Flash Flood Watch - Warning Again

thomas

accuweather

* At 941 PM EDT, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges indicated that the heaviest rain from the showers and thunderstorms was finally beginning to taper off in the greater Binghamton area. Between 1.5 and 3 inches of rain have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts up to 1 inch are possible in the warned area. Significant flash flooding has been reported with numerous vehicles trapped in water. Several residences were flooded as well as many basements seeing significant flooding. Many roads were also flooded. This is a dangerous situation. Do not venture out unless it is an emergency.

2 hours ago, Nina & Arch Duncan said:

This isn’t good. The grounds are over saturated. The retention ponds are full and can’t take on any more water. We are supposed to get more rain today and this week. There will be worse flooding to come.

This is exactly what has happened in 06 and 11 when we had our last 500-year floods.

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a * Flood Advisory for

... Broome County in central New York* Until 930 PM EDT. 7/17/21.

* At 706 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to thunderstorms. Minor flooding is ongoing or expected to begin shortly in the advisory area. * Some locations that will experience flooding include... Binghamton, Johnson City, Oneonta, Norwich, Deposit, Kirkwood, Conklin, Sidney, Guilford, Sanford, Susquehanna, Coventry, Susquehanna Depot, Greene, Oxford, Bainbridge, Hallstead, Unadilla, Otego and Windsor. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Turn around, don't drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles.

KkIQ3vx.jpg

Flash Flood Warning

Start

Tuesday, July 20, 9:28 PM EDT

End

Wednesday, July 21, 12:30 AM EDT

Source: U.S. National Weather Service

* Flash Flood Warning for... Broome County in central New York... Southwestern Chenango County in central New York... * * At 928 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:17 AM, FormerSomeone said:

God selected one family on Tunnel Road in the last rainstorm and a small stream got plugged, diverted the culvert, and wiped them out completely.  Total loss and no flood insurance.  

Water does odd things but will not be denied.

Interesting you think this. Do you have a theory about why Broome County went from being a 500 yr flood plain risk to every 5 years starting in 2006? Anything significant happen to you in 2006? 

Just asking, I have my own theories about "man made climate change". And yes, 2006 was significant for me.

Rock on gold dust woman....

2006 I believe was the year I stood on Powers Road with a group of coworkers just south of the railroad embankment and wondered if our plant would be underwater like most of Conklin.  That after trying five different routes to get there and finding roads missing and bridges closed.  

Also a BIG snow storm that winter.

Scientists prefer saying "climate change" to Global Warming, because not all regions will get hotter.  But the overall world warming WILL cause more energy in the atmosphere.  And that means more extreme, possibly more frequent storms.  We've done it to ourselves and may have gone past the tipping point were even if we shut everything down the nest 25 or 30 years may get stedily worse.

But, hey, we made a lot of good years for the stockholders and product manufacturers.

Then again, our church sent volunteers down to Hazelton in 1972 to help prople clear their homes of feet of mud.  Some areas are just poor bets for building a house.  Like where 80% of all people live (beside water, that is).  Going to get worse because were producing LOTS more people and no more land.  But then, it was 1968 that people laughed off "Zero Population Growth" and the warnings of what was to come.  Just how people are.  Short-sighted.  "What can I have now" without concerns of what will it cost me later.  I'm just as guilty.  My wants far exceed my needs.

Good morning. Something wicked your way comes...maybe. I was just catching the weather on horrible Comcast tv. It looks like there is a trough of tornado like winds headed your way. When I saw it, I recalled the last time I was on vacation Howard Manges sent my mother to the cellar. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone...beauty of a moon last night. :)