ME Football Controversy

DanCooper

That section 4 official should go on record as the source, if not... he / she should resign.  This was handled EXTREMELY poorly by them from minute one.  I don't agree with their ruling but it is their ruling.  Making a public spectacle out of it just makes things reprehensible.  

The whole thing was / is bush league and many of these "administrators" (whose job primarily is to protect kids) will have their careers forever admonished.  I firmly don't believe it matters which camp you fall in (let him play, don't let him play) it should have been handled way better.  Really was low ball  

BP elevating again, I knew I should have stayed off ;)    

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, GTO said:

That section 4 official should go on record as the source, if not... he / she should resign.  This was handled EXTREMELY poorly by them from minute one.  I don't agree with their ruling but it is their ruling.  Making a public spectacle out of it just makes things reprehensible.  

The whole thing was / is bush league and many of these "administrators" (whose job primarily is to protect kids) will have their careers forever admonished.  I firmly don't believe it matters which camp you fall in (let him play, don't let him play) it should have been handled way better.  Really was low ball  

BP elevating again, I knew I should have stayed off ;)    

100%

Ham-fisted handling fuels conspiracy theories. That’s just a simple man’s perspective. 

Now reading it is in front of a judge... if he/she reinstates the player(which I suspect will be done),  the section is really going to have some crow to eat.   Either way, if this was handled a little more professionally, this would not even be an issue. 

Sparents out in full force.

M-E and this family tried to get around the system and should experience consequences. The triple cities are literally awash in former high school heroes who can't let go of the past. Now it is to the point that the schools exist not for the development of young people's minds and growth as contributing citizens but to provide a bizarre setting for the masturbatory fantasies of aging jocks and jock sniffers. Yet another generation of glorified gym class heroes who will end up eventually enrolling at BCC before entering underachieving careers locally and perpetuating the cycle. 

But hey, "Local School Sportsball Nation" swag on grown adults and their cars is cool!

On 10/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, PeteMoss said:

The father's case should be thrown out and someone should give him a swift kick in the rear end. 

If they played by all of the rules, which it appears they did, then they have a case.  If they did not, then they don't.  I have more than a casual knowledge of the situation and honestly, to my eval, they played by all of the rules and pre-empted - or appeared to have - the issue.  Again, I will be shocked if the player is not back on the filed.  In the immortal words of my boy Monk (Randy Newman actually)... " I could be wrong, but I don't think so"  ;)     

20 minutes ago, GTO said:

If they played by all of the rules, which it appears they did, then they have a case.  If they did not, then they don't.  I have more than a casual knowledge of the situation and honestly, to my eval, they played by all of the rules and pre-empted - or appeared to have - the issue.  Again, I will be shocked if the player is not back on the filed.  In the immortal words of my boy Monk (Randy Newman actually)... " I could be wrong, but I don't think so"  ;)     

This thread isn't the easiest to follow...details are pretty sketchy but what I'm seeing...

The taxpayers of VESTAL footed the bill to develop this players talent all of these years and now he wants to play for ME? 

Father states in his letter he's being looked at by Buffalo and West Point...so they already knew about his talent previous to the beginning of this season. 

And, as Pete said...HE STOLE SOMEONE ELSE'S SPOT. HE STOLE SOMEONE ELSE'S OPPORTUNITY.

NYSPHSAA TRANSFER RULE

A.  A student in grades 9-12 who transfers, with a corresponding change in residence of his/her parents (or other person with whom the student has resided for at least six months) shall become eligible after starting regular attendance in the second school. A residence change must involve a move from one school district to another. Furthermore, when a student moves from one public school district to another public school district, for athletic eligibility, the student must enroll in the public school district or in a private school within that district’s boundaries of his/her parents’ residency. For athletic eligibility, a residency is changed when one is abandoned by the immediate family and another residency is established through action and intent. Residency requires one’s physical presence as an inhabitant and the intent to remain indefinitely The Superintendent, or designee, will determine if the student has met district residence requirements.

B.  A student who transfers without a corresponding change in residence of his/her parents (or other persons with whom the student has resided for at least six months) is ineligible to participate in any interscholastic athletic contest in a particular sport for a period of one (1) year if, as a 9-12 grade student, participated in that sport during the one (1) year period immediately preceding his/her transfer. Students who transfer from any school to the public school district of the residence of his/her parents (or other persons with whom the student has resided for a at least six months) or a private school within that district’s boundaries shall be exempt from the Transfer Rule. That type of a transfer without penalty will only be permitted once in a high school career. NOTE: A student in a foreign exchange program listed by CSIET has a one-year waiver of the Transfer Rule. If such a student elects to stay a second year he/she becomes a foreign student at the start of the school year with item (B) in effect.

Exemptions to (B): For athletic eligibility a student must enroll in the public school district or in a nonpublic school within that district’s boundaries of his/her parent’s residency.

1. The student reaches the age of majority and establishes residency in a district and can substantiate that they are independent and self-supporting.
2. If a private or parochial school ceases to operate, a student may transfer to another private or parochial school of his/her choice. Otherwise, a student must enroll in the public school district of his/her parents’ residency.
3. A student who is a ward of the court or state and is placed in a district by court order. Guardianship does not fulfill this requirement.
4. A student from divorced or “legally” separated parents who moves into a new school district with one of the aforementioned parents. Such a transfer is allowed once every six months. The legal separation agreement must address custody, child support, spousal support and distribution of assets and be filed with the County Clerk or issued by a Judge.
5. A student who is declared homeless by the Superintendent pursuant to commissioner’s Regulation 100.2.
6. A student of a military employee who is transferred to an active military base may enroll in the non-public school closest to their residence and maintain eligibility if the student enrolls in a nonpublic school immediately following the change in residence.

NOTE: It is provided, however, that each school shall have the opportunity to petition the Section involved to approve transfer without penalty based on an undue hardship for the student.

C. Transfer students trying out for sports before school opens in the fall shall register and be accepted by the principal of that school before the medical examination and the first practice. This shall constitute the start of the regular attendance for fall sports.

NOTE: After approval by the school medical officer, a student may practice immediately and must satisfy the specific Sports Standard according to the number of practice sessions required.

D. Practices at the previous school may be counted toward the minimum number of practices required provided the principal or athletic director of the previous school submits, in writing, the number and dates of such practices to the principal or athletic director of the new school.

E. 7th and 8th graders who compete at the HS level will be subject to the transfer rule in “that” sport, effective with the 2017-2018 school year.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:31 PM, ThelmaHarper said:

Sparents out in full force.

M-E and this family tried to get around the system and should experience consequences. The triple cities are literally awash in former high school heroes who can't let go of the past. Now it is to the point that the schools exist not for the development of young people's minds and growth as contributing citizens but to provide a bizarre setting for the masturbatory fantasies of aging jocks and jock sniffers. Yet another generation of glorified gym class heroes who will end up eventually enrolling at BCC before entering underachieving careers locally and perpetuating the cycle. 

But hey, "Local School Sportsball Nation" swag on grown adults and their cars is cool!

thank you for the laugh today.... the sad part is what you wrote is so true... so many dads live through their kids sports

Jason van Fossen must think that we are stupid.  "The Committee ruled unanimously that forfeiture of wins by the Maine-Endwell varsity football team was not necessary due to circumstances outside of the district control. " 

Jason knew where the kid played last year.  The whole district is a bunch of cheaters, every adult and every admin knew what was going on.

What a pathetic excuse for a superintendent.

4 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

Jason van Fossen must think that we are stupid.  "The Committee ruled unanimously that forfeiture of wins by the Maine-Endwell varsity football team was not necessary due to circumstances outside of the district control. " 

Jason knew where the kid played last year.  The whole district is a bunch of cheaters, every adult and every admin knew what was going on.

What a pathetic excuse for a superintendent.

Agreed, Pete. Now we have proof that one of the local schools is condoning cheating and placing athletic glory above academic achievement and adherence to rules, fair play, and consequences of actions. There are surely others. 

After thinking about the resolution of the disturbing situation at ME, the only conclusion would be this.  They did not want ME going into the playoffs with 1 win.  So they restored the wins so that if ME goes far in the playoffs, they will look like a legitimate team and not like a 1 and 7 team.  They KNOW that the kid was ineligible so they removed him from the team.

Everyone acts like the cheater is the victim.  No he is not.  He knows where he really lives.  Does he think that what he did was justified?

The whole team and residents of ME are the victims.  They will forever have this hanging over their heads. 

The most victimized person is the M student.  He did not get to play.  What else did he lose.

The school board should start to negotiate the release of JVF.  Out the door, and the sooner the better.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:00 AM, PeteMoss said:

After thinking about the resolution of the disturbing situation at ME, the only conclusion would be this.  They did not want ME going into the playoffs with 1 win.  So they restored the wins so that if ME goes far in the playoffs, they will look like a legitimate team and not like a 1 and 7 team.  They KNOW that the kid was ineligible so they removed him from the team.

Everyone acts like the cheater is the victim.  No he is not.  He knows where he really lives.  Does he think that what he did was justified?

The whole team and residents of ME are the victims.  They will forever have this hanging over their heads. 

The most victimized person is the M student.  He did not get to play.  What else did he lose.

The school board should start to negotiate the release of JVF.  Out the door, and the sooner the better.

I doubt the ruling was to make their record look better for the playoffs. They probably only got the wins back because the district demonstrated that it did all the correct steps to validate residency and made reasonable effort to verify that the parents and kid were actually living in the apartment. Who knows... maybe they did actually move to and live out of the apartment for a time but then vacated it without telling the district? But illegal player is an illegal player whether they knew or not.

I blame the kid's parents more than anyone else. They were the decision makers and knew what they were doing all along. I highly doubt the father was not aware of the rules and probably figured they wouldn't get caught. His lawsuit to let his son play because of his college recruiting prospects is laughable and shouldn't hold up in court.

1 hour ago, Hank Mitchell said:

I doubt the ruling was to make their record look better for the playoffs. They probably only got the wins back because the district demonstrated that it did all the correct steps to validate residency and made reasonable effort to verify that the parents and kid were actually living in the apartment. Who knows... maybe they did actually move to and live out of the apartment for a time but then vacated it without telling the district? But illegal player is an illegal player whether they knew or not.

I blame the kid's parents more than anyone else. They were the decision makers and knew what they were doing the whole time. I highly doubt the father was not aware of the rules and figured they wouldn't get caught. His lawsuit to let his son play because of his college recruiting prospects is laughable and shouldn't hold up in court.

Right.  And what about the M student.  He was the person ACTUALLY injured in the incident.  Were his chances hurt by not starting? 

I am reading the filings on the Broome County Clerk's website. 

So the first part of the filing says "Petitioners reside at 2901 North street in the Village of Endwell, County of Broome, State of New York""  There is no village of Endwell.  I would think that a sharp lawyer like Ronald Benjamin would know this.  Just like there is no village of West Corners or West Endicott.  So right away Ronald is mis-stating a fact.

Line 3 - great proof reading.  did you know that there is a "State Highway &" in Sydney? 

This says that he is a running back.  I thought he was a Quarterback?  Which is it?

On 10/30/2021 at 2:36 PM, DanCooper said:

Interesting developments. GTO I’ll never doubt you again.

Dan !!!   u da man

Stay tuned, more to come methinks....  the kid is getting boned.  

I am not directly involved in any way, but in the words of Ice T  ...   "Hey don't look at me, I just know stuff"