FOOD

ginger

I could swear I started a thread with this title so we could find it easily. Well here it is.

I recently tried Rao's Bolognese sauce in a jar. My daughter had been to their restaurant. She said it was good. Avoid the jarred sauce. There is plenty of meat but the sauce was completely lacking in taste. I might add a package of taco mix to the remainder of the jar and make something out of it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I think I have tried almost all of them including store 'house' brands but it seems I always go back to Prego Traditional as my 'good enough' solution. Bottom line is the best sauce is something you do on the fly with vine ripe cherry tomatoes, olive oil, a bit of garlic, fresh basil, and sea salt. In the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta the sauce is ready. The problem is the vine ripe cherry tomatoes are not always available (and even when they are, they sometimes are pretty pathetic quality). But that's the price we pay living in a quantity over quality world.

Kaz there was a time I would never even consider purchasing jarred sauce. I always have my own sauce in the freezer or the makings in my pantry. Ever since I tried that sauce from Jersey...once in a while I will buy a jarred sauce just to keep in case I don't take my own out of the freezer. The exception is It's a Utica thing Chicken Riggie sauce. That has become a staple. 

Speaking of tomatoes...I was at Russels yesterday...if you want to make sauce a box/carton of tomatoes for  $10.00. I did not buy them because I have other stuff I want to freeze..I bought more green beans and strawberries. However, the best buy right now...a quart of heirloom tomatoes for $4.00. I had a blt for breakfast. The tomato was soooooperfect. 

Tonight I made a bacon cheeseburger meatloaf. I made it a little differently this time, by putting the bacon on top of the meatloaf, rather in the mix. I enjoyed it very much. It’s getting late but I may still drive down to the Weis, their store made apple pie is on sale. It’s actually quite good. If I don’t have a few pieces tonight I’ll have it tomorrow morning with my coffee.

I have an insatiable hunger for life! 

I use Prego Traditional sauce as a base and then add my own cooked tomatoes and some other seasonings to it.  I've done a meatloaf stuffed with ham and cheese that came out rather well.  I'm still looking for an outstanding Alfredo sauce though.  I had one recipe given to me that had cream cheese in it, and it was good - but it was still missing something.  

I have my home made macaroni and cheese that can't be beat - I use River Rat 18 year old extra sharp cheddar cheese in it, along with onions and dry mustard.  I have to go to Clayton, NY to get the cheese as they do not have this locally.  They don't have a lot of it so they only sell it in Clayton.

22 hours ago, Kaz said:

Over the years I think I have tried almost all of them including store 'house' brands but it seems I always go back to Prego Traditional as my 'good enough' solution. Bottom line is the best sauce is something you do on the fly with vine ripe cherry tomatoes, olive oil, a bit of garlic, fresh basil, and sea salt. In the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta the sauce is ready. The problem is the vine ripe cherry tomatoes are not always available (and even when they are, they sometimes are pretty pathetic quality). But that's the price we pay living in a quantity over quality world.

You got it Kaz!  Growing our own tomatoes helps.  If being lazy we'll pop a jar of Classico Garlic & Basil and jazz it up with some olive oil, dried oregano, and crushed red pepper and let it simmer for a while.  The jarred sauce is pretty much whatever hits your taste buds. I wish we still had access to good Italian food like you can find in BC.  People in Virginia think that Olive Garden has great Italian food.

5 hours ago, M_Sable said:

.... I wish we still had access to good Italian food like you can find in BC.  People in Virginia think that Olive Garden has great Italian food.

M_Sable - I guess that's 1 redeeming quality of living here, there is an abundance of choices for Italian food, although the quality is definitely NOT what it used to be across the board. Still a few places around that do it well. Funny you mention Olive Garden - my kid says that's the absolute worst.

6 hours ago, Kaz said:

M_Sable - I guess that's 1 redeeming quality of living here, there is an abundance of choices for Italian food, although the quality is definitely NOT what it used to be across the board. Still a few places around that do it well. Funny you mention Olive Garden - my kid says that's the absolute worst.

Kaz...growing up my Mom & Dad used to take us to Gance's on the North Side of Endicott.  Great Italian Food (especially the Scampi Parmiagana) and this big fish tank that covered most of a wall...a great way to keep kids entertained just watching all of the fish.  Long gone now since  Tony died.

lol 27 :) now I'll be singing that heehaw song in my head all night...I mean morning...whatever time it is...I have to go to bed...soooovertired....sillytired...The first time I ever saw Hee Haw was at a sleepover at my best friend's house. The next week I made my parents watch it. I don't think they were too impressed but I recall my brother and I thought it was hilarious. In this video I recognize Pat Boone and Johnny Cash. I have no idea who the other guests are.

38 minutes ago, ginger said:

lol 27 :) now I'll be singing that heehaw song in my head all night...I mean morning...whatever time it is...I have to go to bed...soooovertired....sillytired...The first time I ever saw Hee Haw was at a sleepover at my best friend's house. The next week I made my parents watch it. I don't think they were too impressed but I recall my brother and I thought it was hilarious. In this video I recognize Pat Boone and Johnny Cash. I have no idea who the other guests are.

Wowza! That was Johnny Bench in the mix. Thought I saw Conway Twitty in there too. I mostly watched for the Hee Haw Honeys 😃 

*Edit - found this in the comments:

220-DE2-A6-FF5-F-48-C1-9976-2-B623-FD131

^ Thanks 27, I looked for the comments and didn't see any...in fact my computer doesn't show them on YouTube anymore. I don't know why. My computer has been acting crazy lately. A lot of times it won't let me see the comments on twitter either. On top of that, I was searching Trivago for hotels a few months back hoping to get a few days at the Cape...I can't get rid of the web site now. It's always in my backdrop. I've tried unplugging and shutting down, forcing the shutdown to close the program, pulling the battery. It's really annoying because out of nowhere it will pop up and say "ARE YOU STILL THERE?" 

Johnny Bench...makes sense now.  :) I'd never heard of Barbara Fairchild (or a few of the other people) Love This. Thanks again, have a great weekend...

On 10/28/2020 at 12:37 PM, ginger said:

I could swear I started a thread with this title so we could find it easily. Well here it is.

I recently tried Rao's Bolognese sauce in a jar. My daughter had been to their restaurant. She said it was good. Avoid the jarred sauce. There is plenty of meat but the sauce was completely lacking in taste. I might add a package of taco mix to the remainder of the jar and make something out of it.

That’s too bad, considering it’s $7.99/jar.

I bought a jar of their Alfredo with a $3 coupon, but haven’t tried it yet.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:00 AM, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

I use Prego Traditional sauce as a base and then add my own cooked tomatoes and some other seasonings to it.  I've done a meatloaf stuffed with ham and cheese that came out rather well.  I'm still looking for an outstanding Alfredo sauce though.  I had one recipe given to me that had cream cheese in it, and it was good - but it was still missing something.  

I have my home made macaroni and cheese that can't be beat - I use River Rat 18 year old extra sharp cheddar cheese in it, along with onions and dry mustard.  I have to go to Clayton, NY to get the cheese as they do not have this locally.  They don't have a lot of it so they only sell it in Clayton.

This morning I found the River Rat cheese in Byrne Dairy at the Lafayette exit. I took the only bar of their 3yr old and and a bar of their sharp. I just looked at their website and I'm thinking I'm going to order something for my daughter and her husband for Christmas. 

There's a silly story that kind of goes with that...one day when she was little we were driving across the Bevier St Bridge and something was crossing the road...it was very early in the morning...I don't know if it was a river rat or a possum but while we were stopped waiting for this thing the song Don't go chasing Waterfalls came on the radio and I started singing to her...Don't go chasing river rats..please stick to puppies and the kittens you're used to...She just thought that was the silliest and within a week had all of her girlfriends change the words to that song....GUESS YOU HAD TO BE THERE...LOL :) 

On 10/29/2020 at 12:01 PM, M_Sable said:

You got it Kaz!  Growing our own tomatoes helps.  If being lazy we'll pop a jar of Classico Garlic & Basil and jazz it up with some olive oil, dried oregano, and crushed red pepper and let it simmer for a while.  The jarred sauce is pretty much whatever hits your taste buds. I wish we still had access to good Italian food like you can find in BC.  People in Virginia think that Olive Garden has great Italian food.

I'm amazed that people think Tony's or Nick's is good Italian as well.  I still prefer Oak's Inn or Ristorante Dell Arco, although I do miss Gance's.  Little Venice sauce is a little too sweet for me, and their Alfredo sauce recipe has changed?  Not as good as it used to be.

I made the mac n cheese using cavatappi pasta instead of elbows. I didn't have dried mustard so I coated the macaroni with butter and Herlocher's sweet and rough dipping mustard then added the sharp cheese and baked. I'm sorry I didn't use more of the mustard...I only used 2 heaping teaspoons for 3/4 of a box of pasta...double that next time.

I use the cavatappi or shells. My daughters favorite is shell mac salad with baby shrimp. One of my nephews likes mac salad with fake crab. Personally I like albacore tuna but no one else does. Oh well, nobody lives here anymore so it's not like I have to cook for them. SO Distressing! I'm still trying to learn to cook smaller portioned meals. 

I'm also thinking about thanksgiving this year. I'm still way creeped out about that huge worm. I want to do just a turkey breast but UH! NO DARK MEAT? Maybe I can purchase legs separately? No turkey neck to pick on while the parade is on? I know I know, first world problems. And I keep saying I'm going to buy a smaller turkey but somehow only 20lb or larger are all that's left. This weekend...this weekend I will get a right sized turkey! From Wegmans.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up purchasing a 12 lb Jenny-O at Price Chopper for $6.00. I just couldn't stand the thought of dealing with the crowds at Wegmans.  I wish some grocery store would go back to being open 24 hours. The turkey was clean, cooked up fine. I usually put the chestnut dressing in the cavity and the bread stuffing in the back end. The turkey was too small even though I only cooked half the stuffing I usually make. I ended up putting all of the bread stuffing in the turkey and baking the chestnut dressing in a bowl.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:00 AM, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

I just used half the bar of the 3 year old River Rat cheese in pasta salad...WOW. I can't imagine what the 18 year old tastes like...this is pretty sharp.