4 attorneys quit Broome County District Attorney's office within a week

F. Lee Bailey

Four Senior/mid-level attorney's have quit the Broome County District Attorney's Office within a week.  The work environment under Michael Korchak is described at "toxic". None of the attorneys are leaving for retirement or health reasons, all four are lining up jobs with other law agencies or private law firms.  

The common denominator among those who have left, or are leaving, is Korchak's Chief Assistant Mark Loughran.  His abusive treatment of the staff is currently the subject of multiple complaints and investigations. Korchak allows Loughran to run roughshod over the office, and the people of Broome County are paying the price, losing intelligent and hard working attorneys who refuse to work under these conditions. 

This is Korchak’s legacy. After finally becoming DA, a decade after his first run, he has proven to be the worst elected official in Broome County history, and one of the worst DA’s in America. 

Will there be a parade when Korchak is finally gone? Start organizing your floats now.

All of the senior attorneys are gone from the DA’s office except for Rita Basile and Tim Thayne. Basile won’t leave any time soon because her kids are young. And she gets months of vacation because she’s been with the county for 25 years. Thayne will stay until he runs for City Court Judge in 2024.

Debra Gelson is a glorified secretary. She is only there so keep peace with the Democratic Party, so Korchak can run as a Democrat in 2023.

Even Korchak’s best friend Geoffrey Rossi and longtime friend and supporter Lisa Bideaux left the office because of Mark Loughran. And the biggest loss was Stephanie Milks, who was tired of being disrespected and talked down to by Loughran because she’s a woman.

7 hours ago, Binghamton Native said:

After all the money the Korchak family put into the 2019 race, it’s mind blowing Korchak would let this “Loughran” guy run the office into the ground. I admit I was one who was strongly behind Korchak in 2019, now I can’t wait to put up a Battisti lawn sign. 

Some of us were for Battisti from day one. 

1 hour ago, Alan Dershowitz said:

All of the senior attorneys are gone from the DA’s office except for Rita Basile and Tim Thayne. Basile won’t leave any time soon because her kids are young. And she gets months of vacation because she’s been with the county for 25 years. Thayne will stay until he runs for City Court Judge in 2024.

Debra Gelson is a glorified secretary. She is only there so keep peace with the Democratic Party, so Korchak can run as a Democrat in 2023.

Even Korchak’s best friend Geoffrey Rossi and longtime friend and supporter Lisa Bideaux left the office because of Mark Loughran. And the biggest loss was Stephanie Milks, who was tired of being disrespected and talked down to by Loughran because she’s a woman.

If I were Timmy Thayne I'd get out of the DA's office ASAP.  The longer he's there the more he will be associated with Korchak, and that stigma will stick.

15 hours ago, Alan Dershowitz said:

While I believe this all to be true, these aren’t even the attorneys I was referencing. Many, many employees have quit the office because of Loughran. But four in one week is a troubling example of how toxic the DA’s office has become under Korchak and Loughran. 

18 hours ago, Alan Dershowitz said:

Deborah gelson is a floater, she goes from one city to the other. I will never forget Solak posting on Twitter how she bought a home on the west side of Binghamton and her son was threatening JOHN to remove it like really it’s public information.

Dont Forget Mara Young Grace Will be another person under the Administrarion once she loses the family court election. Her and BASILE WERE very close in that office during the Mollen Era

3 hours ago, F. Lee Bailey said:

While I believe this all to be true, these aren’t even the attorneys I was referencing. Many, many employees have quit the office because of Loughran. But four in one week is a troubling example of how toxic the DA’s office has become under Korchak and Loughran. 

Mark Loughran’s wife Sara is the Court Attorney for Mara Young Grace’s Brother who she doesn’t want any voter in Broome county to know is her brother Judge Mark Young.

Mark Loughran and Mike Korchak were both Law Partners with Chris Grace at one point before they ditched Chris and their Firm to work for DA’s office. This should be another reason why nobody should be voting for Mara Young Grace, these connections alone are disturbing 

Apparently Nasty Nadine has involved herself in employment matters at the DA's office.  Nasty Nadine is acting as a personnel officer, and getting involved with work place issues, especially with women in the office.  How can the Broome County Personnel Department allow this?  No wonder so many employees have quit the DA's office since Korchak took office.  I have heard close to 30 employees have quit since last year.  

If the DA’s wife is involved with employment issues, it’s a big violation of county policy and especially the collective bargaining policies of CSEA. I believe most of the secretaries at the DA’s office are CSEA employees.

The DA’s office should also have some level of confidentiality. And no matter who she’s married to, she shouldn’t be aware of any human resources issues.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:49 AM, Binghamton Native said:

After all the money the Korchak family put into the 2019 race, it’s mind blowing Korchak would let this “Loughran” guy run the office into the ground. I admit I was one who was strongly behind Korchak in 2019, now I can’t wait to put up a Battisti lawn sign. 

This. This is such a bold and responsible statement. It's very refreshing to see others admitting that they were wrong too. We ALL were fooled and supported and elected this jacka$$ sitting in the DA's office. We could have had Paul Battisti, who I believe would have done things right. Lots of us made a big mistake that we can't do anything about now until the next election. Hopeful that Paul decides to run again. 

48 minutes ago, QueenB said:

This. This is such a bold and responsible statement. It's very refreshing to see others admitting that they were wrong too. We ALL were fooled and supported and elected this jacka$$ sitting in the DA's office. We could have had Paul Battisti, who I believe would have done things right. Lots of us made a big mistake that we can't do anything about now until the next election. Hopeful that Paul decides to run again. 

Paul has been very active with his public Facebook page lately, I believe he will run again

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, F. Lee Bailey said:

Another talented attorney quit the Broome DA’s office within the last two weeks. She cited the toxic work environment. She took a job out of state to get as far away from Broome County as possible. 

maybe Mara Young Grace will replace her since her job in Tioga came to an end with Judge Keene retiring.