FOOD

ginger

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clam Shack New England Clam Chowder out of Rhode Island. $12.99/quart @ Price Chopper

Don't bother. Tasteless, not enough clams. I didn't care for the ultra smooth consistency of the base.

I just didn't have time to make my own or else I wouldn't have paid that price. I was just hungry for it and hoped it would be good. It's on my "to do " list for today.

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I've wondered about that soup at Weis...glad I didn't spend the high price for mediocre product. 

Thanks for the info. 

Lol I'd rather buy Progresso then add a can of minced clams to it. 

• 6 months later...

I ordered Philly cheesesteak and a small pizza from NYChefs this week. Must be a sign of the times, the cheese was definitely NOT what they usually use. Low moisture part skim? This stuff tasted like cheese flavored water. There was nothing to it. If they think they can hide the lack of quality by over cooking they are mistaken.

Too bad, this was my when in doubt "go to" place. And, it's not like I don't always tip them because I do.

• 4 weeks later...

So done with take out. Nirchi's 4:30 in the afternoon and there are no more delivery drivers going out. Just missed them. Pizza Hut. Completely undercooked pizza...$38.00 total for door dash.

Done.

• 3 months later...

If it ain't broke,don't fix it. 

I purchased 2 loaves of Irish Soda bread at Price Chopper. Threw one in the freezer. I don't know what they did to it but it's less dense, less sweet.  Crumbly and dry. 

Heinz ketchup. 14oz $3.29. Just normal ketchup, not organic. 

People with kids must be going nuts out there with prices.

Thanks Felix Roma for dropping the price of bread. Every little bit counts. 

If it ain't broke,don't fix it. 

I purchased 2 loaves of Irish Soda bread at Price Chopper. Threw one in the freezer. I don't know what they did to it but it's less dense, less sweet.  Crumbly and dry. 

Heinz ketchup. 14oz $3.29. Just normal ketchup, not organic. 

People with kids must be going nuts out there with prices.

Thanks Felix Roma for dropping the price of bread. Every little bit counts. 

20 hours ago, WolfMan said:

What if it IS broke?
i.e. your double posts problem  😉
::: just funnin' with ya :::

I don't know why my phone double posts like that! Do you?

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I had good luck with Irish Soda Bread at Weis last year.

Very good.

Even better as french toast. 

The soda bread at Weis was great last year! It's usually good every year but I wasn't shopping there. Maybe tomorrow. 

Lol, I just saw this video of some woman showing how they are making butter like fats from bugs...larvae to be specific. 

I'm at the point where I don't want to purchase prepared foods anymore. I've always cooked from scratch but I'm not much of a baker...except for cookies. I don't have time to read labels to see if the product is made with cricket parts or maggot fat. I think last week they passed legislation saying any white liquid can be called milk. 

• 2 months later...

As mentioned, I just came from Weis. I've never made pulled pork. They had a really well marbled hunk of pork shoulder butt roast...8 lbs of it at $1.69 lb...total cost $13.57 so I'm not going to feel terrible if I screw it up.

The question is why. Why now when after all of these years of purchasing Jack Daniels or Dinosaur BBQ, I would all of a sudden need to make such trouble for myself? Wellllll.....

Last month I was on my way home from the Catskills. The only thing I had to eat all day was a mandarin orange and I was starving. I'm going through all of these little towns thinking I'm going to be stuck getting McDonald's when I see this place called Outpost BBQ in Kerhonkson which is a little outside of Ellenville. 

As you all know I will follow my nose to BBQ at 7am...I  can tell you right now, there is NO BBQ like this anywhere in NYS. I got the pulled pork. Came with cucumber salad and potato salad. I also ordered potato pancakes which were outstanding. Came with sour cream and apple sauce. 

SO now I'm on this kick to replicate that meal. This pork was so juicy I could have eaten the roll by itself and been happy. It didn't need BBQ sauce...which was served on the side....two kinds, sweet and spicy.

Suggestions? I don't have a smoker but bought mesquite liquid smoke and rub.

Do I want to do this in the oven or crock pot? How do I get that slight vinegar taste? I bought a new bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar. I'm pretty sure I have any other spices I may need.

9 hours ago, ndirish said:

We do ours in an electric roaster. Dry rub before putting it in. 

You can buy eastern Carolina vinegar based sauce, or make your own. Plenty of recipes online. 

For sweeter stuff, Sweet Baby Ray is pretty good, and widely available. 

Thanks so much.. Eastern Carolina is exactly what I was looking for. You'd think someone who follows her nose all over the countryside looking for BBQ would know that. I did not. I looked at a bunch of recipes for both oven and crockpot. I'm still not sure which method I'm going to use. So dumb. I know 2 or 3 people with smokers. I may end up calling one of them. As soon as I get up and moving I'll go ahead and dress the meat and make the marinate. Cook it tomorrow morning.

Also, I didn't know an 8lb hunk of pork like that will cook down to 4 lbs. 

Thanks again for directing me to the right recipes. That subtle vinegar with the mesquite bark...I never would have guessed Eastern Carolina. 🙂

So..here's what I've done so far..rinsed the meat, patted dry with paper towels. Applied an entire jar of McCormicks mesquite rub. I did not coat with mustard because I didn't think it needed it. The was no huge fat side so I left it as is. There was a flap. The recipe says to fill it worsterchire sauce. I was really tempted to fill it with garlic cloves. I filled it with Rufus Teague steaksauce which kind of tastes like a cross between steak sauce a BBQ sauce. It's wrapped in plastic and sitting in a disposable deep tin foil pan.  Fits perfectly. I'm thinking tomorrow morning, I'll remove the wrap, pour 1 inch of beer in the bottom and cook at 250 degrees for who knows how long.

Sometime later I'll make "the mop".

I have to say looking at this hunk of meat I was really tempted to just do garlic and onion...like porketta that my grandmother used to make. But the point is Bbq so..maybe next time. 

13 hours ago, ndirish said:

I’m sure it’ll be great!  Pull apart with a couple of forks, or those bear paw things. Very fun!  

and, yes, there’s a ton of fat and stuff that cooks down out of the butt. 

Enjoy!!!!!

Good morning. 🙂 Oops I over slept. Not really. I woke up at 1:30 instead of my usual 3:30 and thought that was too early. It just went in.

I decided not to use beer in the bottom because why waste a beer? Lol. I'm kidding. When I unwrapped the plastic I decided the mesquite was smelling rather strong and thought adding the alcohol...which I know will cook out...might make the pork bitter somehow so I just added water. I thought about throwing in some bay leaves. My brain is bound and determined to turn bbq into something Italian or Russian. Thanks again!

Oh my...so I started basting with the vinegar brownsugar concoction. Grrr...my dark brown sugar was dried out, even though I had it double wrapped so I had to use the light brown. I think I'm going to lose some flavor from that. I was thinking I wished I had some straight up molasses.

I checked it 3 hrs ago and almost all of the water I added to the bottom of the pan was evaporated. But when I opened it to baste there was liquid half way up the pan. I left the tin foil off for now. Next time I go to baste I'll check the internal temp. In the reviews, one woman stated she let hers cook 4 hrs, turned off her oven to go to bed and it was done in the morning.

I'd never do that...eek my dad has me positively terrified of trichonosis so I always over cook pork. Yes I know we have better standards these days however I also think we have fewer conscientious employees.

Lol, who cares, 🙂Worse comes to worse I drown it in the Sweet Baby Rays. 

And the results are in... I took it out after 8 hrs and let it rest half an hour. Everything below the juice line pulled apart.. everything above.. I  chopped some of it because that's where the " bark" was and took probably a 2.5 lb hunk and threw it in the freezer for another day.

The directions said to skim off the fat from the juice. It all looked like fat to me so I poured some of it in the remaining vinegar brownsugar concoction. That saved the day.

Mesquite was not the flavor I was looking for. If you like St Louis style ribs, use that rub. I don't, so the juices saved the dish. 

I probably will not try this again. It's good but some things should be left to the experts.

• 1 month later...

Good morning. Much to my chagrin, I didn't get any kind of garden started this year. I don't know what corporate thinks it's doing with it's genetic modifications but...I purchased a cantaloupe last week. I let it sit on the counter a few days. It looked ripe when I bought it but it was hard as rock. I cut into it and it's lousy. Hard. dry, sweet but doesn't taste like a melon at all...and that's not just my flu interfering. IT'S JULY! IT'S MELON SEASON! 

I HAVE to grocery shop today. I'm not purchasing any produce. I'll try to get to the farmers market before I waste one more penny on crap that looks good but has no taste. 

On 5/21/2023 at 6:01 PM, ginger said:

And the results are in... I took it out after 8 hrs and let it rest half an hour. Everything below the juice line pulled apart.. everything above.. I  chopped some of it because that's where the " bark" was and took probably a 2.5 lb hunk and threw it in the freezer for another day.

The directions said to skim off the fat from the juice. It all looked like fat to me so I poured some of it in the remaining vinegar brownsugar concoction. That saved the day.

Mesquite was not the flavor I was looking for. If you like St Louis style ribs, use that rub. I don't, so the juices saved the dish. 

I probably will not try this again. It's good but some things should be left to the experts.

BTW...Last week, I took the leftovers from this pulled pork out of the freezer. It was better. iN FACT IT WAS WAY BETTER.