Binghamton Devils leaving town

bballcoach

Binghamton has a population of 44,000. Utica has 60K and Rome 33K.

Broome County is 190K, and Oneida 234K.

Utica is off the New York Thruway. And not far from Turning Stone resort and convention center.

With overlapping media coverage, the new team will probably be talked about in the Syracuse and Albany markets.

How well does Binghamton promote itself?

I was a kid and remember the several big deals done in 1967 for its centennial.

Binghamton was 150 years old in 2017. I didn't hear about anything special going on.

It's called promotion and marketing. That's how you draw new business and, most importantly, keep what you already have.

Back in April 2017 I stopped in to that visitors' center rest stop on I-81 north of Cortland. There were Chamber of Commerce promotional books for just about every county in New York.

Well, every county EXCEPT Broome.

I asked one of the staff members why Broome was not represented. I was told that it was up to the counties to have their materials on display, and Broome chose not to participate.

Perhaps therein lies the answer to why one more entity is leaving Binghamton and Broome County?

Even with the influx of younger people, maybe our old way of thinking is still ingrained in the population. You know, "we have IBM and its thousands of high paid workers. Why hustle when inertia keep things rolling along merrily as can be?"

Some habits are hard to break. And are built into their DNA.

Just like Bob Joseph keeps praising The Depressed & Some-B*****it as a great example of journalism that we all should be proud to have in our community.

There's wearing rose colored glasses.

Then there's not seeing things because you have your head up your ***.

But hey, we painted BLM downtown, right?

17 minutes ago, YankeeDoodle said:

Binghamton has a population of 44,000. Utica has 60K and Rome 33K.

Broome County is 190K, and Oneida 234K.

Utica is off the New York Thruway. And not far from Turning Stone resort and convention center.

With overlapping media coverage, the new team will probably be talked about in the Syracuse and Albany markets.

How well does Binghamton promote itself?

I was a kid and remember the several big deals done in 1967 for its centennial.

Binghamton was 150 years old in 2017. I didn't hear about anything special going on.

It's called promotion and marketing. That's how you draw new business and, most importantly, keep what you already have.

Back in April 2017 I stopped in to that visitors' center rest stop on I-81 north of Cortland. There were Chamber of Commerce promotional books for just about every county in New York.

Well, every county EXCEPT Broome.

I asked one of the staff members why Broome was not represented. I was told that it was up to the counties to have their materials on display, and Broome chose not to participate.

Perhaps therein lies the answer to why one more entity is leaving Binghamton and Broome County?

Even with the influx of younger people, maybe our old way of thinking is still ingrained in the population. You know, "we have IBM and its thousands of high paid workers. Why hustle when inertia keep things rolling along merrily as can be?"

Some habits are hard to break. And are built into their DNA.

Just like Bob Joseph keeps praising The Depressed & Some-B*****it as a great example of journalism that we all should be proud to have in our community.

There's wearing rose colored glasses.

Then there's not seeing things because you have your head up your ***.

But hey, we painted BLM downtown, right?

Great post!

Utica's Arena is also much older than ours and went through a beautiful renovation. Not the half assed one like here that basically swapped out seats. The Comets are killing it up there too. 

I will say this, the Devils have been a trash affiliate no matter where they go so I can't fully lie the blame on Binghamton this time...from their first go around in Utica to Lowell to Albany and now Binghamton. 

If it were not for John Hughes (and yes some taxpayer $$) and new Mets owner Steve Cohen, it's very likely we would not have the AA Mets affiliate here too. A radical change in the minor leagues eliminated several teams but the 25 plus year relationship here, proximity to Citi Field and AAA Syracuse made it a no brainer to keep Binghamton as the AA affiliate. 

7 hours ago, YankeeDoodle said:

....How well does Binghamton promote itself?...

Something I have always found odd - Why does the Broome County Chamber of Commerce spend money to run ads HERE promoting the area? They have a select few local business owners/execs telling the locals how lucky they are to live here vs. running the ads in other markets to try to get people to move here. Actually, the latter really would be a waste of money since we just bus them in, we need ads locally to convince the locals to stay and fund the gravy train.

38 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Something I have always found odd - Why does the Broome County Chamber of Commerce spend money to run ads HERE promoting the area? They have a select few local business owners/execs telling the locals how lucky they are to live here vs. running the ads in other markets to try to get people to move here. Actually, the latter really would be a waste of money since we just bus them in, we need ads locally to convince the locals to stay and fund the gray train.

Bingo.

I was told this is done because the businesses and companies that are here do NOT want new businesses to move in.  New businesses would drive up wages which would mean higher costs for the businesses that are already here.

What has the IDA/The Agency done to promote this area?  What businesses have they brought in?

I don't know what they do. But Canopy Growth in Kirkwood is new and will hire 150+ at some point. There's Dick's Warehouse and Amazon will start in Corporate Park. SUNY B has started their major baseball project which we hope will also benefit out AA team. Their new Pharmacy School in JC is progressing. New apartment bldng on Front St. No idea what plans are for Ramada.The Arena is slated for a major upgrade but I don't know the current time table. Animal Adventure is a credit to our area and puts us on the map. Screwing up the Endicott IBM site and IBM Country Club does not help.

Hint, Hint:

Do you know any small businesses that are a member of the Chamber of Commerce?

If so, ask them what they get for their $400 (minimum) or more they pay every year.

Don't be surprised if they have a hard time answering, or have a blank look on their faces.

But hey - they get a certificate they can hang in their offices or stores, to show the world how committed they are to the area.

Go back a few years before Covid.

Any productive networking events?

How about those "Eggs & Issues" breakfast meetings? How that hemp industry was going to benefit the region?

How about those annual awards? Look who they select as the winners. (Wow — a company that makes websites! They even put the owner on the board.)

Their monthly newsletter/newspaper is free for the viewing on their site.

Love the "around the area" pictures. Too bad there are no captions, so no idea who these people are.

And how about the people chosen for that annual leadership class. The future leaders of Binghamton?

Well, if all else fails, there is still room to have at least two curling lanes in the Arena.

Wouldn't that be cool, and make Binghamton an internationally-known town competing with the Canadian leagues, and hearing the screams of "HARD!" reverberating in the rafters?

(Said no one, ever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJbK5a7mEPs

• 2 weeks later...

Well now what? Any guesses for a major Arena tenant for '21-'22 ? Looking like the AHL is gone for good.

"Broome County executive Jason Garnar earlier Thursday had said the chances of an American Hockey League team playing in Binghamton this fall were "almost zero."

Read More: It's Official: AHL Approves Binghamton Devils Franchise Relocatio | https://wnbf.com/its-official-ahl-approves-binghamton-devils-franchise-relocation/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral