Broome County Airshow for the rich

guest11

The tickets will be sold at three prices. There will be First Class VIP Admission tickets for $250 per vehicle, Business Class tickets for $115 per vehicle and Economy Coach tickets for $65.

This year the airshow is sure to lose money. I can’t wait for Mr. Solak to FOIL the financial documents, so we can see how much this will end up costing the tax payers, to foot the bill for an airshow many cannot afford to go to. 

30 minutes ago, guest11 said:

The tickets will be sold at three prices. There will be First Class VIP Admission tickets for $250 per vehicle, Business Class tickets for $115 per vehicle and Economy Coach tickets for $65.

This year the airshow is sure to lose money. I can’t wait for Mr. Solak to FOIL the financial documents, so we can see how much this will end up costing the tax payers, to foot the bill for an airshow many cannot afford to go to. 

You don't have to wait for John Solak to FOIL any documents. Anyone can do it. John is no spring chicken and not getting any younger. He has taught us the power of FOIL and the power of simply asking questions. People need to pick up the ball and run with it or lose any power we have forever.

2 hours ago, ThelmaHarper said:

You don't have to wait for John Solak to FOIL any documents. Anyone can do it. John is no spring chicken and not getting any younger. He has taught us the power of FOIL and the power of simply asking questions. People need to pick up the ball and run with it or lose any power we have forever.

Thelma - Be sure to post the foiled documents here.  Thanks.

DF84-F378-8791-4-C1-F-90-AE-BBD3-B004-AF

The Air Show will feature the Boeing F/A 18F Super Hornet. This is the one Tom Cruise flies in Top Gun, Maverick (coming out Nov ‘22) . That alone is worth the price of admission. 

According to the movie's trailer, Maverick will now be (co-)piloting a Boeing F/A 18F Super Hornet

The next thing you know, they'll be increasing the property tax bills of anyone living within a 1/2-mile of the airport.

Why?

Because, after all, why should they be allowed to go out in their back yards and see the show for free?

NOTE:  The above is an obvious, sarcastic joke.  But given how today's liberals think — and they're everywhere these days — I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts seriously proposing that.

Using the word they seem to use to justify all of their intrusive actions.

It's only FAIR.

65 dollars isn't exorbitant for a carload.  If you're taking a car you're taking at least four people, and you know there's going to be plenty of people packing their Suburbans and minivans with 10+.  I went to an airshow in Rochester a few years ago, and from what I remember. prices were around 15-20 dollars per person.

On the other hand, what they did to the Dick's Open is an outright travesty.  

• 1 month later...

With the price to bring in an act like the Thunderbirds, and all the county resources, staffing costs, and overtime costs, then factor in the limited number of spectators that can attend, because this is a drive-in event, this air show is destined to break even at best.  I have to think the show will lose money for an airport that has been struggling for decades. 

This airshow is a horrible idea. 

I live up by the airport. This is the first air show I’ve ever seen them close so many roads - roads that have nothing to do with going to the airport. They are trying to stop people from pulling off on a country road to watch airplanes. The people that decided that are despicable. 

I do know when aircraft like an F-18 fly at the airport, they need to create a flight box of the surrounding neighborhood, who must leave their homes during the show, per Air Force safety rules.  I believe the county actually pays these homeowners off, and the hold-offs end up getting more money at the end.  If they don't agree to vacate their homes, the F-18's cannot fly.

But I don't believe there is anything from the Air Force saying certain roads must be closed.  That is all county greed.  They don't want spectators on the sides of the road, they want to force you to pay to come to the air show.

8 hours ago, DJC said:

So far it’s a total disaster. 2 hour line to get in. Kids stuck in cars with no access to bathrooms waiting on Airport Road. Horrible planning. People are turning around and leaving.

Yes the wait was 2 hours or longer at certain points. I’m an aviation enthusiast, I got there at 10:00am, but I had friends wait over 2 hours. Whoever was in charge of traffic control on Airport Road did a terrible job.

I went to a drive-in air show 2 months ago outside Pittsburgh, featuring the Blue Angels (the other big name/jet team), they are an equally big draw as the Thunderbirds. That show was organized much better. No stories of long waits. 

I’ve been to over 50 air shows. This was a decent show once you got in, but not nearly as good as 2004 (also the Thunderbirds) or 2009 (Blue Angels) in Broome County. 

But the traffic issues were unacceptable. Many cars turned around the left. And apparently people were relieving themselves right on the road, because they were stuck in cars for hours without bathrooms. 

49 minutes ago, Skyhawk said:

.. And apparently people were relieving themselves right on the road, because they were stuck in cars for hours without bathrooms. 

39 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

Wait until the Press reports on it.   "Fabulous Show".  "Great Turnout"  and WBNG will interview a couple of people who will sing the praises of the show. 

Well, they don't call it urnalism for nothing.