Gannett/Binghamton Press elimination of obituary guestbooks via legacy.com…why?

WolfMan

They’ve been gone a few months now, but did anyone see a notice from the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin explaining as to why Gannett parted ways with Legacy and thus no longer have the Guestbooks so you can express condolences from afar? 

Old obituaries still have their guestbooks, and some funeral homes do also on their own online presence, but the ones via Legacy on pressconnects and other Gannett newspapers in New York were a wonderful thing to have and, well, nice for the families of the departed.

The obituaries on the P&SB are a disaster.  I subscribe and right now I can't see today's obits unless I read the actual paper.  The online version only has obits up to yesterday.

The "Resumes for Heaven" used to be a lucrative business for the paper.  They did not need writers, just some people from over seas who could understand English to input the obit.

.But with Covid and some funerals being family only the revenue is going down. 

Also, some Funeral Homes have their own websites and if they do put the obit into the paper, it is only a link to their website.

Newspapers are going out of style. 

23 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

The obituaries on the P&SB are a disaster.  I subscribe and right now I can't see today's obits unless I read the actual paper.  The online version only has obits up to yesterday.

The "Resumes for Heaven" used to be a lucrative business for the paper.  They did not need writers, just some people from over seas who could understand English to input the obit.

.But with Covid and some funerals being family only the revenue is going down. 

Also, some Funeral Homes have their own websites and if they do put the obit into the paper, it is only a link to their website.

Going out of style? They are gone

3 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I noticed the difference w/out Legacy, but not that there are no guestbooks? 

I thought that was up to each family posting an obit. 

There haven’t been ANY the last few months. It was a Legacy thing. The guestbooks were hosted by and were on legacy.com. Thus Guestbooks have been gone since Gannett discontinued using Legacy.

2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Yep. I've seen more and more of people doing this, in part because in some regions, obituary prices keep going up. The newspapers are struggling for ad revenue so they're balancing their  books on other traditional publication fees.

The end result is that a lot of people just no longer run newspaper obits. Everyone's just going to Google the deceased anyway.

Even ten years ago, people I knew who still subscribed would justify it by pointing out that it was embarrassing if someone died and they missed it. Now it's not even reliable for that.