Walmart Pushes Back on Suppliers' High Prices

thomas

Walmart Inc. is warning major packaged goods makers that it can no longer stomach their price hikes, pitching its own private-label products to shoppers as less-expensive alternatives to suppliers' name-brand goods.

But now with the cost of cardboard cases declining by 40-50%, the cost of transportation falling by 25-30% and the cost of raw materials declining significantly, "retailers like Walmart will say 'hey you already had three rounds of price hikes last year, why are you giving us another?'" said Burt Flickinger, managing director at retail consulting firm Strategic Resource Group.

Read Newsmax: Walmart Pushes Back on Suppliers' High Prices | Newsmax.com

Good morning Thomas. I bet they are pushing back. I was on twitter one day last week talking about the bargains I got when the Home Value store closed in Fredonia. 

Specifically I had mentioned trash cans. They were $104.00 at Lowes, $108.00 at the Tractor Supply store and $85.00 at Walmart. The same Rubbermaid 40 gallon cans on wheels I purchased at Kmart 22 years ago were $32.00.

I ended up getting 32 gallon cans for about $30.00 at Home Value.

A few hours later, I was surprised to see that Walmart liked my tweet! 

Who in the world can afford $100.00 for a trash can? Not me. I was sorry to see that store shut down because it was convenient but I was glad I was in the right place at the right time. And darned if I'm not kicking myself for not having an extra $300 that week. I really wanted a new lawn mower. Oh well, I did get a really nice mini chainsaw.