what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol Bucca...after a settlement like that I'm surprised you were even riding together.

Yeah Guy..Sugarman's was a great store... I never understood why they closed, it always seemed busy..

Grossman's in Vestal.. Grand Way and Philly's in Endicott..the texas hots place next to the Philly's..in fact that whole plaza area with The Keg, the original Tony's, radio shack..grocery store..now look at it..pitiful.

But the business I miss the most is the old Apalachin Hotel..those were the days B)

how bout the clinton hotel or lincoln hotel and union hotel well the clinton and I think lincoln are still open but the clinton is near death.

I really miss Phillies on Clinton St.

I was in Target the other night, and the popcorn smell gave me a flashback, although I read that the actual Phillies popcorn machine is now at Windy Hill Candle Factory.

I'm glad someone mentioned Masciarelli's Market...that place was awesome!!! Seasoned pork roasts...mmmmmmmm.

I know there are others I'm missing, but I just can't think of them now.

I was in Elmira 2 weeks ago and saw the Pudgie's, did a huge U-turn and ran inside. I think the kids behind the counter were like "what is up with this dude".

The Tony's Pizza in Endicott back when they were in the K-Mart plaza near J.F. Snapp was incredible during lunch time.

Anyone miss BarJo's on the arteial highway, those were the days.

Guest Guest
Yeah Guy..Sugarman's was a great store... I never understood why they closed, it always seemed busy..

They closed because they expanded too quickly and got scared, then closed all of the stores except the franchise store in Eynon and the Vestal store. Then, as the owner aged and no one in the family wanted to take over and he did not want to sell it to others, and the laces like Walmart coming into play, they closed the Vestal one and the Eynon store followed soon after.

Scotch and Sirloin, Mr. Emma's drug store at the corner of Vestal and S. Washington, Starnes and Francis store near McArthur School, Penn Ave Market, V Drive In, Phil Chin's, Earl at Haggerty and Forbes, Squire and Prep Shop, Umbriago's near BCHS, the Hub Deli, Home Dairy....seems like there are way to many gone but not forgotten.

Guest Guest

Archway Hobbie Shop, at the corner of Main St., and Floral Ave. in Bing. Bought many HO race cars there. He had a track set up and you could try the car out for a couple of laps before you bought it.

Guest Tennessee Tuxedo

Chumley's.. Hands down the best bar food this area had or will ever have. Always cold beer and probably the best wings in town.

Guest guest

Philly's on Clinton Street had THE BEST POPCORN ever! (even though Larry Morano claims to have the origina philly's recipe for popcorn up at Windy HILL candle factory there is no way any comparison!..I remember going into that store and being struck by the smell of popcorn, mothballs and Jablon's cigar smoke..his cigars were bigger than he was! I always took my kids there for sneakers and Easter clothes...Woolworth's downtown Binghamton was the best place to go before a parade for new mittens and hot chocolate!.. ALJO'S on Henry street had the ABSOLUTE best pizza EVER!

Guest Johnny Wishbone

Okeniewski's (spelling?) Bakery back behind the green house on Glenwood Rd.? The smell of those cinnamon glazed donuts and sticky buns even on a Saturday night. Riverhouse bowling alleys, The Flying Machine, Snoopys, Duffs in Endicott.......

I miss the old Hershey's market and divines on the south side also the white star market. I just had some pudgies after the race 2 wks ago up at the glenn still going strong up that way (Elmira,Horseheads, etc etc......). Not trying to argue with BQ but the pudgie 2 slice special was never a dollar it started at $1.99 for 2 plain and a drink, also that same special now is $5 and change :rolleyes:. Good stuff though.

Guest Guest

This is such a great thread.

I loved Phila. Sales popcorn, Pudgies Pizza too! There was a great little pharmacy that was on Conklin Ave (is now the Relief Pitcher) that I remember getting paper dolls & lollipops at.

Guest guest
This is such a great thread.

I loved Phila. Sales popcorn, Pudgies Pizza too! There was a great little pharmacy that was on Conklin Ave (is now the Relief Pitcher) that I remember getting paper dolls & lollipops at.

That was Mars pharmacy, and Laura's Luncheonette was there too..where the Relief pitcher is today..The Acme then SuperSaver was there too where Rite Aid is..until Robert Hooks gave back to the Mandervilles what they had deserved for years..I remember it well.

Guest Guest
There's a Pudgies in Elmira and I think one remains near Ithaca.

Cortland too near the hospital on the northeastern end of town, across from a Wilson Farms.

Guest Guest

Pat's Bar and Grill - Johnson City!

Home-made pierogies; potato, cheese, cottage cheese and yes, prune.

Seems that a dozen was around a couple bucks.

The best!

Alan's Sporting Goods on Court St.

Got my first pair of Converse Sneakers there. What a relief not to have wear those F-H Flyer's or EJ rejects.

My Mom worked at EJ's when I was growing up.. Got all the rejects..

Klines on Washington Ave for clothes.... I too miss Pudgies and the old A&W car hop places (the one on the parkway and the one in Owego).... For restaurants, I miss Jim'n'Nicks BBQ that was on the ave... best ever BBQ place in the triple cities.

Archived