NY Legalizes Marijuana

thomas

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see it now...people will plant it in their backyards, the police will let loose their drug sniffing dogs. Will that be cause to search property?

Couple questions.

Will the taxes be low enough to make it worthwhile shopping at a camera loaded location?

If so, will my regular weed dealer be able to collect unemployment while training for a new career
Will our law(?), regulation(?) be compatible with the old Alaska Legalization? (funny how dems got rid of that after a few decades)

Reminds me. Former VP candidate Sarah Palin admitted hetting high. LEGALLY. pres Harris admits getting high. Leegally, not so much. Sorry, off topic.

One last question. Where the hell is all the Panimanian Red and Acapulco Gold gone to?

I will be curious to see how employers handle this as well.  I was told Sam's Club, Walmart don't test for it and was also told by a UHS employee in HR that they ignore positive results.

My only issue with it is, this is a substance that can effect people near you. Just like cigarettes you can get 2nd hand smoke issues (over time) but with weed you can get contact buzz from being near it too long. I was at a few places last year when the outdoor dining was going on and people near the tables were smoking, and it was STRONG. People at other tables got up and left because they had young children with them and who wants that smell when you are trying to eat. 

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins and Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie overnight March 27 reached a deal on the legislation that would regulate and tax the legal sale of marijuana for other than for medicinal use...The final plan still needs approval by the full legislature.

Read More: Three Way Deal Reached on Legal Marijuana in New York | https://wnbf.com/new-york-governor-and-legislative-leaders-reach-pot-deal/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Cuomo said that “for generations, too many New Yorkers have been unfairly penalized for the use and sale of adult-use cannabis, arbitrarily arrested and jailed with harsh mandatory minimum sentences.”

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-york-marijuana-legalization-bill-moves-fast-with-three-committee-hearings-and-possible-floor-votes-tuesday/

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Wonder how long it’ll be before all the tax funds from this are headed towards reparations?

Wonder if they'll deduct all the prior freebies and see who owes who what.

Anyway...

•  
  •  
A bill to legalize marijuana in New York cleared committees in both the Senate and Assembly on Tuesday—with floor votes expected later in the day.
  •  
  • ared committees in both the Senate and Assembly on Tuesday—with floor votes expected later in the day.

the day.

•  
  • eare in both the Senate and Assembly on Tuesday—with floor votes expected later in the day.

OK, I'll play along. NYPD is working on ending Qualified Immunity for it's officers. That means that there will no longer be a legal 'shield' around them and you will be able to sue a police officer.

"Qualified immunity is the practice of not being able to file a civil lawsuit against a government official performing his or her official duties unless they "clearly established statutory or constitutional rights of which a reasonable person would have known.""

So my question is, when will Qualified Immunity be terminated for Cuomo, Andrea Stewart-Cousins and Carl Heastie so that all the families of people that get injured or killed by drivers under the influence of pot can sue them for promoting it? We already have a problem with alcohol DWI, let's make MJ more readily available...what can possibly go wrong?

26 minutes ago, Kaz said:

OK, I'll play along. NYPD is working on ending Qualified Immunity for it's officers. That means that there will no longer be a legal 'shield' around them and you will be able to sue a police officer.

"Qualified immunity is the practice of not being able to file a civil lawsuit against a government official performing his or her official duties unless they "clearly established statutory or constitutional rights of which a reasonable person would have known.""

So my question is, when will Qualified Immunity be terminated for Cuomo, Andrea Stewart-Cousins and Carl Heastie so that all the families of people that get injured or killed by drivers under the influence of pot can sue them for promoting it? We already have a problem with alcohol DWI, let's make MJ more readily available...what can possibly go wrong?

I agree with you Kaz.  Wait till you get  the responses:

1) It is no worse than alcohol.

2) There are many responsible people who smoke every day.

3) I have a friend who tokes and runs a very successful business.

4) Look at all the tax money we are going to be receiving.

5) We will be able to empty out the jails of many incarcerated people.

6) I have been smoking for more than 40 years and nothing bad has happened to me.

I doubt much will change from now other than more tax revenue, more business opportunity, more employment. And a lot less wasting time chasing people around. And the legal weed will be safe and not contaminated by some other dangerous drugs off the street.

Watch the live debate here 

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/New-York-Legislature-debates-marijuana-16064158.php

I feel badly for people who have to work with pot smokers. I no longer do, wow the ref in the Gonzaga game looks like he had a stroke....they'd need to hurry...eat, sleep,  always in a bad mood when when they aren't high.  

1 hour ago, thomas said:

I doubt much will change from now other than more tax revenue, more business opportunity, more employment. And a lot less wasting time chasing people around. And the legal weed will be safe and not contaminated by some other dangerous drugs off the street.

Watch the live debate here 

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/New-York-Legislature-debates-marijuana-16064158.php

#4 so soon,

More jobs?  Come on.   Not enough to change the unemployment rate.

12 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

#4 so soon,

More jobs?  Come on.   Not enough to change the unemployment rate.

Pete they've been stating all of those reasons for years. How is there going to be more jobs when you can just grow it in your own back yard? Give me some seeds I'll start them tomorrow with my tomatoes. Am I allowed to sell what I grow?

lol of course I don't think I know anyone who I would sell it to! :) How about trade? I could trade it for yard work or help cleaning out my cellar...car repairs? Will trade pot for really good Kielbasa and sauerkraut!

3 minutes ago, ginger said:

lol of course I don't think I know anyone who I would sell it to! :) How about trade? I could trade it for yard work or help cleaning out my cellar...car repairs? Will trade pot for really good Kielbasa and sauerkraut!

Oh it seems to me if you can grow 12 plants at a clip you should be able to have a bumper crop for fall no?

44 minutes ago, ginger said:

I feel badly for people who have to work with pot smokers. I no longer do, wow the ref in the Gonzaga game looks like he had a stroke....they'd need to hurry...eat, sleep,  always in a bad mood when when they aren't high.  

What do you mean the ref isn't going to the hospital? Am I the only one who saw him stumble right right right  then collapse? Drew Timme had 15 points. 6 foot ten!!! Sweet little reverse flip layup off the fingertips.

This will cause more people to smoke pot since now it will be legal.

Ginger: Doper Donna went around to business people and convinced someone I know to support the CBD legislation because he could use it in his product.  Once the legislation passed, he found out that they would have to jump through hoops to add it to his product.  He realized that Doper Donna Duped him.

30 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

This will cause more people to smoke pot since now it will be legal.

Ginger: Doper Donna went around to business people and convinced someone I know to support the CBD legislation because he could use it in his product.  Once the legislation passed, he found out that they would have to jump through hoops to add it to his product.  He realized that Doper Donna Duped him.

Honestly Pete..all these people vaping their CBD oil and whatever else they do with it...I've seen them do it right at work..vaping during a pandemic, brilliant. I'd rather own a pet rock. lol, remember when you could purchase pet rocks out the gumball machine at the Grandway for a quarter? I did love my mood ring though. Aunt Frances bought it for me at McLanes.