FOOD

ginger

Does any Chinese place still make a decent chicken & broccoli? For years, no matter where I ordered from, it was at least edible. The absolute best was from the place near Price Chopper in Endicott. Either someone bought all the restaurants out or the Chinese FDA mandated they all change the recipe because the stuff I get now, no matter where, is terrible. It used to have a rich flavorful dark sauce but now it's some bland pale coating that tastes like it's out of a condiment packet. It's disgusting. And they are all doing it. C'mon man....does anyone still make it the old way?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, Kaz said:

Does any Chinese place still make a decent chicken & broccoli? For years, no matter where I ordered from, it was at least edible. The absolute best was from the place near Price Chopper in Endicott. Either someone bought all the restaurants out or the Chinese FDA mandated they all change the recipe because the stuff I get now, no matter where, is terrible. It used to have a rich flavorful dark sauce but now it's some bland pale coating that tastes like it's out of a condiment packet. It's disgusting. And they are all doing it. C'mon man....does anyone still make it the old way?

If you request "brown" sauce they will make it for you. I have to do that on the few and far between occasions I choose to order Pork Egg Foo Yong., otherwise they glop that greasy pale tasteless gravy on it...so gross. 

4 hours ago, ginger said:

If you request "brown" sauce they will make it for you. I have to do that on the few and far between occasions I choose to order Pork Egg Foo Yong., otherwise they glop that greasy pale tasteless gravy on it...so gross. 

Thank you Ginger I'll give that a try.

• 1 month later...

What a treat! On my way home this morning I stopped at the Baltimore NYS thruway rest stop...the one heading North...They have coffee and sell a bunch of made in NY items...soda cheese, honey, soap, syrup, icecream, and some meat...it's frozen. I picked out a package of Brooklyn cured Duck Fennel Sausage. I just had a taste of it...outstanding. It was pricey $11.99 for 4 links but I took sauce out of the freezer for a side of capellini. So the meal itself isn't expensive. Next time I'm doing a wedge salad, with homemade blue cheese and this sausage sliced instead of bacon. The sausage is precooked, I just browned it in a teflon pan and let it heat through. I think this product may be too delicate to grill and probably will not taste significantly better.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CR8xZH98qedXrm9j6 

On 12/5/2020 at 8:28 PM, Kaz said:

Thank you Ginger I'll give that a try.

Follow up, I ordered from Moon Star last week..both the chicken and broccoli and the pork egg foo yong were perfectly fresh...sesame shrimp and fried rice...all fresh cooked. I wish I didn't live so far away or I would order it more often. Definitely a step above. 

And Friendlies in Cortland reopened. Unfortunately they hiked the prices way up...$14.95 for a double cheeseburger and fries...$14.95 for the fish,fries and coleslaw. I was starving and stressed for time but the price point is too high for that type of meal. $10.95 for the burger and fries is more reasonable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Two dinners at Stormin' Crab were cheaper than 2 dinners at Friendly's. I ordered delivery from Grub Hub, tipped the driver 20% and it was still cheaper. 

The french fries are good as is the fried shrimp. Skip the corn on the cob. Unless you are dying for fried oysters..I was...I don't recommend them. They provided enough ketchup and cocktail sauce...no tartar and no lemon. NO LEMON WITH FRIED OYSTERS!!! :) I had a lemon in the house...and tartar sauce.

I'm definitely going to try them again...especially since the price was right and I can get delivery.

I really wanted to have Direnzo's Fish which GrubHub delivers but the fish wasn't on the menu. 

Driving was hard last night...I really did not want to leave the house when I got home. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jersey Mike's is open in Oneonta...exit 15.  Last week on my way home I had been grocery shopping at the PC in Emmons and the girls said their subs are as good their reputation. They don't open until 10 am so I'll have to wait for a late day to stop there.

I just came from Maines...nice heads of cauliflower for $1.79. Doing that tomorrow with a small london broil. Asparagus was $1.29 for a small bunch.

42 minutes ago, JoeTheDrunk said:

Want a good sub locally go to Guiseppe's in Chenango Bridge.

Thanks..that sounds like it's on my way home too. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Last 2 ears of corn from last summer warming through. I still have frozen peppers, brussel sprouts, green beans and snow peas. 

I didn't think these veggies would keep this long frozen. I thought for sure the green beans and snow peas would get freezer burn by now. I don't have any frost build up. Nothing appears to have lost it's flavor. I'm definitely doing more corn this year. It was worth the freezer space. Less brussel sprouts. More cauliflower...I ran out of that quickly.

• 3 months later...

I wish some grocery store would go back to being open 24/7. I just came home from Wegmans. I kept telling myself, just grab what you need and get out...well you know that that didn't happen. 

I'm about to try my hand at cooking sesame shrimp with stir fry veggies. I knew I didn't have time to make fried rice so I bought Wegmans already cooked. I bought an electric wok at a garage sale over the weekend for $5.00...I don't think it's ever been used.

Well I guess I'd better be up and doing. I have a hellish weekend ahead of me for work so...If I don't post, I'm not dead...yet. lol  :) 

Blast from the past...

I decided shrimp cocktail tasted really good today. That wok may never get used. No matter, silly me, I purchased the toasted sesame oil and...forgot to buy the sesame seeds...I didn't even see any. Next time. :) 

13 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Oh, you can find lots of other uses for that sesame oil, trust me!

lol Toup, :) I see I can use it on my face! 

Seriously I'll probably try do sesame chicken one day next week. The recipe looks super easy. My daughter has been doing these interactive zoom cooking classes with world class chefs and has made some amazing dishes. the classes she's attended weren't cheap but i found this on You tube...works for me and the chef is so affable.

• 5 months later...

OH GUESS WHERE I AM! OCEAN STATE JOB LOTS IN JC.

I only purchased a couple of things but...

BROOKS BBQ out of Oneonta is doing chicken BBQ till 2pm. $15.00 

You get a half chicken, foil wrapped grilled baked potato, Cole slaw,roll butter. Chocolate chip cookie and bottled.water.

I didn't get one chicken dinner this summer. It's drive up, CASH ONLY.

The chicken was very good, moist, brined and most importantly cooked through. The Cole Slaw on the other hand is STELLAR! It definitely didn't come out of a gallon jar. Fresh with a hint of horseradish. I'm getting lunch and dinner out of this meal but gee do I wish I had a bit more of that slaw.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so making this tomorrow and serving with some kind of rice...I have to look in my cupboard..my daughter sent me the recipe. I'm skipping the cumin though..I can't stand that flavor...maybe paprika instead or just plain garlic powder...

https://nerdswithknives.com/chicken-lime-garlic-cilantro/

On 2/3/2021 at 4:25 PM, ginger said:

Follow up, I ordered from Moon Star last week..both the chicken and broccoli and the pork egg foo yong were perfectly fresh...sesame shrimp and fried rice...all fresh cooked. I wish I didn't live so far away or I would order it more often. Definitely a step above. 

IMO, Moon Star is the best one in the area. The spicy casserole dishes are great, the ginger scallion chicken, too. Everything does always taste really fresh.

I also recommend Red Chili in Vestal for people who like heat. Western Chinese - Sichuan/Uighur dishes. That dry-rubbed cumin lamb is my weakness, maybe some tea tree mushrooms on the side to share with the table. Wash it down with a cold beer.

16 hours ago, ginger said:

I'm skipping the cumin though..I can't stand that flavor

You would not like my homemade chili powder.

8 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

IMO, Moon Star is the best one in the area. The spicy casserole dishes are great, the ginger scallion chicken, too. Everything does always taste really fresh.

I also recommend Red Chili in Vestal for people who like heat. Western Chinese - Sichuan/Uighur dishes. That dry-rubbed cumin lamb is my weakness, maybe some tea tree mushrooms on the side to share with the table. Wash it down with a cold beer.

You would not like my homemade chili powder.

Oh cumin...chili powder...I was thinking curry...that's the one I hate. Too bad I'm not making that now...I have to go to work early...

Thanks for the heads up! Too funny you knew...because we've all been posting here so long, lol! You probably make that chili powder blazing...I'll stick to Carroll Shelby's in the box thanks! :) 

I hadn't eaten at the SPOT diner in decades. Back in the eighties or nineties I had a bad meal and horrible server both on the same night and never even thought of going back.

So Thursday I had time to eat half a can of Progresso chicken with wild rice soup. Friday I had time to eat a container of Greek yogurt.  I was too tired to snack in the car beyond my 2 clementine oranges. 

Saturday rolls around and I'm starving but I'm not even home and I have to work again in about 5 hours so I pull over and start scouring Grub Hub to see if I can get a meal on New Years Day.

The broiled scallops were good, presentation nice..a little lettuce and cinnamon apple ring garnish, one little wedge of lemon for a great portion of scallops. They also included tartar and cocktail sauce but I just use lemon on broiled. Next time I'll just make a notation when I order.

The mashed potatoes were red skinned and I think they mash them in their own water...kind of tasteless and pasty. Opt for fries or baked.

The greek side salad was stellar. Bright, fresh a bigger size than I expected.

I'll definitely order again...probably fish. 

On 12/29/2021 at 7:33 AM, 2pelo Honey said:

Oh, boy, I’d keep the cumin.

Yep, in fact that dish probably would have benefitted from Bings chili powder..it needed a little heat. The dish is yummy ...I used sesame oil instead of olive oil. 

Skip the cilantro...it's not needed and overpowers the sauce. 

• 2 months later...

I'm just leaving Speedway..Todays special .. $3.14 for a 15 inch pepperoni pizza. 5 minute wait. 2 pizza limit..I think you need your card.

Can't beat that!