SHOPPING

ginger

As most of you know, I love to shop. Tiny out of the way second hand stores...any local fare where ever I am, farmers markets, farm stands...just leave the money in the can..I always leave more. Clothes shopping, grocery shopping...car shopping, house in Tampa shopping for maybe, just in case...BARGAIN SHOPPING, MY FAVORITE. I love going to Valvoline and getting my oil and transmission fluid changed, and yes I'll take the gas tank additive for $20 bucks because I get an extra 4 miles per gallon which saves me on fuel. 

But I'm done. If I can't get in your store without walking the length of a football field I'm not shopping your store any more. This means Wegmans, Walmart and Price Chopper. I'm at the store at the crack of dawn, sometimes the first person in the store. My back is shot, I've worked all night. I don't qualify for a handicapped sticker...by the time I get in the store I don't WANT to shop. I want to get what I need instead of what I want and all of the fun is taken out of it. If I just wanted to purchase what I need I can shop at smaller grocers all over NY state in small towns like Moravia and not have to walk so far.

Last week I wanted to go to Wegmans because my daughter sent me a gift card for Easter that I was saving for when I came home from vacation. I was there around 8am and couldn't get a parking spot because they're doing construction. I went to the farthest end of the lot, thought I found a spot, turned in and there was a sign "15 minute parking for bottle return only" So done with this.

As for Price Chopper. I picked up a copy of the Press specifically to look at the ad. Everything that is on sale that I actually need you have to have an app for, No more coupons. I just had a $900 Verizon bill. I'm not adding anything to this phone and really I don't have time to play around with my phone. I want to look at the ad, make my menu and grocery list and shop. I resent the amount of time these stores including CVS are taking out of my life. CVS keeps sending me 30% off coupons saying they want me back as a customer..sorry but you made it too hard to shop your store. You put stuff on sale in your ad on SUNDAY  and when I show up on MONDAY the product isn't there, I HAVE COUPONS AND THE SELF SERVICE TRIES TO RIP ME OFF EVERY TIME SO A MANAGER HAS TO COME FIX IT. Done with that too. I don't have that kind of time AND I'M SICK OF BEING AGGRAVATED

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for ya'  The stores around here don't give a damn about shopper convenience.

Many of the employees act like they are doing you a favor by checking you out.  Now that they are getting $12.50 an hour, I thought things would change, but they didn't.

I do a lot of shopping at Sam's.  I check myself out.  When I put the articles into my cart, I put them bar code up.  I can scan my stuff in less than 1 second per item.  Barbara, the lady at the exit door, thanks me because it makes her job a lot easier.  Thank you Sam's.

When you go to a stop and rob, there will usually be one person checking you out.  There can be a huge line and do you think the person hiding in the back room will come out to get the line moving?  No way. 

Out of curiosity, what additive gives you 4 MPG more ?

^It's some kind of octane boost that is supposed to last 10 months but I drive so much it lasted for me about 30 k miles...need to do that again because I made that $20 back in savings a few weeks. I went from 36 mpg to 39.8..almost 4 miles per gallon. My tank takes 12.6 gallons and I go through over a tank a day. Plus a lot of my driving is uphill...if I was driving just in town I bet the savings would be a lot more. Try it out. :) 

Also Pete, I never have a problem with any employees at convenience stores because I'm there in the middle of the night they all recognize me and I sometimes will throw them a couple of bucks to buy a coffee or lottery ticket for themselves. I especially do that at my own Mirabito corner store where the guys and gal will help carry my stuff out to the car...like if I have a case of beer and a gallon of milk.

That being said and thanks for the reminder I'm also done with Speedway and Pilot. It's Byrne Dairy Mirabito and Stuarts for me. 

Pour quoi? You say...

Speedway does not have normal coffee anymore and their restrooms are disgusting with no paper towels. All they have is supposedly fresh ground single serve coffee that has this disgusting foam on top. To me it tastes like the coffee that used to come out of the machines at work. The coffee that came in little paper cups with cards on them so you could play poker during break time. Remember these? The coffee was too hot to drink and by the time it cooled break time was over.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Bj4h2BdFiFmShzXq8

Speaking of hot coffee...Pilot is off my list because they have real coffee but haven't had half and half or milk for a long time now. I think they are limited in how much they are allowed to use in a day. So one day last week I pour my 24 oz coffee. There is a drop of milk and a drop of half and half. I open the door to squeeze out the last of the half and half and somehow the entire contents of my hot coffee dumped on my foot. I got my sock and sneaker off in time so I didn't blister so that's it for me.

IF CONVENIENCE STORES CAN'T DEAL WITH THE VERY BASICS, A CLEAN BATHROOM AND COFFEE...FORGET IT..

They have entire caddies of flavored syrup but can't provide milk or half and half?

and BTW grown ups don't eat the plethora of junk candy... entire racks  ...freaking gummy worms and air heads ...I don't know who Pilot thinks shops in their store but it isn't a bunch of children. The only store I can find a pack of normal peppermint Life Savers in is Fastway in Weedsport. I can't find spearmint anywhere.

I went to JC L&W a couple weeks ago, and decided to walk over to Wegman’s to pick up a few things.

Was aware construction was coming up, but didn’t expect to have to walk all the down to the east side entrance, PAST a sign that said construction would begin on 8/23.

Then walk inside the foyer to the west side entrance.

Then back to the east side of the store.

Really poor planning, and my back was killing by the time I finally got back to my car.

Pete I might also add, when I used to have my oil changed at my mechanic..he's way too busy for that now, which is why I go to Valvoline..he used to use Lucas additive..My Jeep lasted 370K miles and I could get away with oil changes that weren't exactly on time..but I have a pretty regular schedule now so I always know when I'm going to Valvoline.

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I went to JC L&W a couple weeks ago, and decided to walk over to Wegman’s to pick up a few things.

Was aware construction was coming up, but didn’t expect to have to walk all the down to the east side entrance, PAST a sign that said construction would begin on 8/23.

Then walk inside the foyer to the west side entrance.

Then back to the east side of the store.

Really poor planning, and my back was killing by the time I finally got back to my car.

Well Toup they have hundreds of handicapped, expectant mother, pick up order, bottle return only spots...the Walmart at Oneonta..is convenient for me to shop but the parking...I've driven into their lot, parked, got to the door and turned around..Nope, not today, maybe tomorrow..the Advil didn't kick in fast enough and I'm not gutting it out.

I've been going to the tractor supply store on Front instead of Lowes...just because I don't have to walk a mile.

Oh, and whoever it was that told me to go to Red and White for subs...I did go this week...and I'll be going again soon to check out their meat counter again. I was too tired to really shop, but I'll make sure I hit them up after I have a nap on the road. The subs were outrageous. I could only eat 1/3 of it and I was full. The sub roll was anything but average...great flavor.

3 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Check out their prepared food also.

Especially city chicken.

Think they use JimRoma rolls.

Oh Toup I saw that city chicken and meant to go back to that case and got distracted..  :) I was really tired..I  had maybe a 15 minute nap in Unadilla after working back to back doubles. In fact I'm working doubles everyday this week. I'll definitly be getting something there this week as I have no time to cook although I did prepare a few things today. Everything I saw looked yummy...I bet those fat sausages in their meat case are something else and the prices were fine. I had a place to park but I was there early, I bet lunchtime it's packed. 

16 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I like the stuffed chicken breasts, too.

Sausage, though, I get from Pasquale’s.

I usually do too..get Pasquales at Maines but I really haven't even had time to shop there...and I need oven cleaner so I guess I'd better go after my next oil change. 

I'm not too sure about purchasing any meat prestuffed...I never do...I'm kind of leery about food poisoning.

Of course there's always the case to be made for not being properly medicated for my level of pain. You can thank idiots Cuomo, Zucker and my ex doctor for that. increased pain = decreased shopping. It's getting old having to sit down in between every chore I do. Tampa is sounding better and better. In Florida, except for the Treasure Coast Mall.. and Target (which I didn't go into because of the parking) I had ample parking everywhere I went. Even Walmart was not as bad as it is here with the parking. And there are plenty of shopping options..nonstop shopping.

5 hours ago, ginger said:

I usually do too..get Pasquales at Maines but I really haven't even had time to shop there...and I need oven cleaner so I guess I'd better go after my next oil change. 

I'm not too sure about purchasing any meat prestuffed...I never do...I'm kind of leery about food poisoning.

They’re cooked…you can take them home and bake for 30 min, or freeze, then bake for 30 min. Light breading on outside. Kind of like Barber chicken.

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

They’re cooked…you can take them home and bake for 30 min, or freeze, then bake for 30 min. Light breading on outside. Kind of like Barber chicken.

That good huh? Sounds like a quick entree I'll give it go.

• 4 weeks later...

HELLO, GOOD MORNING...My brother just called me, he wanted me to go to Weis, pick up several Cortese Pizzas, pack them in dry ice and ship them to him. I was sorry to tell him the grocery stores don't carry them anymore. Anyone know what happened with that?

Secondly, I forgot to mention I grocery shopped at Hannaford in Oneonta this week. I was there at 8:50 am, got a parking spot , 3rd car from the front. Shopping there was a lot like shopping at Publix in Florida..set up the same way. No waiting in line. The prices were soso..about the same as everywhere else. The only thing they didn't have was my Kuehne Sauerkraut...no matter. They seemed to have a lot of empty shelf space..not sure what's up with that. 

Something strange...they put signs in front of local products, like Lupos and Cora...they had a sign in front of Crowley Milk that said local product from Binghamton..I was going to mention it to the manager that they pulled out of here years ago.

On 8/30/2021 at 6:34 PM, 2pelo Honey said:

I did go back this past week...they didn't have the stuffed chicken, I did get the city chicken, had it with their pasta salad..quick and easy. They also had sliced roast beef with mashed potatoes prepackaged in take out trays for around $5.00...popped it in the microwave served with steam bag green beans and a spoonful of horseradish...another quick and easy meal. lol I'm cooking a ham, cabbage and rutebega today.

Well after eavesdropping on this conversation I decided to get lunch at Red and White, Chenango Bridge. That was one seriously good turkey sub. I'm a guy with a big appetite, but I could only finish half the sub. The other half was lunch the next day. Oh, and I also got a couple of pieces of their buttermilk chicken. I would seriously knock over a toddler and an old man on crutches to get more of that. What a gem of a place that is.

https://chenangobridgeredandwhite.com/what-we-offer/daily-specials/friday/

Looks like Friday. ^^^

Never had that, but love their stuffed egg rolls, city chicken, stuffed chicken breasts, Asian marinated pork chops, fried fish, manicotti, oh, and dips…they have Buffalo chicken, taco, and spinach artichoke in alum foil containers, so you can pop in the oven. Great meatballs, too.

3 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

https://chenangobridgeredandwhite.com/what-we-offer/daily-specials/friday/

Looks like Friday. ^^^

Never had that, but love their stuffed egg rolls, city chicken, stuffed chicken breasts, Asian marinated pork chops, fried fish, manicotti, oh, and dips…they have Buffalo chicken, taco, and spinach artichoke in alum foil containers, so you can pop in the oven. Great meatballs, too.

Sounds like you love the whole menu.