KYNDRYL

thomas

IBM will spin off Kyndryl in Q4. Wouldn't be great if Kyndryl somehow found a purpose in Endicott? To help reverse the disaster of IBM manufacturing leaving. I hope Broome County extends congratulations and best wishes to the new CEO Martin Schroeter. And extend a business friendly invitation to locate here in the future.

"Kyndryl will be a spin-off of IBM IT infrastructure services - a business with an Intellectual Property portfolio of 3000+ patents and recognized as a leader by industry analysts."

tA2FySq.jpghttps://www.ibm.com/kyndryl

IBM hasn't learned its lesson.

IBM would obtain contracts to supply solutions (programs) to companies.  Instead of paying US people to write the programs, they would hire the work out to an Indian company to save on labor costs.  Once the Indians learned about the software while being paid by IBM, the programmers would form another company in India, bid on the work and take the project away from IBM.  This happened all the time.

Theft of technology seems to be rampant. Anyway, I have no idea what the status is of the former IBM manufacturing site in Endicott. Is it fully occupied or is a portion manufacturing ready for occupancy? The above ground offices on North Street are a sorry site after driving by there a few weeks ago. Appalling really how they've let that go. Just like the former IBM CC, used to be a jewel.

1 hour ago, thomas said:

Theft of technology seems to be rampant. Anyway, I have no idea what the status is of the former IBM manufacturing site in Endicott. Is it fully occupied or is a portion manufacturing ready for occupancy? The above ground offices on North Street are a sorry site after driving by there a few weeks ago. Appalling really how they've let that go. Just like the former IBM CC, used to be a jewel.

I don't know what's left there - most of it (east of McKinley, on North St.) looks vacant and has been that way for many years. It's pretty sad for people who grew up here during IBM's hayday.  The building directly across from the Watson office (not sure if that used to house Security or Personnel) is just falling apart. I really wish they would level those just to eliminate  the eyesore. Of course there is no hurry because, IIRC, the Maines/Matthews clan got an 80% reduction in assessment years ago so they may be paying less per sq. ft. for an industrial complex than most people pay on their residence.

3 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

IBM would obtain contracts to supply solutions (programs) to companies.  Instead of paying US people to write the programs, they would hire the work out to an Indian company to save on labor costs.  Once the Indians learned about the software while being paid by IBM, the programmers would form another company in India, bid on the work and take the project away from IBM.  This happened all the time.

Yup, the off shore people got on-the-job paid training to eventually take those jobs away. In the usual warped short sighted fashion, I'm sure the responsible IBM execs and CEO got big bonuses for that. The US based workers got....the shaft.

6 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

IBM also played another game that "endeared" them to their customers.

They would pull people (i.e., workforce reductions) off a project. Less labor meant more profits for them.

The problem is, or course, that without enough manpower, agreed upon work was not getting done. Systems were not supported sufficiently. Problems were not being resolved in a timely manner.

To try to ensure that that didn't happen, customers would put SLAs — Service Level Agreements — in place. Don't meet the SLAs, and IBM would have to pay a penalty.

But, leave it to the bean counters to quickly spot that those penalties were much less than the profits they'd make with a smaller payroll.

So complain and penalize all you wanted, customers — IBM didn't care.

Making this quarter's revenue and profit goals was much more important than the long-term damage to its reputation.

Because in this Internet age, customers wouldn't share their experiences and horror stories with others — right?

6 hours ago, thomas said:

IBM will spin off Kyndryl in Q4.

Kyndryl?

What kind of stupid name is that?

It looks and sounds like an Indian company.

I liked it better when IBM referred to this new entity by its temporary name "Newco."

They aren't even smart enough to put a pronunciation on their home page.

What is it? KIN-drol?

I looked on YouTube for a hint, and all of the videos are by foreigners!