Famous people from Binghamton area

thomas

They listed a number of Harpur / SUNY / BU graduates, but left off Camille Paglia.

Paglia was born in Endicott, spent her childhood in Oxford and Syracuse, then graduated from Harpur as class valedictorian in 1968.

Her columns used to be featured often on Drudge, back when the site was balanced and before it became a raging CNN clone. I found her material refreshing, exposing me to a liberal & feminist slant on things that was calm, measured and logical.

1 hour ago, 27 Time World Champions said:

A few athletes were left off:

Rob Gardner

Bobby Gonzalez

Wild Bill Hallahan

Johnny Logan

Ron Luciano

Jack Sharkey

Hidy Ochiai

Other Notables:

Slam Stewart

Gary Wilson

Section IV Mike 

Rob Gardner the homosexual who was married to several women before his wife came home and found him in bed with a man?

Singers Jake Gardner, Jenni Bank

Maynard Ferguson "Rocky" trumpeter; I seem to recall he had some sort of ties to Endicott in addition to playing at The Lodge but can't recall what they were.

NY Yankees Steve Kraly, Mickey Scott

Gus Lampo, Richie Karl, Tom Kost

7 hours ago, 27 Time World Champions said:

Here’s one not a lot of people know about and I just read this recently. 

Ogarita Booth Henderson, daughter of Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth, buried in Binghamton’s Glenwood Cemetery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogarita_Booth_Henderson

67243978-E811-4641-836-B-C30-E35-A8-A307

I believe she is only buried here because she was in town doing a play or something like that?  Back then it wasn't affordable to transport bodies I believe is what I heard. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Met said:

I believe she is only buried here because she was in town doing a play or something like that?  Back then it wasn't affordable to transport bodies I believe is what I heard. 

That makes sense and I believe that’s the case. Still pretty cool. I had no idea. I’m guessing most people in this area didn’t either. 

Don't forget the people who passed through the radio and television studios in the area.

One was singer John Gary, who had a summer replacement show on CBS in the mid-'60s (I remember a big deal was made of it locally at the time):
https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/connections/history/2016/10/13/binghamton-balladeer-who-made-big/92000096/

Another was John Bartholomew Tucker. I vaguely recall seeing his Notebook show on Ch 12 as a kid:

Here's a thread of people recalling other famous local broadcasters and reporters:
https://www.radiodiscussions.com/threads/most-successful-binghamton-alums.609055/

Another voice a lot of people used to hear every day was Johnny Donovan, who was the announcer and did the voice-overs for Rush Limbaugh.