer's idea of "one man, one vote...now one person".

Why even bother to vote in NY for the Republican presidential candidate?

Because there are other candidates on the ballot.  It only takes seconds to fill in the bubble.

A few snippets from articles regarding the last time the government got involved in mass-immunization and 'fast tracked' the process - the '76 swine flu outbreak:

"The real victims of this pandemic were likely the 450-odd people who came down with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare neurological disorder, after getting the 1976 flu shot. On its website, the CDC notes that people who got the vaccination did have an increased risk of “approximately one additional case of GBS for every 100,000 people who got the swine flu vaccine.”

and

"..those who were infected with the flu only suffered from a mild illness while the vaccine, for the reasons stated
above, resulted in over four-hundred and fifty people developing the paralyzing Guillain-Barré syndrome.

As to schools re-opening: My bet would be they reopen in the fall and then be shut down in October for maximum damage effect.