Sheriff Dave making up crimes against “black people” that didn’t happen

Ted Williams

If you missed yesterday’s press conference at the sheriff’s office, I highly suggest you go back and watch it. It’s on the WBNG and WICZ Facebook pages.

Dave Harder at one point turns the entire press conference against the local media. He first suggests they barely covered the burning of Rec. Park. I personally viewed countless stories on all tv news stations and the Press & Sun about this. WBNG is even running a tv ad to help rebuild the park. The sheriff is completely wrong on this. He couldn’t be more wrong.

Then the sheriff states "Did you see the news media say anything about the two Black people in a vehicle killed in a hit and run accident in Endwell? Did you see anything in the news media about the two Black people that had a shootout and shot each other? No. Why? Why is the news media hiding all these things? Things are happening no matter what color people are.”

I have seen nothing released by any local police agency that suggests any of those incidents happened.

Dave Harder has completely lost it folks. Those around him (Janis, Newcomb, Smolinsky) should not allow him to continue to do this.  If there are serious dementia issues, his family needs to step in. But when he’s clearly making shit up, it disgraces all current and former law enforcement. In my 20+ years in law enforcement, I never saw anything like Harder’s behavior yesterday.

I just finished watching the presser. I agree with the sheriffs in principle, that changes are needed to protect law enforcement. But Harder became unhinged as the event went on. I’m sure he’s like that off camera, but I was shocked he would act that way on camera.

And his anger is misguided. Take on the leaders of these fringe groups like PLOT. To call out the media, the newspaper specifically, was childish and beneath the office of the sheriff. I have plenty of criticisms of the newspaper, WBNG, and others, from time to time.  But I don’t think they have an agenda. Gannett has become increasingly liberal, but I think they are very fair to law enforcement.

The national media, like CNN, sure there is an agenda there. But it’s not our local media at fault for the bias in the national media.

The bottom line is, Harder is an embarrassment to himself and the sheriffs office. 

I'm just reading this now. The laundry list of new laws he wants is dangerously deranged and should anger any small government conservative. Harder is one of the "few bad apples", and for him to demand a stack of new felonies that would enable him to organize retaliation against people like Solak is impressive chutzpah. There are a lot of reforms that are needed - in both directions - but these are mostly not those.

Obviously, if he's able to speak about these supposed events publicly, he's acknowledging that protecting their secrecy is not vital to an ongoing investigation. Someone should file a FOIL request for his records related to the incidents he was describing.

...while they still can, I guess. Pretty soon he'll be agitating for Felony FOILing.

3 hours ago, Ted Williams said:

Then the sheriff states "Did you see the news media say anything about the two Black people in a vehicle killed in a hit and run accident in Endwell? Did you see anything in the news media about the two Black people that had a shootout and shot each other? No. Why? Why is the news media hiding all these things? Things are happening no matter what color people are.”

I don't know about those specific instances. But haven't people complained many times here on BCVoice that there are all sorts of crimes being committed in the community that the media has gone out of their way to cover up? Supposedly because they don't want to upset the rich out-of-town parents who send their children to SUNY-Broome and Binghamton University?

Harder may be right, but for the wrong reason. Yes, the media doesn't cover it. But race has nothing to do with it - it's all about worrying about the money flowing into the area.

However, I have no doubt that a certain race does account for a large amount of the crime. (But that's probably my white privilege talking, so feel free to ignore what I wrote.)

PS to Harder - haven't you noticed that, even though the newspaper has "Binghamton" in its name, its material and photos are predominantly Rochester in nature?

Been hearing most "news" doesn't hit our news media for years now.

Didn't see Harder's PC, but do agree about the lack of news coverage.

Heard someone talking at work a couple days ago about seeing multiple cop cars late Sunday night...LOTS of them over near North St area. Said the whole area was swarming.

Nothing in news at all.

Saw something last week on Nextdoor about a hit and run on the East Side, and about baseball bats hitting cars around Glenwood on the 4th.

Crickets on the news.

3 hours ago, vestalguest said:

Liberal activist Attorney Ben Bergman has been one of Harder’s biggest financial donors over the years. Does Bergman condone Harder’s use of the terms “blacks”, “black people”, and “those people”, at yesterday’s clusterfuck media event? 

From my understanding Bergman and Jackson are the Go-to attorneys for the Sheriff department. They maybe are on Retainer for the Dept. I know their firm has represented the Sheriff Dept. and Jail in many past cases. 

11 hours ago, YankeeDoodle said:

I don't know about those specific instances. But haven't people complained many times here on BCVoice that there are all sorts of crimes being committed in the community that the media has gone out of their way to cover up? Supposedly because they don't want to upset the rich out-of-town parents who send their children to SUNY-Broome and Binghamton University?

There are no rich out-of-town parents sending their kids to SUNY-Broome.

Also, a fire arm went off in the dorms and the general population did not know about it until the end of the semester.