NOT THE ROMA BREAD!

ginger

Please someone tell me I was dreaming when I woke up at 3:48 this morning. I thought I read Roma bakery is shutting down. 

Roma is the only bread I eat. When my mother lived here it was the only bread she ate and she'd get pretty darned upset if you brought home something else. "It's the only bread that tastes like real bread." Funny her tastes evolved so much because my brother and I were raised on Wonder bread...lol, $.15 cents a loaf...I  think when we left the city it was $.35 cents. 

I usually purchase 2 loaves at a clip and keep one in the freezer. I have mailed Roma bread to my mother and daughter...along with the speidie sauce that my brother can't get at his Publix anymore.

How are we going to have a speidie fest without the speidie bread. 

I'm so flummoxed. I was dreaming, right? RIGHT? 

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

While it was sad to hear Felix Roma is closing, I think Jim Roma bread is miles above in taste and quality.

Felix is red, white, and green packaging, and Jim is white w/ blue lettering.

Funny I only like Roma bread, but it has to be DiRienzo rolls. 

Omg...Red and White only uses Roma rolls. THE SUBS! 

Are those Jim or Felix? And yes, if I'm making garlic bread it's the blue and white unsliced Italian or French. I cut the ends off and freeze for French onion soup or croutons and make garlic bread with the rest.

11 minutes ago, ginger said:

Funny I only like Roma bread, but it has to be DiRienzo rolls. 

Omg...Red and White only uses Roma rolls. THE SUBS! 

Are those Jim or Felix? And yes, if I'm making garlic bread it's the blue and white unsliced Italian or French. I cut the ends off and freeze for French onion soup or croutons and make garlic bread with the rest.

I think you're safe...you've been enjoying Jim's bread, etc, not Felix's. 

You should try Jim's hard rolls w/ the top knot, and the sausage rolls. 

2 hours ago, ginger said:

Please someone tell me I was dreaming when I woke up at 3:48 this morning. I thought I read Roma bakery is shutting down. 

Roma is the only bread I eat. When my mother lived here it was the only bread she ate and she'd get pretty darned upset if you brought home something else. "It's the only bread that tastes like real bread." Funny her tastes evolved so much because my brother and I were raised on Wonder bread...lol, $.15 cents a loaf...I  think when we left the city it was $.35 cents. 

I usually purchase 2 loaves at a clip and keep one in the freezer. I have mailed Roma bread to my mother and daughter...along with the speidie sauce that my brother can't get at his Publix anymore.

How are we going to have a speidie fest without the speidie bread. 

I'm so flummoxed. I was dreaming, right? RIGHT? 

Very sad if true. Can’t be about lack of sales. Must be a retirement thing, like Pancho’s Pit.

Battaglini’s is my next choice.

Just now, 2pelo Honey said:

I think you're safe...you've been enjoying Jim's bread, etc, not Felix's. 

You should try Jim's hard rolls w/ the top knot, and the sausage rolls. 

I'm not sure if I ever see them except at Red and White. It's only recently I've seen Battaglini bread in Price Chopper on Upper Front. The couple of times people brought me Battaglini, I found you need to eat it fast. 

Lol Toup...4 in the morning and I'm googling how long can you keep bread in the freezer. 🙂 I've kept Cider Mill Donuts and Irish Soda bread in the freezer for maybe 8 months and they were still fresh when defrosted. 

43 minutes ago, ginger said:

I'm not sure if I ever see them except at Red and White. It's only recently I've seen Battaglini bread in Price Chopper on Upper Front. The couple of times people brought me Battaglini, I found you need to eat it fast. 

Lol Toup...4 in the morning and I'm googling how long can you keep bread in the freezer. 🙂 I've kept Cider Mill Donuts and Irish Soda bread in the freezer for maybe 8 months and they were still fresh when defrosted. 

I also get JR's stuff at Weis and Pasquale's deli. 

With no preservatives, I learned the hard way about not refrigerating their breads...I've seen mold in one overnight. 

Re: the freezing, did you see the guy's post on Facebook who brought a Wagner's cake out of the freezer (more than 20 yrs old), and said it was still pretty good, except for the raspberry filling, which had turned into more of a fruit jerky. 

I'm much more comfortable w/ baked goods re: freezer time than meat. 

4 minutes ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I also get JR's stuff at Weis and Pasquale's deli. 

With no preservatives, I learned the hard way about not refrigerating their breads...I've seen mold in one overnight. 

Re: the freezing, did you see the guy's post on Facebook who brought a Wagner's cake out of the freezer (more than 20 yrs old), and said it was still pretty good, except for the raspberry filling, which had turned into more of a fruit jerky. 

I'm much more comfortable w/ baked goods re: freezer time than meat. 

Lol Toup, that brings back memories. 🙂 My ex husband and I saved our wedding cake top from Wagners to eat on our one year anniversary...it was the same...white cake with the raspberry filling. Omg, I  took one bite and in the trash it went. A year was too long.

I've never had a problem freezing bread..but it doesn't last long because I rotate it out and only keep half a loaf out at a time...same with hotdog or hamburger rolls. I only take out what I need now. I used to keep them in the fridge but would end up tossing half the package and buying new. Soggy on the bottom and dried out on top.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ndirish said:

I wonder if the closing of Lupo’s S and S Charpit impacted them?  I can’t remember if they had Jim or Gene breads. 

I don't know. I used to purchase 2 lbs of cooked chicken spedies and pick up the bread at the same time.

I have some pork speidies in the freezer. I guess that's dinner tomorrow.