Marijuana

Sandy

They have legalized something that's already being done - many, many people smoke pot.  This will help unclog the legal system of non-violent crime.

The part that needs to be figured out is people driving stoned.  And will employers no longer drug test for marijuana?

Of course, the bottom line is that NYS can make money off it now. 

9 minutes ago, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

They have legalized something that's already being done - many, many people smoke pot.  This will help unclog the legal system of non-violent crime.

The part that needs to be figured out is people driving stoned.  And will employers no longer drug test for marijuana?

I am not trying to be snarky but I don't agree with all of your statements

Murder is also being done. Does that mean we should legalize it?  I don't think the legal system is clogged.  We are a free nation where people can do bad things. 

Driving stoned?  Not only that but what about working stoned?  Every time there is an industrial accident, people are tested for drugs.  How about doctors operating stoned?  how about LEOs or nurses stoned?  Dentists?   Food workers?  The list is endless.

NYS will make money for a little while but remember politicians are not business people but dealers are.  They will extend credit, undercut prices, deliver drugs to your doorstep.  Dealers will not go away. 

We are on a one way path to hell.

afaik  residual marijuana stays in your system for a period of time so that the tests they have now will test positive even for the most miniscule level. So what is the "impaired" level of marijuana? akaik they don't know and the tests do not report the mj level, just a positive. Therefore the tests are useless unless they specify level.

As usual, you either perform your job satisfactorily or you don't for whatever reason. Is harrassing people legal?

Folks, mj is now legal for adults in NY.

3 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

I am not trying to be snarky but I don't agree with all of your statements

Murder is also being done. Does that mean we should legalize it?  I don't think the legal system is clogged.  We are a free nation where people can do bad things. 

Driving stoned?  Not only that but what about working stoned?  Every time there is an industrial accident, people are tested for drugs.  How about doctors operating stoned?  how about LEOs or nurses stoned?  Dentists?   Food workers?  The list is endless.

NYS will make money for a little while but remember politicians are not business people but dealers are.  They will extend credit, undercut prices, deliver drugs to your doorstep.  Dealers will not go away. 

I said non-violent crimes.  Would you rather have a police officer wasting time pulling over someone for smoking a joint, or chasing leads on murder?

I agree with your work statements - I don't want to see people stoned in the workplace.  I think three ounces is a little far out of range for acceptable quantity.  Driving stoned:  you'd be surprised how many do it now...or drink and drive.  We only hear about the ones that got caught.

I don't agree with all the legislation, but I will say I'd rather see someone stoned than drunk.  Worse thing I've ever seen a stoned person person do is fall asleep with their head in a bag of Doritos.  I've seen too many drunk people get mean, angry, and abusive.  Not saying it can't happen to stoned people, but alcohol can be nasty...and it's legal.

8 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

..NYS will make money for a little while but remember politicians are not business people but dealers are.  They will extend credit, undercut prices, deliver drugs to your doorstep.  Dealers will not go away. 

If I am to believe what has been said over the last 40 years (or more) - that MJ is a gateway to harder drugs - the dealers have absolutely nothing to worry about. They will have a booming business soon.  As for your last sentence - we took that fork in the road a while back. Lately we are just adding bricks onto the accelerator.

My assumption is people that have already been buying / selling it illegally will continue to do so. Just because it's "legal" doesn't mean the dealers will go away, it just means they can get caught with it and not go to jail. Unless the products they start selling in the stores are a lot higher quality and the same costs people will still go to their dealer they've been using for years and avoid any of the NY State taxes. 

The biggest differences we will see is when they start opening pot bars and such for people to hang out at and smoke. They will be on every corner just like your standard bar is today

Businesses will still test for it and people will prolly get fired if pop positive. It is still illegal on the Federal level and that's what a lot of companies follow. So if you work in a warehouse and crash a forklift you will get tested, if it's in your system you will be held responsible, same as if you tested positive for alcohol. Those that smoke should understand it's in your system longer and that unfortunately is a risk you take. I'm sure there are many that smoke now and just hope nothing happens at work where they need to get tested ... again, no changes

On 4/1/2021 at 1:28 AM, thomas said:

Welcome first time poster.

Looong overdue. There will be laws governing use and sale. It's up to individuals to behave properly.

On 4/1/2021 at 7:50 AM, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

People driving stoned is gone to be a big problem that is what worries me.

10 hours ago, Sandy said:

People driving stoned is gone to be a big problem that is what worries me.

There could be one way to stop this.  If a cop pulls you over and there is an open bottle of alcohol, you can be charged.

Same rule should apply to pot.  A cop pulls you over and he can smell pot in the car, charge the person with a crime. 

• 3 weeks later...

Morning Brief...by And Serwer

The big news here is that the tide has turned for marijuana acceptance in this country. And it’s quite likely national marijuana laws will be reformed sometime this year...

Constellation Brands, the giant wine, beer and spirits company bought a stake in Canopy four years ago and now owns 38% of the company, (Canopy’s current CEO came from Constellation.)

My fave ballot factoid: “In the 2020 election, the legalization initiative in swing state Arizona got nearly 300,000 more votes than either Joe Biden or Donald Trump.”

https://newsletters.yahoo.net/H/2/v600000178dfa67de8c461ce6e96c66058/234e7403-ca16-4f61-9451-ce11511f8c46/HTML

NW5g5f2.jpg

59 minutes ago, thomas said:

Morning Brief...by And Serwer

The big news here is that the tide has turned for marijuana acceptance in this country. And it’s quite likely national marijuana laws will be reformed sometime this year...

My fave ballot factoid: “In the 2020 election, the legalization initiative in swing state Arizona got nearly 300,000 more votes than either Joe Biden or Donald Trump.”

https://newsletters.yahoo.net/H/2/v600000178dfa67de8c461ce6e96c66058/234e7403-ca16-4f61-9451-ce11511f8c46/HTML

As long as it is your family that gets in a head on crash with someone who is toked up.

Too funny, over the weekend I saw a guy out in East Jesus pulled over to the side of a lonely back road. I stop and ask him if he needs help. "Oh no, I'm just taking pictures." I THOUGHT TO MYSELF,  I BET YOU ARE.

He's taking photos of farm land. 

1.5 million New Yorkers are standing in line for food.

I suppose all of the people who missed out on fracking could score some coin renting their land.

3 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

As long as it is your family that gets in a head on crash with someone who is toked up.

That's mean spirited but I understand the concern. I just don't think there'll be any difference in driving than there is right now. Some will follow the law, some sadly will not.

The Question is: will people/patients be better off using pot for medicinal and/or recreational purposes? The doctors in this area aren't keen on giving out prescriptions for medicinal pot either. As for myself I might make a few brownies to see If pot takes the edge off. That's when I can get my hands on some in a legal fashion.. I am tired of making Big Pharma wealthy with the meds my doctor has me on.