Snow Friday/Saturday could upend Binghamton Parade Day

Tom Forman

I am Irish and I can't stand Binghamton Parade Day, it has devolved into a disgraceful celebration of alcoholism.  An early forecast for this weekend calls for snow and ice Friday night into Saturday.  What will the drunks do? 

My family marched in the parade for decades.  It was always fun in the 80's and 90's, but the current leadership at AOH and the parade committee have let the parade turn into a disaster, and it's an insult to Irish families.  It is not safe to be on the road in Binghamton or the nearby villages and towns on Parade Day weekend.

If the forecast is bad, the city of Binghamton, the parade committee, AOH and all the bars needs to do the responsible thing, and not encourage people to come out.  We don't need to risk more lives this weekend.  The drunk drivers will only drive worse in the winter weather. 

One year, maybe 1999?, snow started in the early am, and by noon, there was 6-8” down. Still went on. 

I had gone to the KOC the night before, and missed the Parade for the 1st time in several years, but ended up going to St Michael’s at night, after roads had cleared, again for the 1st time ever.

Sadly, I can’t stomach what it’s turned into these days, either. Mostly BU students being rude, ignorant, obnoxious, and pukey…by early afternoon. 

I think our generation (boomers) were taught that that if you drank around the elder’s, you were expected to handle yourself, especially in public, which then usually carried on throughout our lifetime, versus the puking, pissing, and general obnoxiousness that the youngsters these days proudly display.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:15 PM, Masty Huba said:

No amount of snow, sleet, or rain will stop County Clerk Tipsy Joe Mihalko.  Even if the parade is canceled he will polish off a 30 pack of Michelob Ultra. 

Maybe Vic Firman will run for The County Clerk job. I don't know about a 30 pack but didn't he polish off Matt Ryan ?

Awww, look at all of those happy Hibernians. 🙂 I wish I was going tomorrow but I had a lot of trouble just getting through the line at DiReinzo's. Hopefully they'll show it on WSKG again this year.

Awww, look at all of those happy Hibernians. 🙂 I wish I was going tomorrow but I had a lot of trouble just getting through the line at DiReinzo's. Hopefully they'll show it on WSKG again this year.

On 2/27/2023 at 3:24 PM, Tom Forman said:

I am Irish and I can't stand Binghamton Parade Day, it has devolved into a disgraceful celebration of alcoholism.   

Like this is unique to Binghamton? Not much different than any city’s same event. I was at two in NYC, one in the 1980s and one in the 1990s and both were despicable in regards to the folk watching. Sure, a majority were fine but the drunken fools ruined it for many. 

Thanks for posting the link Thomas! 

Post edit...link works...I sent it to my mom in Florida and daughter on Long Island so we can watch it together

..Thanks again!

I'm not sure. Was that Senator Lea Webb dressed in all black walking along side the road?

Seriously, she couldn't put something nice on and walk with the rest of the politicians?

17 hours ago, ginger said:

I'm not sure. Was that Senator Lea Webb dressed in all black walking along side the road?

Seriously, she couldn't put something nice on and walk with the rest of the politicians?

1 hour ago, ginger said:

I did not see her there...I saw her walking in the gutter.

Ms. Webb was walking in the center of the road, in a purple coat with a festive scarf, along side Donna Lupardo.  She wasn't dressed in all black and wasn't in the side of the road. 

Ginger's racist comments are not appreciated.

2AE86F3F-9691-4BE6-8178-4DCF6BDCB16D.jpeg