Dishonest greedy Joshua Shapiro for Family Court?

Rebecca DeMornay

• 2 weeks later...

Well isn’t this interesting. Now there is a Covid case where Dishonest & Greedy Shapiro works, so he scheduled his campaign announcement for today, while he “works” from home. Leave it to someone as dishonest and greedy to campaign from home, on the tax payers dollar, because of an alleged Covid case at his office. He is a man not to be trusted. 

A67BB2DE-3CE7-40F0-B7F7-2E13E7FF04D2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wayne Rooney said:

Let's be honest. Does anyone in Broome County really care about a Family Court Judge race? I mean, obviously, there are those in the know and then there is the 98% of the rest of the population that has no idea as to who they are voting for and vote party-line.

Case in point: Levine beating Cornwell.

Generally not, but it depends on the year.  When they fall during big years like last year, no one cares.  When they are during off years like 2021, they become a big deal.  And throw in the fact there's two open seats, and the top two vote getters win, it becomes a bigger deal.  The last time this happened was 2014, and the races were a big deal then.  

This year the Binghamton mayor's race will probably get interesting eventually.  County Clerk will probably be a snoozefest.  So the Family Court races in 2021 will be the biggest races of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

Shapiro claims he is counsel to all local courts in Broome and adjoining counties. And his wife is Chief Court Clerk in Binghamton City Court. 

There are two issues here.

1. How did the wife get the job? Some have claimed she had no prior court experience, that she worked for Broome County Personnel. That’s a pretty big leap, from a personnel assistant to Chief Court Clerk in a busy NY city court. I think it’s fair to make the accusation Shapiro improperly got his wife the job she wasn’t qualified for, at a salary she doesn’t deserve.

2. There is conflict in a husband serving as counsel to the court where his wife is the Chief Clerk. She answers to the State, not the judges. Essentially she answers to her husband. 

I’ve heard the other employees in Binghamton City Court are still unhappy over Mrs. Shapiro (she goes by the last name Katz) getting the job. She is in over her head, doesn’t understand the job, isn’t qualified, etc. Rather than promote from within, or hire someone qualified, Shapiro hired his wife. 

There’s more than enough here to justify a complaint to JCOPE. https://jcope.ny.gov/nepotism-0

37 minutes ago, Thurston Morton said:

2. There is conflict in a husband serving as counsel to the court where his wife is the Chief Clerk. She answers to the State, not the judges. Essentially she answers to her husband. 

https://jcope.ny.gov/nepotism-0

When you have a current broome county family court judge there is a conflict when his sister is currently running in this election for the same role. Oh and her husband is a TOU Judge. Start looking at all the candidates instead of just one is my opinion thurston

57 minutes ago, Bingking said:

When you have a current broome county family court judge there is a conflict when his sister is currently running in this election for the same role. Oh and her husband is a TOU Judge. Start looking at all the candidates instead of just one is my opinion thurston

There's a different between family members being elected by voters, and a husband hiring, or using his infulence, to hire his wife. And his daily interaction and infulence over City Court and the employees.  I agree with you that a brother/sister and her husband on the bench in Broome County is too many judicial positions for one family.  But that's up to voters.  My issue is with the actual nepotism conflict, occuring daily in Binghamton City Court, between Shapiro and his wife.  And how she got the job.  JCOPE can address this.  As far as Mark Young, Mara Grace and Chris Grace go, that's up to voters. 

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable on court policy and procedure but...is this the same thing as in one Law and Order episode...the court clerk has the power to steer certain cases to her husband? 

Th clerk was getting paid by the lawyers to steer the case to a certain divorce judge who was also getting a cut of the clerks payola...is that what the issue is in this case? The potentiality for that scenario?

• 3 months later...