Covid report

ginger

I don't have time to read this right now, I have to get back to work. I'll play catch up later. Have a good afternoon.

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2021/attorney-general-james-releases-report-nursing-homes-response-covid-19

A friend of mine works at Good Shepherd Communities.  The DOH has visited Good Shepherd Communities many times - no deficiencies have been found at any of their three campuses.

• Lack of compliance with infection control protocols put residents at increased risk of harm - Yep
  • Nursing homes that entered the pandemic with low U.S. Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) Staffing ratings had higher COVID-19 fatality rates - Yep
  • Insufficient COVID-19 testing for residents and staff in the early stages of the pandemic put residents at increased risk of harm - Yep, but not limited to just early stages
  • The current state reimbursement model for nursing homes gives a financial incentive to owners of for-profit nursing homes to transfer funds to related parties (ultimately increasing their own profit) instead of investing in higher levels of staffing and PPE - OH HELL YEAH!!!!!
  • Lack of nursing home compliance with the executive order requiring communication with family members caused avoidable pain and distress - Yep
  • Government guidance requiring the admission of COVID-19 patients into nursing homes may have put residents at increased risk of harm in some facilities and may have obscured the data available to assess that risk - OH HELL YEAH!!!!!

*****I hope certain local for profit facilities and their greedy owners get nailed. Incredibly sad what has been going on. Absolutely heartbreaking. 

Good morning. I just finished reading. She had no new information for us. She also neglected to report that Governor Cuomo, Dr Zucker and the Department of Health willfully acted against the protestations of the New York Medical Directors Association who flat out told them that nursing homes were not equipped to deal with covid 19 patients and that people will die.

I see Senator O'Mara is the first to call for the resignation of Howard Zucker. I know I've said his before but it bears repeating...this guy set up an elaborate response system across the United States to deal with Ebola Virus. He needed to do that on a smaller scale in NYS for coronavirus. 

Coronavirus continues to plague our nursing homes and hospitals. Those facilities continue to exist as community vectors for the virus in it's current iteration and future variants.

I have a feeling we are going to see more death in spite of the vaccination but I will keep my suspicions to myself pending further data and evidence.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like things aren't going so well locally for staffing. I was "someplace" last night and I was told there was no in house rn, that in fact all of the rns quit except for the DON who was supposed to show but failed to. They're are lucky the LPN running the place is EXPERIENCED  but hey, feel free to keep taking advantage of your staff's kind nature...that'll wear thin pretty quickly. I think it's disgusting you think it's ok to put these women's credentials at risk. Furthermore, I was also informed they were short on direct care staff.

It's one thing to float your aides to another unit but floating them to another facility is outrageous. CONTINUITY OF CARE IS A THING YOU KNOW.

I've said this before...the sheriff's office needs to check in on it's most vulnerable citizens. If the facility isn't staffed you need to take some action...like arrest THE OWNERS as they did up in Cooperstown for endangerment and theft of services..something.

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/public-safety/2018/06/12/otsego-focus-rehabilitation-nursing-center-charges-neglect/694427002/