Alec Baldwin shoots, kills woman on movie set

Wildcat23

Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a set in New Mexico on Thursday, accidentally killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

The incident occurred on the set of “Rust,” an independent feature that was filming at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a popular production location south of Santa Fe.

Hutchins, 42, was transported by helicopter to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where she died. Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where he is undergoing treatment for his injuries, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alec-baldwin-rust-incident-santa-fe-1235094931/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, 92CorruptCourtStreet said:

Couldn’t of happened to a better guy

This was almost like a Mandela Effect thing, where I briefly thought "Didn't he already kill a woman?"

Seriously, though, I'm not a fan of his politics or recent behavior, but I did go to a conference at a resort hotel a few years ago where he stayed for an entire summer and the staff I was chatting with swore up and down that back then he was the nicest and most respectful guest they could have wanted, played games with them almost every day and sat and drank with them after shifts, and they felt so bad when he started having public meltdowns. (Where Kim Basinger was apparently a bitch who wouldn't consort with the staff at all.)

I feel sorry, thoughts with him and the woman's family, and the director. That's got to be a mess to live with.

5 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Never point a gun at a person.

Assume all guns are loaded.

Never let a stupid person handle a gun.

I assume they were trying to film something where the gun had to be pointed more or less toward a camera. Something like this happened about 25 years ago and I'm surprised they don't have strict rules making it impossible. What's SAG-AFTRA even for if they're not performing the most basic function of a union, keeping people from coming home from work in a box?

19 minutes ago, Bingoloid said:

This was almost like a Mandela Effect thing, where I briefly thought "Didn't he already kill a woman?"

Seriously, though, I'm not a fan of his politics or recent behavior, but I did go to a conference at a resort hotel a few years ago where he stayed for an entire summer and the staff I was chatting with swore up and down that back then he was the nicest and most respectful guest they could have wanted, played games with them almost every day and sat and drank with them after shifts, and they felt so bad when he started having public meltdowns. (Where Kim Basinger was apparently a bitch who wouldn't consort with the staff at all.)

I feel sorry, thoughts with him and the woman's family, and the director. That's got to be a mess to live with.

I assume they were trying to film something where the gun had to be pointed more or less toward a camera. Something like this happened about 25 years ago and I'm surprised they don't have strict rules making it impossible. What's SAG-AFTRA even for if they're not performing the most basic function of a union, keeping people from coming home from work in a box?

Today the news posted Baldwin’s words “why was I given a hot gun”, like really dude natural instinct should be to check if it’s loaded and he should be aware of the difference between blanks and real live rounds. Baldwin is a woke liberal who prolly hates Guns. Just my opinion

1 hour ago, 92CorruptCourtStreet said:

Today the news posted Baldwin’s words “why was I given a hot gun”, like really dude natural instinct should be to check if it’s loaded and he should be aware of the difference between blanks and real live rounds. Baldwin is a woke liberal who prolly hates Guns. Just my opinion

He does and is notably anti-2A. The quote I'm seeing is more along the lines of "I've never been handed a hot gun", which seems like a fair enough thing to say in disbelief. He was reportedly also breaking down.

Even a lot of police officers are dangerous with firearms. Recruits have often never touched one before and get only remedial follow-up training after the initial course. Fully 10% of all LEO deaths to gunfire last year were reportedly "inadvertent". We've also had relatively recent incidents where local officers have negligently shot at homeowners. (I don't mean "mistaken identity". I mean, "they were playing RoboCop with their service weapon and nearly killed themselves or someone else, then got caught trying to cover it up".)

Point is, this should never happen, yet even professionally trained people where handling loaded weapons are part of the job duties get careless and do this all the time. The one I was thinking of from decades ago - Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son - apparently, there was a manufacturing error from the effects team which left the gun in a dangerous state, the studio sent the set's gunmaster home early thinking he wasn't needed and trying to stay on-budget, and then the director changed the scene to give the weapon to a different actor who wasn't expecting to be doing it. Even if he did inspect the gun himself, he might have simply not understood what he was looking at as the gunmaster might have, and also would have been coached for the scene.

(It is also alleged that Lee declined to wear a vest on-set, despite guidelines that they should be worn, and all of this was compounded by the fact that the crew did not realize Lee had been shot for some time. They thought he'd hit his head when he fell for the scene.)

Point is, when something weird happens it can be hard to say it's all one person's fault. Either way, whatever happened here, there are no accidental shootings, only negligent, because it always requires multiple failures that could have broken the chain.

3 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

He does and is notably anti-2A. The quote I'm seeing is more along the lines of "I've never been handed a hot gun", which seems like a fair enough thing to say in disbelief. He was reportedly also breaking down.

Even a lot of police officers are dangerous with firearms. Recruits have often never touched one before and get only remedial follow-up training after the initial course. Fully 10% of all LEO deaths to gunfire last year were reportedly "inadvertent". We've also had relatively recent incidents where local officers have negligently shot at homeowners. (I don't mean "mistaken identity". I mean, "they were playing RoboCop with their service weapon and nearly killed themselves or someone else, then got caught trying to cover it up".)

Point is, this should never happen, yet even professionally trained people where handling loaded weapons are part of the job duties get careless and do this all the time. The one I was thinking of from decades ago - Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son - apparently, there was a manufacturing error from the effects team which left the gun in a dangerous state, the studio sent the set's gunmaster home early thinking he wasn't needed and trying to stay on-budget, and then the director changed the scene to give the weapon to a different actor who wasn't expecting to be doing it. Even if he did inspect the gun himself, he might have simply not understood what he was looking at as the gunmaster might have, and also would have been coached for the scene.

(It is also alleged that Lee declined to wear a vest on-set, despite guidelines that they should be worn, and all of this was compounded by the fact that the crew did not realize Lee had been shot for some time. They thought he'd hit his head when he fell for the scene.)

Point is, when something weird happens it can be hard to say it's all one person's fault. Either way, whatever happened here, there are no accidental shootings, only negligent, because it always requires multiple failures that could have broken the chain.

Let’s see what the police report says. That said, I believe if this was a union shoot (irony intended) than a union “gunmaster” should have been on site and inspected the piece before it was handed to the buffoon.

Alec Baldwin is vocally anti-gun.  And yet he has no qualms about making millions brandishing them for movies.  Hollywood hypocrite.  Shame he never took any NRA safe gun handling training.  Always handle them like they were loaded and point them in a safe direction.

A convincing actor should just make a finger "gun" and say "pow, pow".