National Guard Sworn In As U.S. Marshals

YankeeDoodle

On Sunday night, Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Lamont Ruffin from U. S. District of Columbia District Court swore in 2,000 National Guard troops as Special Deputy U.S. Marshals:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/usmarshals/sets/72157717930708541/

That Flickr site is the official site for the Office of Public Affairs of the U.S. Marshals Service.

The Wikipedia entry for the service says (in part — emphasis mine):

The United States Marshals Service (USMS) is a federal law enforcement agency in the United States. The USMS is a bureau within the U.S. Department of Justice, operating under the direction of the Attorney General,[3] but serves as the enforcement arm of the United States federal courts to ensure the effective operation of the judiciary and integrity of the Constitution.

The Marshals Service is primarily responsible for the protection of judges and other judicial personnel, the administration of fugitive operations, the management of criminal assets, the operation of the United States Federal Witness Protection Program and the Justice Prisoner and Alien Transportation System, the execution of federal arrest warrants, and the protection of senior government officials through the Office of Protective Operations.

One last thing ... some have questioned why over 25,000 troops are needed for security. One interesting theory is that the fencing is to keep some people IN (even though the razor wire is on the outside), and that a good number of these troops are going to be sweeping the massive tunnel complexes underground, driving any people and assets up and out.

Note that I said "interesting theory."

That's all we have as we sit and wait. (Remember the old saying that "the hardest part is the waiting.")

I think I may have posted this in another thread but, if not, here is an article on the D.C. tunnels:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/38593/evacuations-during-capitol-siege-shine-light-on-vast-underground-tunnel-network

As I posted a few days ago, there were 5,000 National Guard plus DC police at 2017 Inauguration. Much unrest, over 200 arrests. But it's interesting to look at it from different angles. There are many people of interest to retired Gen McInerney, as you posted, that will be within the fencing during the inauguration. And Trump will be elsewhere. So the suspense is mounting.