OLUMS major layoffs??? 50 let go in last week?

BinghamtonBill

I have become so cynical that I believe that while this " pandemic"  is certainly very real from a medical perspective, it quickly became an opportunistic political tool by the Trump haters and power hungry to deceive those who chose not to observe and question and to destroy Trump's strong suit.....the economy stupid.

The World Health Organization ((WHO) just very recently came out with the pronouncement warning that total shut downs could have drastic negative impacts on the economies of countries!!! Brilliant. This is the same lame organization that played in bed with China at the genisis of the pandemic and was first called out and exposed on it by guess WHO? Our President. 

And as for Olum's and so many other struggling locally based businesses, look no further than to our sorry assed NYS "leaders" like no-bail Donna Lupardo who were astonishingly quick to divest themselves of their individual legislative powers and responsibilities granting Cuomo dictatorial power to reign as he wished. He still does. This, subsequent to his consistently having proven his ego driven gross ineptitude (nursing homes, ventilators, illogical select closings/openings etc..). And these same legislators all continue to get paid-in-full while doing nothing to regain the sworn responsibilities of their elective office. Instead they choose to continue to sit back to watch their state and local communities suffer horribly as they hurdle towards bankruptcy at the helm of a cavalier Governor working unaffected like them at guaranteed full pay.  

In retrospect, two of the most logical and common sensical positions were put forward very early on. One by former Governor Huckabee who while warning of this being a dark opportunity for the power hungry politicians, stated that this being a contagion type disease based on density....people living in Idaho should not be treated exactly as those living in mid town Manhattan. And Senator/ Dr. Rand Paul who pointed out that the CDC's Dr Fauci was not the end all in this crisis and that history would show that this ordeal be characterized by one bad predicition followed by another .....and as such....the strategic approach should focus on following working models from other areas instead of continuing with a defective prediction based approach. 

The fact that a time-honored company like Olums has to lay people off is heartbreaking.  Meanwhile, the stimulus went to large corporations and people with the right connections. It's a pathetic situation that both parties are responsible for. Third-Party, Term Limits, Campaign Finance Reform.

26 minutes ago, M_Sable said:

The fact that a time-honored company like Olums has to lay people off is heartbreaking.  Meanwhile, the stimulus went to large corporations and people with the right connections. It's a pathetic situation that both parties are responsible for. Third-Party, Term Limits, Campaign Finance Reform.

Very well said. Garo needs a Like button for BCVoice. 

Agree with both above^^^ the WHO and Dr Fauci and Andy Cuomo and De Blasio turned what should have been a 2 month covid flu season into a 2-3 year ordeal because they refused to follow basic infection control protocol from the beginning. Telling people not to wear a mask and go about their business...I told you to wear a mask on March 1st. If everyone immediately responded according to what the NURSES in Washington State were saying we would not still have this stupid virus...it should have been gone by May. But no, these YaWHO's and the CDC and the Department of health..

As for Olums...doesn't Mayor David have control of CARES act money?.Or did he pass it all out to not for profits for BLM related expenses? PEOPLE WHO CONTRIBUTE ZERO TO THE TAX BASE.

Yesterday idiots Tish James and Governor Cuomo post Happy Hand Washing Day! on twitter. They have a lot of nerve considering nurses and aides are still working short staffed and the pandemic, which brought all manner of nursing home deficiencies to the public's eye are still being ignored. SHORT STAFFING IS THEFT OF SERVICES...but I see Tish James is going to ignore that while she spends her time fishing for something... ANYTHING! against President Trump and his family. 

1 hour ago, ginger said:

Agree with both above^^^ the WHO and Dr Fauci and Andy Cuomo and De Blasio turned what should have been a 2 month covid flu season into a 2-3 year ordeal because they refused to follow basic infection control protocol from the beginning. Telling people not to wear a mask and go about their business...I told you to wear a mask on March 1st. If everyone immediately responded according to what the NURSES in Washington State were saying we would not still have this stupid virus...it should have been gone by May. But no, these YaWHO's and the CDC and the Department of health..

As for Olums...doesn't Mayor David have control of CARES act money?.Or did he pass it all out to not for profits for BLM related expenses? PEOPLE WHO CONTRIBUTE ZERO TO THE TAX BASE.

Isn’t Olums in Vestal?  I dont live in town, but seem to remember Olums being in a plaza on the Vestal Pkwy. 

do they still have the place on Clinton St?

8 hours ago, ndirish said:

Isn’t Olums in Vestal?  I dont live in town, but seem to remember Olums being in a plaza on the Vestal Pkwy. 

do they still have the place on Clinton St?

I can think of at least 6-10 of their employees who are City of Binghamton homeowners. I'm guessing it's more.

14 hours ago, ndirish said:

I don’t think that would make Olums eligible for any $ Mayor David may have available. 

Perhaps their laid off employees who own homes here could get some help? Somebody should reach out and not make them beg. 

Hate to see any home-town businesses have to do this, but given the way they treated some of their customers during this thing, I'm not surprised. If you bought something there and it couldn't be delivered due to lockdown/shutdown being bestowed upon us, doesn't the customer you took money from at least deserve a courtesy call letting them know what's going on? I guess that would mean you would have to deal with angry customers and probably refund their money - can't have that, can we? The old adage is true - better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, especially now when good jobs are scarce.

However:

My fiancé and I went to Olums last week looking to purchase new bedroom furniture.  I found a set I really liked....the price for a queen bed, dresser, and two night stands (without tax and a mattress) was just over $5,000.   We had to seek out an employee who could barely be bothered to answer a couple of questions for us.

We decided to go to Raymour & Flanigan to comparison shop.  We found a similar bed set but a little nicer.  The night stands have USB ports and a slide out tray; plus we found a dual reclining sofa with USB ports built in.  The total price for the bed set and sofa was about $3,500 and included the warranty on the sofa's electronic parts.  Our sales lady checked on us occasionally as we were looking and once we decided, she answered all our questions and had the paperwork done in 10 minutes.

This is the second time that R&F has won out over Olums with price and service.