Korchak failed to act on Buffalo gunman last summer

Former Top Cop

In June 2021, police in Broome County were called by SV school officials who told them Payton Gendron had threatened violence. A school official reported that this very troubled young man had made statements indicating that he wanted to do a shooting, either at a graduation ceremony, or sometime after.

Michael Korchak oversees the school resource officer program, with an officer stationed at SV high school. Korchak made the decision last June not to take further action against Gendron for making terroristic threats. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a complete and total failure of the Korchak/Loughran administration.  If a student says they are going to shoot up a public event, they should be charged with making a terroristic threat.  When this happened at Whitney Point High school in 2018, DA Steve Cornwell did the right thing and charged a student with a felony. 

Had Payton Gendron been arrested and charged, he would have been on the radar of everyone in the community.  He also would have been monitored by professionals.  No one can say there weren't warning signs. 

Korchak and Loughran are a threat to the safety of everyone in Broome County, and now everyone in New York state. 

Look at the timeline… June 2021 when this punk should have been arrested, Korchak was preoccupied with drumming up bogus charges against his political rivals,  Cornwell and Worhach, who weren’t going to support him for reelection. 

10 people are dead. What bigger of a warning sign did Korchak need? Korchak needs to be removed from office.

I can't imagine why red flag wasn't immediately triggered.

Sorry link didn't work. 

But Kathy Hochul is on the case! She wants to know all about this so called " mental health evaluation".

33 minutes ago, ginger said:

I can't imagine why red flag wasn't immediately triggered.

Someone has to take the initiative to pursue the ERPO, there's no automatic trigger. I haven't read the statute, but my understanding is that the investigating trooper is empowered to do that on his own authority - as are household members, school officials, and the DA's office.

Was this actually referred to the DA's office for prosecution?

6 minutes ago, Bingoloid said:

Someone has to take the initiative to pursue the ERPO, there's no automatic trigger. I haven't read the statute, but my understanding is that the investigating trooper is empowered to do that on his own authority - as are household members, school officials, and the DA's office.

Was this actually referred to the DA's office for prosecution?

Yes. The DA’s office has a presence at SV high school, SRO Chuck Hoffman. Hoffman made Korchak aware of the threat, and Korchak declined to prosecute.

Just now, Former Top Cop said:

Yes. The DA’s office has a presence at SV high school, SRO Chuck Hoffman. Hoffman made Korchak aware of the threat, and Korchak declined to prosecute.

That is terrible, if accurate. Kids pop off and stay stupid shit, but Ginger is correct that we have tools in this state to intervene without piling on a felony to head things off.

20 minutes ago, Bingoloid said:

That is terrible, if accurate. Kids pop off and stay stupid shit, but Ginger is correct that we have tools in this state to intervene without piling on a felony to head things off.

It’s a possibility someone may force Korchak to resign over this although I don’t believe it’s going to happen. Also, blm will prolly be in conklin protesting infront of the home of the shooter 

5 hours ago, Bingking said:

It’s a possibility someone may force Korchak to resign over this although I don’t believe it’s going to happen. Also, blm will prolly be in conklin protesting infront of the home of the shooter 

Well that's another thing...what was his excuse for wanting to do a school shooting or some other large scale shooting LAST YEAR? What was his logic then? 

Fox news is going with, he was radicalized..twitter insists he's racist and his parents are too.

I call BS. Portions of that manifesto were copied rhetoric. He had murder on his mind way before he decided to be racist.

Hopefully Korchak is removed from office over this.  He is the worst excuse of an elected official New York State has ever seen. 

Not only did the threat happen at a Broome County high school, it happened at a school where Korchak has one of his own employees, working every day.  A law enforcement source told me Korchak's school resource officer and state police reported the threat to Korchak, and he made the call not to charge Payton Gendron with a crime. 

693A152D-451D-4FEC-81C5-B0F673DB0B69.jpeg

10 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

Look at the timeline… June 2021 when this punk should have been arrested, Korchak was preoccupied with drumming up bogus charges against his political rivals,  Cornwell and Worhach, who weren’t going to support him for reelection. 

10 people are dead. What bigger of a warning sign did Korchak need? Korchak needs to be removed from office.

Bingo.  Korchak is driven by politics, not pubic safety. If the killer was related to any of Korchak's political rivals, he would have charged him and plastered him all over the media.  

It is good Gendron was identified as a threat. The records will be investigated. Other shooters in other locations were identified as a threat too and fell through the cracks to commit their crimes. I think the Parkland school shooter in Fla. is one.

This is another sickening example of why Korchak is unfit to be district attorney. It’s one thing after another with this guy. I’ve never been so motivated to see an elected official be defeated for re-election. 

Please tell me where and when I can donate to his opponent.

The lives lost are irreplaceable. Those families will never be the same. This appears to be clear negligence on the part of District Attorney Korchak. Especially when the precedent had been set in Broome County to file felony charges when a student makes a threat to shoot up a school. That did not happen last June, and many people are furious and want to know why.

I have to wonder, what could this potentially cost Broome County in civil suites against Korchak? I would suggest us taxpayers may be on the hook for billions in damages.

C'mon Korchak.....................ANSWER the freakin question about what happened with this kid!!

Stop being such a feckless A-hole and do your job!!!

We the people want answers...................NOW!!!!

Stop hiding behind Nadine, put your Big Boy pants on, and hold a news conference.................IF you believe you did everything possible to prevent this!!

Dumbass!!!

It is the blind leading the stupid in that DAs office!!

Being honest here, Korchak and Mark Loughran have blood on their hands. They should not get a pass. Being if Korchak was busy, Loughran, his second in command, should have followed up to do their jobs instead of camera spots all the time. Korchak gave him that position of authority. There should be no excuses to this tragedy. They both have blood on their hands and need to apologize to those families. Mark Loughran is a racist, you just have to look up the accusations against him! it’s of record! The National Media needs to investigate this ASAP. Look how he tried to come after me using the probation dept. to cause trouble for me and was he arrested for what he did? No.. he got a pass because he has the power of the DAs office. Then he had a major law office threaten me. This is the Mark Loughran we know. Korchak knows all this and allows it, even after I called him to warn him. Blood on your hands Korchak and Loughran! 

29 minutes ago, Independent said:

Being honest here Korchak and Mark Loughran have Blood on there hands. Korchak and Loughran should not get a pass being if Korchak was busy Loughran his second in Command should have followed up to do their jobs instead of Camera spots all the time. Korchak gave him that position of a authority. So there should be no excuses to this tragedy they both have Blood on their hands and need to apologize to those families. But Mark Loughran is a racist you just have to look up the accusations against him it’s of record. The National Media needs to investigate this ASAP. Look how he tried to  come after me using Probation to cause trouble for me and was he arrested for what he did. No he got a pass because he has the power of the DAs office. Then he had a major law office threaten me. This is Mark Loughran we know. Korchak knows all this and allows this even after I called him to warn him. Blood on your hands Korchak and Loughran.

Great point Garo, I agree with you 100%. If you don’t mind me asking but can you say the name of the major law office that threatened you . I would and I’m sure others would like to know who is in cahoots with Korchak and loughran although I have a guess. Thanks 

From Piers Morgan's story in the NY Post  

https://nypost.com/2022/05/16/the-buffalo-shooter-told-us-who-he-was-why-didnt-police-stop-him/#

But right now, there are urgent questions I would like Broome County police (KORCHAK) to answer:

Did you check Gendron’s computer and phone after he threatened to shoot up his school? We know he spent many months, possibly years, studying previous mass shootings and race hate crimes.

Did you speak to his schoolmates and ask them about his worrying behavior and state of mind that was causing them concern?

Did you know his father had given him a gun for his 16th birthday?

Why didn’t you put any note on his background check files detailing his threat to shoot up his school and subsequent two-day mental health evaluation? The man who sold him the Bushmaster, Robert Donald of Vintage Firearms in Endicott, NY, says nothing showed up to give him any doubts about whether to sell. “He didn’t stand out,” Donald told police. “Because if he did, I would’ve never sold him the gun.”

Surely, whatever your view of guns, we can all agree it’s bonkers that an obviously troubled teenager known to police for threatening to enact a mass shooting was then left alone to legally arm himself and commit a mass shooting less than a year later.

As Maya Angelou said: “When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.”