Family Court circus gets crazier: 4th Democrat to enter the race

SU75

I'm hearing a 4th Democratic Party candidate is about to enter the race for Broome County Family Court Judge.  There are two seats up in the 2021 election, and there are already three Democrats and two Republicans in the race.  A 4th Democrat would make a record six total candidates, for two open seats.

Democrats: Mara Grace, Sam (Sandy) Monachino, Joshua Shapiro, and (rumored 4th candidate)

Republicans:  Veronica Gorman and Brett Noonan.

I don't know much about the guy rumored to be entering the race, but I have heard his name before.  I will try to confirm the information tonight and post it when my source is confident with the information. 

It’s confirmed. Tim Thayne will be running as well. He is a Democrat who works as an ADA at the District Attorney’s Office. He was once a partner in the firm Battisti Gartenman and Thayne before the firm split up.  His announcement is coming in the next week. 

Timmy is a good guy. He’s common sense, a problem solver. Those are important traits for Family Court. I think there’s a place for him in this race.

I was leaning toward Noonan and Grace, until I found out Grace has that anti-police kid from JC running her campaign. No way. Sorry Mara. You want to be involved with an anti-police pantywaist, it’s going to cost you lots of law enforcement votes.

Now I’ll go with Noonan and Thayne.

4 hours ago, Officer Al said:

Timmy is a good guy. He’s common sense, a problem solver. Those are important traits for Family Court. I think there’s a place for him in this race.

I was leaning toward Noonan and Grace, until I found out Grace has that anti-police kid from JC running her campaign. No way. Sorry Mara. You want to be involved with an anti-police pantywaist, it’s going to cost you lots of law enforcement votes.

Now I’ll go with Noonan and Thayne.

As I said I don't forget anything...one time I had some traffic infraction..I can't recall what it was but I remember the phone call. He says he has me "dead to rights". This was a long time ago... in the early 90's I think.. what did I know...I'd never even had a parking ticket. $246.00 fine. That was more than I made in a week..more than I made in a week on overtime... 10 hr days, 8 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. I'll never for vote him.

That sheriff's deputy up in Wayne County that left me stranded 3 hrs from home in the middle of the night when it was 13 degrees out with lake effect snow better not even think about running for anything.

2 hours ago, Maron said:

Those who care about Tim need to step in and stop this before it gets too far. He has a good thing going, and it could ruin his career. How will he fund his campaign? Weekly wet t-shirt contests at the Ratkskeller?

So, what I gather from your post is he may be a normal guy and not holier than thou like most of these candidates seem to be?

Sign me up for that. Normal in Family Court sounds wonderful after that miltant Levine just got elected.

4 hours ago, Wayne Rooney said:

So, what I gather from your post is he may be a normal guy and not holier than thou like most of these candidates seem to be?

Sign me up for that. Normal in Family Court sounds wonderful after that miltant Levine just got elected.

Apparently Thayne lost his house in foreclosure within the last 10 years and now lives with his mother. That’s “normal” for a man in his late 40’s? And normal for a candidate running for judge?

3 hours ago, Maron said:

Apparently Thayne lost his house in foreclosure within the last 10 years and now lives with his mother. That’s “normal” for a man in his late 40’s? And normal for a candidate running for judge?

Sounds familiar, like the time our current family court judge Mark young was living out of his father in laws Michael Fidlers home on Beethoven st. and Mark was able to take out a mortgage to fund his campaign. If his name sounds familiar his sister Mara Young Grace is running for the same position.

Thayne comes as a surprise candidate to many of us. I’ve been involved in Broome County Democratic politics since the 1980’s and never heard his name mentioned as a candidate until now. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though. This puts the District Attorney’s Office back under the microscope. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, so I’m sure all the criminal justice reformers out there will have a field day with this. 

This damn Family Court race gets more interesting every week. 

17 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Share his name. 

If he ever runs for anything you'll see his name written across the sky in black smoke when I go riding on my broomstick. :) 

On 2/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, Maron said:

Now that I’m thinking about it. I believe Thayne also filed for bankruptcy not that long ago.

Looks like Thayne bought ThayneforFamilyCourt.com but he hasn't even filed a campaign account with the state.  So he's spending money without any required reporting/authorization in place. That doesn't fly in an aggressive judicial race, with six candidates. Maybe a smalltime race for village trustee.  It does look like this campaign is being run out of a frat house.