2023 race for District Attorney  

92 members have voted

1. 1. 2023 race for District Attorney

• Michael Korchak
    • Paul Battisti

3 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Let's not go crazy here.

Anyone who dealt with Battisti at length can tell you that his office messages went unanswered, that he left his voicemail full to avoid debt collectors and clients, and that he'd sometimes even pretend not to be in his office when angry clients could hear him on the phone from the lobby. This was a matter of routine, to the point that his secretary would scoff and tell people "you know how Paul is" when he'd skip an appointment. His associates sometimes had to take his meetings without warning or preparation because he'd scheduled clients on days he wouldn't be there. One even filed a jailhouse lawsuit in federal court believing Battisti had avoided him and sabotaged his case out of malice for an unpaid legal bill, but he's just like that. Some claimed that he still owed them substantial unspent retainers, and his own former private investigator liked a remark on Facebook about him screwing people over, which leads me to suspect Paul shafted him, too.

The fear was Battisti would bring his style of private practice to the District Attorney's office. Instead, it appears that Korchak brought Battisti's style of private practice to the District Attorney's office. That doesn't mean anyone should want Battisti in the District Attorney's office.

The fix is likely in, but there's still time for the local GOP to do better. Whoever the nominee is will likely be the winner. Paul needs and deserves a credible primary fight.

I think this is pretty accurate. I’ve been involved in Democrat politics for 40 years, and I voted for Korchak in 2019. My vote had nothing to do with Debra Gelson polling behind, I could see right through her deer in headlights reactions. And after a conversation with her I could tell she didn’t know much about criminal law.

We we’re all warned about Battisti. But as Bingoloid points out, those concerns about Battisti have come to be true common practice for Korchak. 

Based on the sense I get from talking to people, I do think Korchak runs as a Democrat, and Battisti is the only Republican, and Battisti wins 60% to 40%.

That would be an absolute routing. Korchak won the last election by 50 votes, and Cornwell won in 2015: 52%/48%.  Both elections were pretty close. But I don’t see that at all in 2023. Korchak has done such a horrible job, this will be the first DA landslide in decades.

3 hours ago, SU75 said:

I think this is pretty accurate.

Let's not forget that time Battisti - allegedly a trained attorney capable of understanding a statute - wildly misrepresented election laws to his supporters to get them to file bogus federal complaints under penalty of perjury against his opponent, in an apparent attempt to bully him out of communicating with voters.

...or that leaked memorandum from Cornwell's office about Battisti being placed on training wheels and having to communicate with the office in writing after they got sick of dealing with clients who reportedly felt that he'd misled them about plea negotiations.

This is not unlike recent malpractice litigation you can find on the clerk's website, yet another prisoner who has a characteristic story about a Battisti faceplant which left the plaintiff surprised to learn that his agreement to plead out was going to leave him in prison for years longer than he'd been told.

• 2 months later...