EYFL

Guest guest

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

EYFL is a terrific league for any kid who wants to learn football. My kids have been in EYFL for years and could not be happier. There will always be someone out there trying to start trouble, but the fact of the matter is that EYFL is probably the best place in the area for a kid to learn fotball. That's not taking anything away from Vestal, which also has a quality program. But I would certainly recommend EYFL to anyone -- what a great experience for the kids!!

Guest Guest

EYFL, like all leagues, had some ups and downs over the past couple years. It was a difficult time for the board and for the league, caused by a few but affecting many. Fortunately, EYFL is not about the board but has always been about the kids. That's what makes EYFL so great. There are lots of great places to play football in the area. I would never say a bad thing about any of them, but my choice and my kids' choice has always been EYFL. Yes, some jumped ship, but I prefer to teach my kids that when things get tough, you stick it out. You don't quit. Loyalty counts. I can't wait for this season. I'm sure it will be great!

Guest Guest
If EYFL is so great, why did most of the board leave last year?

Because mommy and/or daddy didn't get what they want and showed they are less mature than the kids in the league with their "it's my ball and I'm going home" mentallity.

@

Guest guest

hmm. I heard the ME youth program is good too, they are a travel league - but reasonable. Heard they dont take kids that cant 'cut it' in modified- only go up to age 12.

just heard that eyfl has like half their players not returning - they have like 12 kids per team in every division if they stay the current way. not letting my 7 yr old play a complete game, no thank you.

Guest Guest
hmm. I heard the ME youth program is good too, they are a travel league - but reasonable. Heard they dont take kids that cant 'cut it' in modified- only go up to age 12.

just heard that eyfl has like half their players not returning - they have like 12 kids per team in every division if they stay the current way. not letting my 7 yr old play a complete game, no thank you.

This statement is absolutely false.

Guest Guest

EYFL is doing fine, our numbers are fine (could use a few more in the upper division, but that's always expected and always works out year after year). We obviously have a rat, and now we know who it is, by the set of numbers you posted. If you have a problem with the leadership at EYFL, you should have had the guts to stand up and say so at the meeting, rather than spreading lies and rumors that hurt the league. That behavior only hurts the kids. We've seen no real positive contribution out of you this year, so I don't know how you can complain about leadership at the league at all! As you know, we have a new board, with several members, like myself, who have not been on the board in the past but who are willing to step up and help for the benefit of the kids, and if people like you with some experience with football were to make yourself useful rather than badmouth the league and its leadership, it would really benefit the kids! We could certainly use your help.

Anyone who has complaints about the league is more than welcome to contact me. My e-mail is on the website. There is no way we'll ever be able to make every person happy, but I listen to everyone and take everyone's concerns into consideration. I am a parent of 4 sons. I have the same concerns as the rest of you. Although it may seem simple, these issues that come up are not always easy to deal with, and there's not always just one answer to any given problem. If you have helpful solutions, please share them, rather than spreading gossip. Running a youth football league is a lot of work. We're all volunteers committed to doing what's best for the kids. The gossip and rumors only make it more difficult to get the job done for the kids. So please use your energy and talents to help us out.

I look forward to seeing everyone Saturday morning down at the airport. Remember that we can still take new players only up until the draft, so if anyone knows of a child who wants to play who has not gotten registration turned in, make sure you tell them they have to get there Saturday at the latest to register.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT YEAR AT EYFL!!

Joan Mencel, EYFL President

Guest been there, done that

well, it looks like someone hit a nerve. i'm wondering about something the Pres said - if the person who knew the numbers - had them as correct - as the Pres proves by stating the person "must've" been at the meeting - then it isn't a rumor or gossip - The Pres has confirmed it folks - those numbers are FACT!

i don't think anyone wants any kids league around here to fold. However - there is an overwhelming amount of people in the community - that want the 'wizard behind the curtain' to take himself off to retirement. Then you'd see your numbers come back. Thats coming from parents & coaches in other league"s" as well as this one. and from adults who played under him many years ago who dont even have kids playing yet.

Thats not "rumor and gossip" it's opinion and not illegal in this country.

Guest EYFL Supporter
well, it looks like someone hit a nerve. i'm wondering about something the Pres said - if the person who knew the numbers - had them as correct - as the Pres proves by stating the person "must've" been at the meeting - then it isn't a rumor or gossip - The Pres has confirmed it folks - those numbers are FACT!

i don't think anyone wants any kids league around here to fold. However - there is an overwhelming amount of people in the community - that want the 'wizard behind the curtain' to take himself off to retirement. Then you'd see your numbers come back. Thats coming from parents & coaches in other league"s" as well as this one. and from adults who played under him many years ago who dont even have kids playing yet.

Thats not "rumor and gossip" it's opinion and not illegal in this country.

I believe what the President of the League meant was the way this worm has been shooting off his mouth about issues he has no clue about, not the numbers issue. There are rumors that ALL 11 yr olds are moving up ..... FALSE !!! There are rumors that 12 yr olds can play in the lower division.....FALSE !! I have seen this Board work year after year trying to make this the best youth football league around and as a parent, I think they have succeeded. Every year they plead for new Board Members, only a few will step up to the plate. My advice to all the naysayers is just watch and see how great this season will be. And for those that jumped ship and went to VYFL, (which also runs a great program) you will see that they have their share of problems as well numbers wise. Either volunteer your time like the rest of the Board or cut them some slack..... it's really not that difficult

Guest Guest

Vestal only has a problem with it's upper,that's why they want to field two teams in the upper and have the eyfl field two teams in their upper and play each other.

My name is Charlie Peguero President of the VYFL.

I know what it's like to run one of these leagues and I know what Mrs Mencel is going through.It's not easy and you definately won't make everyone happy no matter what you do. She's a first year president that I don't believe she was on the board before which makes her job even harder she is trying to do what's right for the kids.We had a nice phone conversation and have been talking via e-mail. I'll say it again her job is not easy and I'm sure she is feeling like she jumped into a hornets nest.Believe me we don't spend the hours we do running these leagues because we don't have anything better to do. We do it because we love the sport and the kids. The way it works is the board comes to a decsion and then the president deals with the aftermath. Every league has problems and hopefully things will go well for the EYFL this year.

I really hope that Vestal and EYFL can come to an agreement and play each other, I feel it's the best thing for both leagues and the kids and that is the only thing that really matters the kids. The last couple years we have scrimmaged quite a bit in our lower and middle divisions and had a lot of fun doing it.If we put our minds to it and keep the players in our minds and nothing else, good things will happen. It's not about the coaches or the parents or the board of directors. I tell my parents and coaches every year I don't care if your happy it's about the kids.

For the record Vestal will have between 20-22 a team in the lower and 17-19 in the middle our upper is hurting and has been since the schools changed the modified to seperate 7and 8th grade teams.

Guest been there, done that

Well, I would have to say after hearing these two Presidents write that it seems as though one league is ready and willing to change with the times and the other is not. Noone ever said it was any presidents fault - everyone knows who "really" runs eyfl. If your going to tell me I dont know what I'm talking about, well I've had about a half dozen conversations myself with the man in the past 6 months, who calls it 'my league' and what "he's" going to do for 'his league' etc, etc

Quit blaming the person you call the 'worm' I'm sure you'd like to say it's his fault that your numbers are down about 100! Thats A LOT and if they all went to VYFL then their league would be hopping! But it looks like their numbers are only slightly higher then last year. People change, kids change, only eyfl NEVER CHANGES......... Ask yourselves WHY?!

This will be my last post on here. Our numbers are not up from last year they are down slightly from last year.

Time to go to evaluations. I will make the same offer as the EYFL president, my e-mail is on our website. www.vyfl.org for anyone that has questions about our league.

Guest Guest

Boy, it's sure interesting to see how many people have so little respect for people that volunteer their time to youth sports. I would just like to thank EYFL for a great season last year & look forward to another one this year. We were new to the league last year & both of our boys had great coaches & a good time. Our littlest has decided to take this fall off due to an extended baseball season, but our older boy can't wait to take the field. I have the utmost respect for any volunteer in all youth organization & think some should really think about their own motivation before they "courageously" post anonymously.

Guest Guest
Boy, it's sure interesting to see how many people have so little respect for people that volunteer their time to youth sports. I would just like to thank EYFL for a great season last year & look forward to another one this year. We were new to the league last year & both of our boys had great coaches & a good time. Our littlest has decided to take this fall off due to an extended baseball season, but our older boy can't wait to take the field. I have the utmost respect for any volunteer in all youth organization & think some should really think about their own motivation before they "courageously" post anonymously.

I agree completely. My boy had a great team and coach last year and really learned to play and he can't wait to play at EYFL again this year. All of the coaches and the people who run the league are volunteers and we can't thank them enough for all the time and work they put in to making this fun for the kids. Great job!

• 1 month later...
I agree completely. My boy had a great team and coach last year and really learned to play and he can't wait to play at EYFL again this year. All of the coaches and the people who run the league are volunteers and we can't thank them enough for all the time and work they put in to making this fun for the kids. Great job!

Concession lady arrested for misuse of league credit card to buy items for personal use.

Go to pressconnects.com

Archived