what your favorite old buisness thats gone

OP.

Klines on Washington Ave for clothes.... I too miss Pudgies and the old A&W car hop places (the one on the parkway and the one in Owego).... For restaurants, I miss Jim'n'Nicks BBQ that was on the ave... best ever BBQ place in the triple cities.

I'm with ya on the Jim'n'Nicks. I moved here from Bradford county Pa. and for a long time this area never felt like home and I felt like an outsider. I remember most of the businesses you all are talking about and it helps me feel like this is actually my home town.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mascarelli's (sp?) was a great one. The was a German market over on State St near the ice cream place too that was good. V-Drive in! Ha, fantastic. Mars Pharmacy was owned by 2 name Charlie and Nellie. Nellie's sister owned Shish-Kabobs and Suds and then Taz, or the place before Taz. Eagle soda, forgot about that one. The candy store on Vestal Ave near MacArthur School we called Fannies. Not sure of the other name listed in here. The guy used to leave his dinner table behind a curtain behind the register and come out to sell to us. Good selection of comics also.

Guest Guest

Collins' Tavern on East Side, Leighton's Pharmacy (and most all of the independent pharmacies), Pudgies, Larry & Kay's, Elijah Glass, Talbot's Ice Cream, Sandy Beach swimmimg, Leahy's Meat Mkt,

Guest guest

How about the original Dino's bar next to where Music City used to be on Main St. in binghamton. The bar at the Ramada before Esprit, but not located where the Espirit is, Power & Light on the Parkway, Scotch and Sirlion up the hill where the offices are and the Mohigan meat Market on Chenengo St. i remember going to this market with dirt floors in the 60's or late 50's.

Guest Guest
How about the original Dino's bar next to where Music City used to be on Main St. in binghamton. The bar at the Ramada before Esprit, but not located where the Espirit is, Power & Light on the Parkway, Scotch and Sirlion up the hill where the offices are and the Mohigan meat Market on Chenengo St. i remember going to this market with dirt floors in the 60's or late 50's.

Xanadu

Guest Frank

Tedeschi's Market,Avenue Restaurant (best fries) in Endicott,A&W in Vestal,Waldorf in J.C. with Charlie Cuifo,Juanita Crabb's Christmas Party, The establishment in Binghamton, The Wigwam in Kirkwood,Tony's in Owego,The Richford Hotel (best weed)

Guest Dickie

Topkees with the dancing girls in window with white go go boots,The Topper in West Corners (the old one on Day Hollow)the Airport Diner with the best breakfast counter,The Devil's Elbow in Owego,

I'm surprised no one said Boscovs, what with all the "Boscovs will be closing in _____" posts here over the years, I figure SOMEONE would have believed it and thought they did actually close.

Speaking of that, we haven't had a "Boscov's is closing in ____" thread started here since October. Someone is sleeping at the wheel.

Wolf

@

Guest Guest-UE MOM-*
"THE KEG" in the Endicott Plaza

I never went there, but it's very special to me since my parents met there-heard lots of great stories-sounded like a fun bar.

Guest Guest

Woolworths - my grandmother worked there and we used to go and have the best grilled cheese with her on her lunch break.

Lawrences Dairy bar in Conklin - fly strips and all. Had the best ice cream......

Guest Guest

Fowlers in Downton Binghamton - I remember the organist playing at christmas time as you walked in the door. Loved visiting the basement section. Don't remember what was down there - probably toys at that time - but it was where I liked to go when we went there. Loved eating in the restaurant they had too.

@

Guest guest
Fowlers in Downton Binghamton - I remember the organist playing at christmas time as you walked in the door. Loved visiting the basement section. Don't remember what was down there - probably toys at that time - but it was where I liked to go when we went there. Loved eating in the restaurant they had too.

@

Fowlers had their perfume counter down in the basement. And their discount clothes. Anyone remember the talking Christmas tree at JC Penney? We used to terrorize that girl that had to sit inside that thing!...I miss HEADQUARTERS in JC..that was the place to be man..it rocked..unknown DJ..the original Barbarians teams..all the nurses from Wilson and Lourdes..and Moonbeam and his spiedies with cheese sauce..omg..feckin awesome.

Guest Marilyn

Charlie's Sweet Shop on Jackson avenue in Endicott for the best chocolate pie and a coke for lunch,Jimmy's barber shop for the worst haircut in the world (also in Endicott) ,Vivona's pool hall for a piece of pizza cut in half with a sausage in the middle (a Hoby),Neisner's 5 and dime on Washington Ave,Luizi's Drug Store,Randy's subs,Metro's on North Street,Johnny Cordelli's hideaway.The Barrister on Oak Hill Avenue,The BEacon Inn,The Other Place in Vestal,The Blue Moon in Vestal,The Arlington,the Unicorn in West Corners,Fort Apache out on Day Hollow Road.

Grandway in Endicott, Fowler's, Sugerman's, Newberry's in Owego with the soda fountain, Power & Light Disco, Elk's Bake Shop on Washington Avenue, V-Drive Inn, Airport Drive Inn, Hamlin's Drug Store in West Corners, the Keg, Blue Moon, Jack's by the Tracks and the chicken BBQ outside, Skyline Amusement Park in Owego, the West Corner's field Days, etc.

@

Guest thomas zevon

Maciarelli's Market on Susquehanna St. was the absolute best for meat & cheese. Also the original Argo diner with the individual juke boxes in the booths on Court St. brings back fond memories.

@

Fowlers had their perfume counter down in the basement. And their discount clothes. Anyone remember the talking Christmas tree at JC Penney? We used to terrorize that girl that had to sit inside that thing!...I miss HEADQUARTERS in JC..that was the place to be man..it rocked..unknown DJ..the original Barbarians teams..all the nurses from Wilson and Lourdes..and Moonbeam and his spiedies with cheese sauce..omg..feckin awesome.

OMG...I remember post-Rugby parties at the HQ's!!!

Ceraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazie, man, and how much fun?!?!?

This is a great thread.

Guest Guest-Facts Are Better-*
A&W Root Beer and also Long John Silver's is still in business on the Vestal Parkway !

Although, no car-hops.

I wouldn't say still in business... the new places are nothing like the original drive-in burger joints... and it was over 30 years between one closing and the other opening. While I was never at original one that was where the U-Haul is now... the food at the Cortland drive-in is so much better. The burgers in Cortland melt in ones mouth. Well, they did before the fire a few years ago. While they have changed since then, they still taste a lot better than the the assembly line food in the new combo store in Vestal.

What is sad, is that they no longer franchise new A & W drive-ins. They only grant franchises for stand alone, combined with other Yum! Brand restaurants, food courts or attached to gas stations.

Fowlers had their perfume counter down in the basement. And their discount clothes. Anyone remember the talking Christmas tree at JC Penney? We used to terrorize that girl that had to sit inside that thing!...

I remember that tree... Went inside it as a kid in the late 70's before they moved to Oakdale. Was fun making the eyes open and close... and talk through the speaker. Also remember the stairs were right in front of the main doors going down to linens and other housewares.

Archived