Vestal walk way along 434

snowman60

What a WASTE of money. Should have never been built. Who is going to maintain it? Who is going to police it? TOTAL WASTE of my money either state, county, or federal. I guess my biggest question is WHY do we need it?

Because many libs think we need all kinds of green space for bike riders and walkers, and this particular space for BU students because this area would be nothing without it. 

The riders I see are sparse and pretty sketchy looking in other green spaces in the area....not lots of yuppy riders they seem to think will populate them. 

Trust me, go on FB and comment on a news story, and wait for the pile-on. 

So what i think your saying is that the libs would rather spend money on useless projects and not use the money for infrastructure where it NEEDS to be spent. I wouldn't let my 30 yr old kids walk that. I guess its all about the kids. I wonder, after its done,  how many assaults, rape, muggings, and possible homicide will take place. Who is going to police it? Binghamton, Vestal, SUNY Security, or State Police? Fortunately  I avoid the parkway and downtown Binghamton. I have no use for either. Just so you know i'm not a Rep or Dem i vote for who i think will do the best job. It is apparent that most people vote party line. People.......Use your head for something other than a hat rack!!!!!

Same thing I said before: I don't know how much it would have cost to build a walk/bike bridge somewhere around Crestmont, but it would have connected the same destinations, served students on the West Side, too, and given West Siders and Lourdes employees access to a bunch of Vestal businesses without having to get in their car.

It'd have been good for property values, and they'd have done some poor Riverside Drive double flood victim a favor buying him out instead of fighting it out with all the property owners along that route.

1 hour ago, snowman60 said:

................................ Just so you know i'm not a Rep or Dem i vote for who i think will do the best job. It is apparent that most people vote party line. People.......Use your head for something other than a hat rack!!!!!

Why would you think that people vote for a party and not a person?  

4 hours ago, snowman60 said:

So what i think your saying is that the libs would rather spend money on useless projects and not use the money for infrastructure where it NEEDS to be spent. I wouldn't let my 30 yr old kids walk that. I guess its all about the kids. I wonder, after its done,  how many assaults, rape, muggings, and possible homicide will take place. Who is going to police it? Binghamton, Vestal, SUNY Security, or State Police? Fortunately  I avoid the parkway and downtown Binghamton. I have no use for either. Just so you know i'm not a Rep or Dem i vote for who i think will do the best job. It is apparent that most people vote party line. People.......Use your head for something other than a hat rack!!!!!

Well, as to your 1st sentence, it would appear so. To most of the rest of your post, it would also seem you think it’s a bad idea. 
And believe it or not, I am a reg Rep who doesn’t vote party line either. However, as time goes on, and the progressives get crazier, I’ll be more prone to do so.

10 hours ago, snowman60 said:

So what i think your saying is that the libs would rather spend money on useless projects and not use the money for infrastructure where it NEEDS to be spent. 

Isn't the current Binghamton mayor a conservative Republican?  More than half of the work is happening in/on his watch.

8 hours ago, FormerSomeone said:

Shame they didn't build it on the river side so it might be a pleasant walk with a view.  

Loooong before this insipid project was on the drawing board I envisioned the river side of that stretch to be cleared of trees and vegetation for a spectacular view of the river and farside riverbank/trees. Seen many such views in other cities. Of course many would object to such a teardown of trees and I respect that. 

That's a long walk...I can see it now...February, cold and rainy...everything is a sheet of ice. Bob Bearcat spends his last dime on the girl he tries to hook up with and strikes out leaving him downtown afterhours without a penny to catch a cab or Uber...all of his friends took the bus way earlier and he's stranded. 

Stranded downtown State Street, feeling like a fool, I'll have to walk, the trail back to school.

Slippery, I can't see. the wind is freezing my eyes shut

I should have left a while ago, that girl was nothing but a slut

My toes are numb I feel so dumb, I can't walk faster than I am

Oh please, someone drive by...it's slippery...

Well I made it over the State Street Bridge, there's some accomplishment to that

I could stop at the Mirabito and try to call a fellow Bearcat

The store is closed, the streetlight glows an unearthly pinkish dim

Things are looking pretty grim, it's slippery.

Good start on your lyrics.

It's a good point. Will this walkway be shut down in the winter for safety? Even if they did have EV self driving bus on it you wouldn't want anyone to slip and fall in it's path. To start with have a driver until the self driving is perfected.

This could be an opportunity for SUNY to collaborate with a local business such as Empire Golf Cars, 820 Conklin Road Binghamton, NY 13903, to design a suitable EV shuttle for the walkway.  Don't know what the load limit is for S. Washington St. Bridge but full shuttle weight would need to be under that.

In any event there seems to be quite a few EV shuttle start ups out there now.

https://empiregolfcars.com/Golf-Carts-Cushman-Shuttle-6-2022-Binghamton-NY-f47f1317-c120-4a61-9c6d-adbe00c1c099

https://www.johnrdundon.com/golf-carts-and-qualified-electric-vehicle-tax-credit/

When I went to Florida I was looking to rent a golf cart to zip around in and there were regular golf carts and "street legal" carts. It looks like the street legal carts qualify for the tax credit.

Although, wouldn't a trolley line have been something nice...different...

I know some of the Vestal Ave residents are vehemently against the trail. One particular resident that is probably in favor of it lives on the corner of Vestal Ave  and Ivanhoe Rd. There is an entrance to the trail that is directly across from his house which will make his bike ride or walk to his high paying job at the University very pleasant.