Dispute over Airport Road fence, based on Debbie Preston’s verbal permission

Cockeyed Optimist

Here’s an interesting story. It should be noted, the Daisy Drive resident went ahead and did what he did, to his property and the county property, after meeting with Debbie Preston, and she told him “you can do whatever the hell you want.” 

Should a Broome County resident be able to trust the word of the county executive? 

Should we always get permission in writing?

Did Debbie have the authority to grant this permission? Shouldn’t it come from the county attorney or county legislature?

Is saying “do whatever the hell you want” really responsible? Where does the permission end? It sounds like she verbally gave this man permission to literally do whatever he wanted with no limits.

https://www.binghamtonhomepage.com/news/dispute-over-fence-along-airport-road/

Debbie Preston was reckless. She should not have been in a position of authority. I have no doubts that man did what he thought he needed to do:  visit the county during Debbie’s weekly open house and get permission. The problem is Debbie did not follow the law, even in her personal life. So now you have this man who put time and money into a project he thought was approved. I blame this completely on Debbie Preston. Clearing and installing a fence on county land isn’t a handshake deal, like buying fire wood, but that’s how Debbie did business.

So this average Joe gets raked through the coals, because he thought he was in compliance. But then you have the Kashou family who can literally do “whatever the hell they want” on their sports dome property, just down the road from there, because of who they are?

The former dome and sports complex on Airport Road wasn’t even in compliance. That land is zoned agricultural. But because they are the Kashou’s, they get what they want.

Now they Kashou’s are expanding, and no one is going to stop them. But an average resident of Broome County had to take down his fence?

In Broome County it’s not about what you do, it’s about who you are. 

so in 2019 the county tells him to leave everything in place and do not add any more. He proceeds to add 150 feet of fence. Now he is complaining he is being picked on. And he goes to the media to garner some sympathy...

look how much buffer he cut down.... If I was a neighbor I would be pissed too...

airport rd.jpg

daisy dr.jpg