Abels Pub- 30 Covid cases?

bballcoach

We live within walking distance of Abels Pub near Rec Park in Binghamton. Several of our neighbors are saying Abels has at least 30 confirmed Covid cases, but the media reported only one case. One neighbor we know is confirmed, he was there earlier this week. And he wasn’t the case that the media reported.

I recommend west siders be extra cautions for the next few weeks. I’m going to the grocery store in Vestal, instead of price chopper, no kidding.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bballcoach said:

We live within walking distance of Abels Pub near Rec Park in Binghamton. Several of our neighbors are saying Abels has at least 30 confirmed Covid cases, but the media reported only one case. One neighbor we know is confirmed, he was there earlier this week. And he wasn’t the case that the media reported.

I recommend west siders be extra cautions for the next few weeks. I’m going to the grocery store in Vestal, instead of price chopper, no kidding.

In the interest of accuracy, is that 30 cases or 30 testing positive ?

Earlier this week the Health Department issued advisories concerning possible exposures at the Ancient Order of Hybernians, the Beef Restaurant and Pub and the Colonial in Binghamton. 

Read More: JC Bar Named Possible COVID Exposure Site | https://wnbf.com/johnson-city-bar-identified-as-possible-covid-exposure-site/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

10 hours ago, thomas said:

Earlier this week the Health Department issued advisories concerning possible exposures at the Ancient Order of Hybernians, the Beef Restaurant and Pub and the Colonial in Binghamton. 

Also Fountains, Remlik's, Dillenger's, and I'm pretty sure this week's case at The Beef was a different case from from the other one reported the other week.

As far as I can tell, the climate effect on the is real but not strong enough to stop it in the summer. Instead, it seems like it just shifts to a weaker epidemic in hot areas where people are hanging out indoors with the air conditioning on and the doors and windows closed - Arizona, Florida, Texas. The United Kingdom, France, and Spain are spiking new case counts far higher than the first wave just as the weather cools back down.

Has been a beautiful summer while we had it. Might not be a bad idea to get your toilet paper, frozen vegetables, personal care/workout supplies, and whatever you need to make the winter enjoyable now. (Bicycles were not easy to get this summer.) I doubt they'll shut down fully again, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if bars and indoor dining go, with retail going back to curbside pickup. May not be much to do this winter and we might need to make our own fun for a while, and it would suck to be filling the freezer at the same time the shelves are stripped for Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners.

12 minutes ago, Bingoloid said:

Also Fountains, Remlik's, Dillenger's, and I'm pretty sure this week's case at The Beef was a different case from from the other one reported the other week.

As far as I can tell, the climate effect on the is real but not strong enough to stop it in the summer. Instead, it seems like it just shifts to a weaker epidemic in hot areas where people are hanging out indoors with the air conditioning on and the doors and windows closed - Arizona, Florida, Texas. The United Kingdom, France, and Spain are spiking new case counts far higher than the first wave just as the weather cools back down.

Has been a beautiful summer while we had it. Might not be a bad idea to get your toilet paper, frozen vegetables, personal care/workout supplies, and whatever you need to make the winter enjoyable now. (Bicycles were not easy to get this summer.) I doubt they'll shut down fully again, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if bars and indoor dining go, with retail going back to curbside pickup. May not be much to do this winter and we might need to make our own fun for a while, and it would suck to be filling the freezer at the same time the shelves are stripped for Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners.

As it is now, Lysol disinfecting detergent is hard to find. Also if you want to start a home gym, start now.

3 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

As it is now, Lysol disinfecting detergent is hard to find. Also if you want to start a home gym, start now.

Yeah. York Barbell's web store is operating again - for now.

Wegmans also has some Method Antibac in stock. It's not rated specifically for coronaviruses but is for rhinoviruses and influenza, so it probably does a fine job sanitizing doorknobs, etc.

21 minutes ago, Bingoloid said:

Yeah. York Barbell's web store is operating again - for now.

Wegmans also has some Method Antibac in stock. It's not rated specifically for coronaviruses but is for rhinoviruses and influenza, so it probably does a fine job sanitizing doorknobs, etc.

Due to Covid conditions, York can’t fulfill orders at this time 😷

9 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Due to Covid conditions, York can’t fulfill orders at this time 😷

Weird. I can add an item to the cart and click all the way through to payment right now, although a lot of things are out of stock. I don't see that message anywhere.

As of a month ago, they were only opening their store for about an hour around 11am, but orders were coming in so fast they'd have to shut it back down to catch up. That was how I finally got my stuff.

A big part of the problem now, as I understand it, in the bar and restaurant industry, is employees are catching Covid and not being honest with the employers that they have it, and not being honest with contract tracers about where they've been and where they work.  

We saw a lot of "out an abundance of caution, we will be closing for X number of days".  But now that more employees are catching it, these places can't afford to shut down for another week.  So employees who have Covid are saying someone in their family has it, or they were exposed to it, when they actually have it.  That way the employee doesn't work, and the bar doesn't shut down, but it doesn't help all of the people who were exposed to the sick employee, because they won't be contacted by a contract tracer and there won't be a public health alert.

54 minutes ago, Clyde said:

A big part of the problem now, as I understand it, in the bar and restaurant industry, is employees are catching Covid and not being honest with the employers that they have it, and not being honest with contract tracers about where they've been and where they work.  

We saw a lot of "out an abundance of caution, we will be closing for X number of days".  But now that more employees are catching it, these places can't afford to shut down for another week.  So employees who have Covid are saying someone in their family has it, or they were exposed to it, when they actually have it.  That way the employee doesn't work, and the bar doesn't shut down, but it doesn't help all of the people who were exposed to the sick employee, because they won't be contacted by a contract tracer and there won't be a public health alert.

Clyde, you nailed this.

1 hour ago, Bingoloid said:

Also Nirchi's in Vestal, and St. John the Evangelist Elementary. Trying to be optimistic, but this is pretty concerning. County's counter jumped to 128.

...and a lot of these are part-time jobs where the staff juggle multiple jobs at different restaurants.

Rossi’s in Endicott closed due to two sick employees.