Alcoholism on the West side of Binghamton

Staten Island Jerry

I have lived all over. There is alcoholism and addiction all over the world, but I’ve never seen such alcoholism as exists on the West side of Binghamton. And the alcoholics take such pride in feeding their addictions. I don’t get it. Other than fraternity houses, I’ve never seen alcoholism celebrated to this extent. Alcoholism is a religion on the West side of Binghamton, practiced by thousands, in their homes, and at places like AOH, The Beef, Belmar, Abels, and St Patrick’s church. 

I would have to agree with this.  And add Irish Kevins and Union Hotel to that list, sometimes they venture from the West side proper.  Every night you can hear what sounds like a college party, from a West side backyard, but it's actually a group of 60 - 70 year olds.  They also take over every event on the West side, Christmas rides on the carousel and Porch Festival, they're falling down drunk. 

1 hour ago, Staten Island Jerry said:

AOH, The Beef, Belmar, Abels, and St Patrick’s church. 

I was in one of these establishments after a golf tournament.  It was pretty early, maybe 6:00PM, and some lady was so drunk she collapsed in the middle of the floor, unable to move.  Then a group of three of her friends (also highly intoxicated) went to pick her up, and they all fell down also, and could no longer move.  Now there's four 50 year old women laying passed out right in the middle of the bar. I hadn't seen anything like that since college.  

I have a colleague up in Albany whose daughter is coming to BU tomorrow. He asked me about the social scene, and crime. I told him to tell his daughter she can go downtown with friends but to stay off the westside. Sad these kids will never have what we had.

16 hours ago, Staten Island Jerry said:

I have lived all over. There is alcoholism and addiction all over the world, but I’ve never seen such alcoholism as exists on the West side of Binghamton. And the alcoholics take such pride in feeding their addictions. I don’t get it. Other than fraternity houses, I’ve never seen alcoholism celebrated to this extent. Alcoholism is a religion on the West side of Binghamton, practiced by thousands, in their homes, and at places like AOH, The Beef, Belmar, Abels, and St Patrick’s church. 

Accurate observation of a generational problem with deeper, more disturbing details. Solak has covered it over the years. It has severely damaged the city’s cleanliness, safety and reputation. One last clear chance for all that to change arose. Regrettably that chance passed, and even more regrettably, the damage appears irreparable.

17 hours ago, Sooners said:

I was in one of these establishments after a golf tournament.  It was pretty early, maybe 6:00PM, and some lady was so drunk she collapsed in the middle of the floor, unable to move.  Then a group of three of her friends (also highly intoxicated) went to pick her up, and they all fell down also, and could no longer move.  Now there's four 50 year old women laying passed out right in the middle of the bar. I hadn't seen anything like that since college.  

Maybe their drinks were spiked or it’s normal?

A few years ago I had an "interview" for a consulting opportunity with an entrepreneur in Syracuse.

He asked me what people do for entertainment and outside activities in the Binghamton area.

I told him there were three things they do:

"Drink, drink and drink."

He looked at me disgusted. I guess, not living here, he didn't realize how bad things could be.

So much for honesty. He should have realized there was a reason I was looking for opportunities with people outside of Broome County.

It's a lot like Animal House here.

But without the charming and lovable characters.

BTW, isn't the West Side the home or origin of most of the "Catholic Central Mafia?"

On 8/20/2021 at 5:50 PM, Rod Beck said:

I would have to agree with this.  And add Irish Kevins and Union Hotel to that list, sometimes they venture from the West side proper.  Every night you can hear what sounds like a college party, from a West side backyard, but it's actually a group of 60 - 70 year olds.  They also take over every event on the West side, Christmas rides on the carousel and Porch Festival, they're falling down drunk. 

Binghamton High school annual prom pictures at Rec Park is a big attraction for drunk west siders. I’ve witnessed it a couple times. Many drunk west siders, who don’t even have relatives or friends who have children at the prom, eventually wander over highly intoxicated. It’s really unfortunate, and doesn’t send a good message to the children. I’ve even seen them try to get in pictures, and hug random people they don’t know.

Honestly, the lack of winter recreation around here is probably a factor in older people spending all their time tucked into bars. In the summer, there's basketball courts, tennis courts, a pool, great places to walk on the West Side, I think a gym has opened up again on Riverside Drive (although it might be CrossFit), but the people who need to be using them have put on twenty pounds in beer by the time the snow melts and that's all they're motivated to do at that point.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:14 PM, YankeeDoodle said:

A few years ago I had an "interview" for a consulting opportunity with an entrepreneur in Syracuse.

He asked me what people do for entertainment and outside activities in the Binghamton area.

I told him there were three things they do:

"Drink, drink and drink."

He looked at me disgusted. I guess, not living here, he didn't realize how bad things could be.

So much for honesty. He should have realized there was a reason I was looking for opportunities with people outside of Broome County.

It's a lot like Animal House here.

But without the charming and lovable characters.

BTW, isn't the West Side the home or origin of most of the "Catholic Central Mafia?"

Catholic Central Mafia is alive and well. I keep getting post cards from the alumni organization wanting me to tell them of my experience while in high school. I told them to go furk themselves and kiss my arse. I have nothing good to say about it.

18 hours ago, thomas said:

Are those dialysus machines in the hospitals mostly serving those that have abused themselves by alcohol and drugs? 

Not entirely - some are organ failure due to diabetes, kidney disease, other medical conditions.   Look for any yellowish tinge in the skin or in the whites of the eyes of heavy drinkers.  Kidney failure in the making.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:49 PM, guest11 said:

The Porch Fest is this weekend.  There will be west side residents passed out in lawns by 2:00pm.  Unfortunately, the event, which is a cool concept, is not an event for children.  I hope John Solak is out covering the event.

The porch festival is a great idea. But I don’t think it works on the west side. Thousands of people will head over to the west side to enjoy the music, but you will have hundreds of west siders who are so drunk they ruin it for everyone. I just hope there are no serious injuries or worse. 

My wife and I live on the west side. Our experience has been the porch fest is much worse than Parade Day, when we have seen people passed out on front lawns. Tomorrow morning we are moving our car three streets away, so we can get out and get to a store if needed. Porch fest is a horrible day to be trapped inside because we don’t want to be accosted by drunks. 

• 2 weeks later...