Price at Willow Point Nursing Home increasing $23 a day

Professor J. Ruskin

We are constantly told Willow Point is a safety net for seniors in our community. $23 per day is a pretty drastic increase.

It sounds like gross mismanagement. The county should cut the administrator’s salary before they charge a single senior $23 more a day.

I didn’t see any grandiose press conference from our illustrious County Executive announcing the rate increase. 

2F00537C-A755-4CAB-8BDD-DB4257A0B69D.jpeg

44 minutes ago, UE MOM2 said:

$8,400 more per year is a huge increase.  How can Jason Garnar do this?  Those who aren't Medicaid covered just have to find the money or get thrown out on the street?

Yeah.

The way this usually goes for people is that they get spent down until they are Medicaid-eligible. Medicaid then recovers long-term care costs from the estate when they pass, which catches a lot of families off-guard when they find out they won't be inheriting the house, etc. It's not a great system.

Valuable reminder to people who still have time to look into LTC insurance and Medicaid planning before you find out you need it, even if you think you won't.

7 hours ago, UE MOM2 said:

$8,400 more per year is a huge increase.  How can Jason Garnar do this?  Those who aren't Medicaid covered just have to find the money or get thrown out on the street?

I have actually seen evictions of residents because residents don't want the increase money to go the nursing homes. Several years ago we employees actually stirred up a stink, went to the Press then hooked us up with Albany. Not only did this nursing home have several charges against them for unsanitary conditions but also abusing the amount of money they were taking from the residents, they were using scare tactics on the residents if they didn't turn over the extra money Social Security sent them they would find themselves without a home. Fortunately that place was shut down after we gave the state a list of the conditions happening in that residence. I get irate when I hear about these conditions in our local nursing homes and its people like Jason Garner who enable this type of this illegal activity.  Lupardo too.

• 3 months later...

I hope you don't mind I bumped this thread instead of starting a new one.

Jason Garner was on WNBF this morning. He states they have 12 National Guard working double shifts. He complains about short staffing and says the nursing home is still in a state of emergency. 

Yet, they just admitted 8 new residents. I can see a lawsuit happening any day now.

They had an offer not long ago to merge with another company, would have taken about 1-1.5 years or so to make it happen.  Garner turned it down - said he can't WP afloat long enough for that transition.  Will be interesting to how this contract he has will work out.

Listening to Friday's edition of Binghamton Now, the legislature appears split on whether or not this is a good deal. I expect more discussion today. My impression is, not a good deal...administrative self dealing. That's what Jason Shaw and Mark Whelan said. Their former administrator said the same.

When I get on my lap top I can link... several years ago Otsego County sold their nursing home. The owners got rid of the union, fired half the staff,  cut the pay of the remaining employees, cut the meal program, and eventually went to jail for neglect and endangering the welfare...

They have no staff now and have the National Guard filling in. I think the time is wrong to be cutting deals. And I certainly don't think they should be admitting new patients at this time.

🙂 But I'll hang up and listen now.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh that crazy insane Emily..

Mark Whelan on WNBF right now stating right of first refusal clause in Willow Point contract has never been in another contract and 2 yrs down the line there's going to be another emergency that will precipitate the sale. He says it's the stupidest thing he's ever seen. I can't wait to see how this scam is going to play out.

There is some type of behind the scenes deal going on with Willow Point.  And the article in the Press on Friday giving them such a high grade.  REALLY?  The place is disgusting.  They were approached by another company and got pushed aside over a year ago.  Good thing for the other company I think - dodged a bullet

RAF, eventually I'm going to figure out what it is they are doing. I'll just keep adding to this list until I do. Here are the elements so far. .involves

2 yr waiting period

Auction

Fraudulent lapse in paying property taxes

A third party involved 

Same law firm for all parties involved

Rent to own option

Right of first refusal option

No licensed realtor involved

20 hours ago, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

There is some type of behind the scenes deal going on with Willow Point.  And the article in the Press on Friday giving them such a high grade.  REALLY?  The place is disgusting.  They were approached by another company and got pushed aside over a year ago.  Good thing for the other company I think - dodged a bullet

You seem to know quite a bit about the place. Why don't you state your sources, what makes the place disgusting and which company tried to purchase the nursing home.  You seem to be on the inside and have a lot of knowledge.  Please enlighten us.  Your obvious hatred of the place is coming through your words.  I encourage you to tell us the findings that label this nursing home as a grade below B during the pandemic, what is disgusting and why doesn't NYS know about this disgusting place and which company tried to buy the nursing home from the county.  You sound so smart.

There is a lot that goes into the grading of the nursing homes.  Chenango County was completely left out of this survey.  How did Willow Point get a B when they were hit particularly hard with Covid deaths?  What are their infection control surveys like?  There are a lot of things that go into surveys, and this one didn't clearly state how these grades were achieved.

I have no hatred of Willow Point.  Not impressed with Garner at all.  Extreme dislike of of politics perhaps.  And politics is what this situation is all about.

And no, I won't state my sources.  I've seen enough of it first hand as well.  And I've made no claims to be any smarter than anyone else.  Just expressing my opinion like we all do here??  

50 minutes ago, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

There is a lot that goes into the grading of the nursing homes.  Chenango County was completely left out of this survey.  How did Willow Point get a B when they were hit particularly hard with Covid deaths?  What are their infection control surveys like?  There are a lot of things that go into surveys, and this one didn't clearly state how these grades were achieved.

I have no hatred of Willow Point.  Not impressed with Garner at all.  Extreme dislike of of politics perhaps.  And politics is what this situation is all about.

And no, I won't state my sources.  I've seen enough of it first hand as well.  And I've made no claims to be any smarter than anyone else.  Just expressing my opinion like we all do here??  

I didn't think you would state your sources.  As far as which nursing homes were or were not included in the press article then perhaps you should question the article's writer.  You could also ask that person how the gradings (which in your opinion are false) were achieved.  People who work in our local nursing homes are underpaid and overworked.  The job is not standing there and taking coffee orders and passing them out a drive-thru window.  I really have to wonder what your first hand knowledge is.  You can't force people to work in nursing homes and many are experiencing labor shortages.  Having a pandemic didn't help the situation and learning to deal with a potentially fatal virus while at the same taking care of one's self and their families.  It has nothing to do with how much brain power one exhibits.  It's about compassion and trying to make the best situation for our senior citizens who may require nursing care.  Obviously you only care about school letter grading.

16 minutes ago, rightorwrong said:

I didn't think you would state your sources.  As far as which nursing homes were or were not included in the press article then perhaps you should question the article's writer.  You could also ask that person how the gradings (which in your opinion are false) were achieved.  People who work in our local nursing homes are underpaid and overworked.  The job is not standing there and taking coffee orders and passing them out a drive-thru window.  I really have to wonder what your first hand knowledge is.  You can't force people to work in nursing homes and many are experiencing labor shortages.  Having a pandemic didn't help the situation and learning to deal with a potentially fatal virus while at the same taking care of one's self and their families.  It has nothing to do with how much brain power one exhibits.  It's about compassion and trying to make the best situation for our senior citizens who may require nursing care.  Obviously you only care about school letter grading.

So many assumptions you make here.  I know EXACTLY what nursing home employees go through.  I AM ONE.    Yes, I question the validity of the letter grading because I AM ONE.  I see the PTSD from Covid, the depression from long work hours, the sadness when we lose a resident for any reason because I AM ONE.  How much more first hand knowledge is needed.  This Willow Point thing is all politics and Garner's agenda.  Could have been taken care of a year ago or more.

19 minutes ago, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

So many assumptions you make here.  I know EXACTLY what nursing home employees go through.  I AM ONE.    Yes, I question the validity of the letter grading because I AM ONE.  I see the PTSD from Covid, the depression from long work hours, the sadness when we lose a resident for any reason because I AM ONE.  How much more first hand knowledge is needed.  This Willow Point thing is all politics and Garner's agenda.  Could have been taken care of a year ago or more.

I didn't make any assumptions.  I countered your statements of the survey and nursing homes of which you mentioned Willow Point by name.  And I find it sad that you would label WP as disgusting while now trying to turn it around like your disgust is with Garner.  I'm done with this conversation.  You made your point.

The state has no business rating any nursing home in a pandemic year. How stupid is it to rate a facility that is classified as being in state of emergency, has no staff, has no administrator and relies on the military to pull double shifts to get work done? 

I'm with RAF on this. The rating if anything should have been N/A.

12 hours ago, ginger said:

The state has no business rating any nursing home in a pandemic year. How stupid is it to rate a facility that is classified as being in state of emergency, has no staff, has no administrator and relies on the military to pull double shifts to get work done? 

I'm with RAF on this. The rating if anything should have been N/A.

Medical facilities get ratings all the time during good times and bad times.  Is it fair?  Probably not especially when dealing with a highly contagious virus like COVID-19 that could potentially result in deaths.  No medical facility was equipped for this.  Lack of ventilators, not enough beds in ICU units and most certainly because of Gov. Cuomo's decision to transfer elderly patients out of hospitals and into nursing homes did not help matters.  I'm not with RAF on this.  RAF's comment was this:

"There is some type of behind the scenes deal going on with Willow Point.  And the article in the Press on Friday giving them such a high grade.  REALLY?  The place is disgusting.  They were approached by another company and got pushed aside over a year ago.  Good thing for the other company I think - dodged a bullet."

Dodged a bullet?  Then RAF states that they are a healthcare worker.  I would assume being in healthcare that one would know the difficulties that health related facilities including hospitals and nursing homes were experiencing  especially at the beginning of the pandemic.  I am sure everyone tried to do the best they could.  But RAF labels WP as disgusting.  Then claims to have inside knowledge that another company tried to purchase the facility and they were shoved aside.  It's pretty worrisome that someone with this much knowledge is going around labeling a nursing home as disgusting without relating their sources or why they feel the way they do about this nursing home.  

The original post is about nursing home costs going up and I'm sure WP is not the only nursing home in Broome County that has raised it's daily rate.  

So you say you agree with RAF but then you say the rating should have been N/A.  I was trying to get RAF to support their "disgusting" comment or to at least find out on how the ratings were achieved by the Press article.  I never said which Grade any facility should have received.  Some of the facilities in the article got "F's" and were they warranted?  We don't know unless we are able to determine what the ratings are based on and if they are fair ratings.  Out of all the nursing homes mentioned - RAF selected WP and their grade.  Why?  Just because the original poster said that WP rates were going up?    

No facility is perfect.  Each has their flaws.  We are all human.  And we make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.  But if negative comments are made then one should be prepared to back those comments up if someone questions them.  To me it seems more about being disgruntled then anything else.

The employees there during the pandemic trying to get supplies had their hands tied because decisions couldn't be made at the local level.  Garner's office had the final say and it caused massive delays.  It caused poor conditions for the health care workers who were already stretched doing double/triple shifts.  I never said the health care workers were responsible for the conditions they were forced to work in.  Trying to get masks and gowns, having to reuse things...just an example. Supplies were so short around the country and when something was available somewhere, it needed to be acted on.  Not wait for hours or days for 'approval.'  I'm not disgruntled at all with WP or any facility - it's the way it was/is being run by the county.  Even their administrator bailed.  The county has no business being involved with nursing homes.

The rating system is not clearly defined and not a rating system generated by NYS that I could see.  As an example, the CMS star rating system takes into account a number of items which may give a more complete rating system across the board.

What was said was said and there is no sugar coating it.  You have expressed your "disgust" and now you are trying to back pedal your explanation to suit the narrative.  This has nothing to do with privately run or county run healthcare facilities.  The administrators for each must follow NYS guidelines and requirements.  Most health care facilities were running of PPE or having to reuse supplies.  It's been on the national news that this has happened.  Workers stressed to the limit, working double shifts and not having enough PPE to go around.  It's not just a county run facility experiencing those things.  Many senior citizens cannot afford privately run facilities and probably WP will be privatized someday and then you won't have to worry about the country running it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Safe staffing mandates started last week. RIght now...An Rn supervisor has 20 patients for the night...she has to do care, pass meds and be supervisor.

She said, " It's been a shit show from the get go."

I expect I'll be hearing more as the week progresses.