Binghamton Northside “Greater Good Grocery” already failing

guest11

I’ve said for years, that neighborhood on the Northside of Binghamton cannot support a grocery store. It is not economically feasible. If it could be profitable, the Akels or Price Chopper would have moved in years ago. Or even a discount grocer like Save A Lot would have moved in.  No one should be surprised by this. 

C4F1DB63-DD50-464B-85F9-15E3F1832D9E.jpeg

So according to the people involved with the "store", it is failing because people with transportation, who are not food insecure, are not shopping there?  Because for 20 years we have been told a grocery store is needed there for people who are food insecure without transportation

What a waste of everyone's time and all the taxpayer money.

I think the store is having an identity crisis, are they a charitable enterprise or are they a business? Their hours need to be adjusted if they’re trying to increase revenue. Closed on Sunday is not realistic for a grocery store trying to make money. Sunday seems to be the biggest grocery shopping day.  

That Saturday Facebook post from Melissa Lantz has been deleted and today The Greater Good Grocery posted this. All this really does is deny the suggestion food items are donated. My opinion has not changed. A grocery store in that neighborhood is not a good business decision. And I firmly believe that in the first month the store is failing and will continue to fail. 

E5D27C56-3AAB-4E2E-9D0F-E9AAAD124C15.jpeg

Mayor Richard David and Jared Kraham who is running for mayor both posted pictures on their Facebook pages of them shopping in the store. They both want this store to succeed. Kraham wants to list it as a success of his when he runs for mayor, and David wants to use it as a success when he runs for another office.

12 hours ago, PAO said:

Mayor Richard David and Jared Kraham who is running for mayor both posted pictures on their Facebook pages of them shopping in the store. They both want this store to succeed. Kraham wants to list it as a success of his when he runs for mayor, and David wants to use it as a success when he runs for another office.

Maybe because for the last 20+ years, any city Republican politician was attacked by Libs about the FOOD DESERT on the Northside, and how they claimed it was up to govt to rectify the situation, regardless of the hard economic facts.

Now that it's done, it's crickets from the Libs, and no one has the brains or balls to go after the ones who were screaming in the 1st place.

So I finally made my way over there...the store is clean, it certainly does not smell.

This isn't a store where you can do regular grocery shopping. It could be so much more than it is. It's my impression you are shopping there to make a donation. I bought 4 oranges, a head of cabbage, a bulb of garlic and perhaps half a pound of grapes for $5.21.

$8.00 for a frozen off brand pizza. You can do better at the Family Dollar store. They had frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.30/lb but you could tell they were butchered wrong and would be tough as all get out. I did not see any red meat...there were frozen fish portions.

There were a few name brand products in the sparse dairy case...I suppose if you really had to have a block of Cabot cheese. 

To be honest...I would not run down there for milk and bread before a snow storm. Pantry Bread and I forgot the brand of milk..Hudson maybe? They did have Crowley Chocolate milk.

On my way home, I had stopped in Moravia at their market...I decided I was making a lasagna today. I'm glad I stopped. I would not have been able to make it from what was in that store.

The store needs a professional to take it over...or at least somebody with some imagination. It could be something really special.

One more thing...$10.00 for the lg can of tomatoes...like half the price at Maines. In fact, a good idea would be to let Maines take it over or use that as a model for this store. 

They should let me take all of those cases of tomatoes and the Huge cans of tomato paste and the $4.00 bags of garlic and let me make sauce, freeze it by the quart and sell that.

I wonder what the expiration date is on those tomatoes...they don't keep forever you know. They should do that...make their own Greater Good Spaghetti sauce. Sell it by the quart...it'll keep in the freezer. I'm not sure if I saw any olive oil in that store. Maybe partner up with the culinary school.