NYS Legislature Hearings

ginger

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/nursing-home-state-senate-hearing-1.46815835

I will be going through every  coronavirus thread to make a list of every egregious action taken with regard to this situation. Please feel free to add on. I can tell you this, A ONE DAY HEARING FOR UPSTATE IS NOT ENOUGH. 

DEFUND THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH

Pete, off the top of my head without even reading..

1 At early onset, telling people they don't have to wear a mask or any kind of face covering.

2-Ignoring the nursing home medical directors' assertion that sending infected patients to a nursing home would be a death sentence for some.

2a-Ignoring medical directors missive that nursing home did not have the staff or resources to take on the extra work.

3-Directing emts to not start cpr on covid 19 patients...because emts can diagnose that.

4-Giving a false sense of security with their makeshift negative pressure rooms that did not contain the virus as evidenced by our very own County Nursing Home...and others upstate.

5-Not providing a separate facility (sanitorium) for infected patients...something that should have been done long ago as evidenced by high incidence of infection/relapse in nursing homes and hospitals

6-Transporting and admitting infected patients to hospitals and nursing homes from downstate when they had federal resources to handle this.

7-Forcing nursing staff to return to work after 7 days, in some cases 3 days, instead of 14.

8-Not inspecting nursing home to make sure they had proper and/or enough ppe.

9-Never ever doing anything about chronic short staffing. Allowing nursing homes and hospitals to operate at minimum or below minimum instead of ordering them to operate to optimum staffing levels. Zero consequences.

1 hour ago, PeteMoss said:

Indict Cuomo for manslaughter.

County Attorneys General should be doing this.

No legal consequences for anything related to the coronavirus. He thinks he's got immunity Pete. He does not see the policies he enacted via the department of health and implemented by the healthcare facilities as "gross negligence". 

The woman who took her mom out of Hilltop...she needs to write a statement and have it read into the record for that hearing. 

10- Floating nurses between infected and clean units..how many moms and babies were put at risk for infection? 

Where was the department of health while all of this was going on? This is basic infection control.

6 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Yes.

So how long will this immunity from lawsuits last? As long as a facility has at least one covid positive patient? As long as a community is in "some phase"? 

20 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Until the money runs out is my guess.

The money...Mayor David hands out $650,000...

Where are the "essential worker " Hero of the Pandemic bonuses? You know, the people who actually do the work around  here instead of spray painting graffiti all over the city and indulging us with their oh so boring rhetoric.

WHERE IS THEIR MONEY MAYOR DAVID? FRED, DONNA? 

THE GIRLS DON'T NEED ANOTHER....... PIZZA.

#14 This...fighting the virus as a priority instead of fighting/reducing the inflammation...(interleukin 6)

#15 more medical neglect.. people show up at a hospital, get sent home because the DOCTOR SAYS they aren't SICK ENOUGH  and within 24 hrs they end up on a vent or die

I SEE A SHIP IN THE HARBOR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i1dNZJDoQg

• 4 weeks later...

I have quite a bit to say regarding the hearings this week and last week but I'm not in a writing mood right now. If you aren't following NYS Senator Tom O'Mara you should be. #No Nonsense... Tomorrow the joint legislative body is having a hearing on how covid 19 affected business. I'll try to get the link here asap.

10 hours ago, M_Sable said:

Very bad call on Cuomo's part...let's take those who have tested positive and put them in with the most vulnerable. Brilliant.

Actually, a lot of the testimony I heard over the past 2 weeks...some patients were not tested at all upon discharge to nursing home. Nursing homes were refusing to send patients to the hospital even though the family insisted. It has not become clear yet whether these can be criminal or civil suits but for sure...ethics violations. Doctors and nurses have code of ethics related to their practice in NYS and they're obligated to follow in spite of Governor Cuomo and Howard Zucker and the NYS Department of Health. Case in point EMT's and Fire departments flat out telling the governor they will not obey his directive to not perform CPR. Too bad nurses and doctors did not have the same courage.  I think a complete review of every covid 19 patients discharge orders and plans of care should be undertaken. 

Another important issue...nursing homes are trying to deny employees workmans comp for covid 19. I told Senator O'Mara it should be imputed that a doctor or nurse caught covid 19 infection at work and they shouldn't have to prove it. I also told him I thought the 6 day waiting period should be waived especially since these employees have to quarantine.

So disgusting the staff has been working short, working overtime, having to reuse PPE and have their employers try to deny them workman's comp.

Another major argument that was made for upstate...the hospitals were not overrun like they supposedly were downstate. due to a lack of necessary or elective surgeries there were plenty of open beds. There was no rush to discharge a covid 19  patient to a nursing home.

5 hours ago, ginger said:

Actually, a lot of the testimony I heard over the past 2 weeks...some patients were not tested at all upon discharge to nursing home. Nursing homes were refusing to send patients to the hospital even though the family insisted. It has not become clear yet whether these can be criminal or civil suits but for sure...ethics violations. Doctors and nurses have code of ethics related to their practice in NYS and they're obligated to follow in spite of Governor Cuomo and Howard Zucker and the NYS Department of Health. Case in point EMT's and Fire departments flat out telling the governor they will not obey his directive to not perform CPR. Too bad nurses and doctors did not have the same courage.  I think a complete review of every covid 19 patients discharge orders and plans of care should be undertaken. 

Thank you Ginger, for your insights.