Who thinks their kid has a shot at the pro's?

Guest The Truth

Guest The Truth

Interested to see if there are any parents that feel their children are good enough to go pro. By the sounds of some of these comments, I was almost convinced some were already pro. Come on don't be shy and you can remain anonymous.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Truth

Funny you guys act so tough bashing each other, but aren't brave enough to remain anonymous and state whether your kid has what it takes to be a pro, you guys suck, get a reality check. Always bragging about your kids acting as if they're getting paid to do sports. Better yet quit complaining about the coaches on the internet, be brave enough to tell them off in person. Everyone is a bunch of backstabbers that can't get their sh*t straight. Middle aged parents trying to live off what your kids accomplish. Try putting yourself in their shoes for once you selfish bast*rds.

Funny you guys act so tough bashing each other, but aren't brave enough to remain anonymous and state whether your kid has what it takes to be a pro, you guys suck, get a reality check. Always bragging about your kids acting as if they're getting paid to do sports. Better yet quit complaining about the coaches on the internet, be brave enough to tell them off in person. Everyone is a bunch of backstabbers that can't get their sh*t straight. Middle aged parents trying to live off what your kids accomplish. Try putting yourself in their shoes for once you selfish bast*rds.

Dude you have to calm down and not let the critisism affect you like this----It is not good for your health------

Hey, I am a woman and I have the...uh...'nerve' to say it, yeah, I DO think my son may well have what it takes to go pro.

If your child, like mine, is being 'courted' as a soph and jr - within NCAA regulations - getting asked to invite only camps, talking with big DI coaches and recruiters (at HIS initiation) and becoming state ranked then, at this point, in high school, anything is possible. As I once heard a pro pitcher say (can't remember who) 'all' you have to do is standout at the level at which you are playing.

Nobody in this area, now, is going big DI in basketball, so the pros are not within their reach - and all the standout juniors and seniors know that.

In football, certainly Chandler Jones has a shot, if he does well at SU. I don't know much about baseball, so I don't know if there are any true standouts. Also, our short baseball 'season' is a huge handicap.

So, yeah, I'll stand up and be counted...my kid does have a shot at the pros and he would be seriously annoyed if he knew I said that.

However, even with that, any kid - unless he is getting mentioned on ESPN (think LaBron James) better go to college with the idea of getting a free degree FIRST - because shots at the pros are few and far far between.

Hey, I am a woman and I have the...uh...'nerve' to say it, yeah, I DO think my son may well have what it takes to go pro.

If your child, like mine, is being 'courted' as a soph and jr - within NCAA regulations - getting asked to invite only camps, talking with big DI coaches and recruiters (at HIS initiation) and becoming state ranked then, at this point, in high school, anything is possible. As I once heard a pro pitcher say (can't remember who) 'all' you have to do is standout at the level at which you are playing.

Nobody in this area, now, is going big DI in basketball, so the pros are not within their reach - and all the standout juniors and seniors know that.

In football, certainly Chandler Jones has a shot, if he does well at SU. I don't know much about baseball, so I don't know if there are any true standouts. Also, our short baseball 'season' is a huge handicap.

So, yeah, I'll stand up and be counted...my kid does have a shot at the pros and he would be seriously annoyed if he knew I said that.

However, even with that, any kid - unless he is getting mentioned on ESPN (think LaBron James) better go to college with the idea of getting a free degree FIRST - because shots at the pros are few and far far between.

i think my 2 boys have a great shot at making the pros. yesterday i adopted manute bol and ryan leaf. those 2 are a can't miss!!! i'm so proud of them.

of the main 3 sports, baseball is the easiest to get to the pros. (easier compared to the other 2) you have to be a freak of nature (for the most part to) make it in football and basketball, with a few exceptions. baseball is less "size" related, giving more opportunities. that being said, it's still a long shot. if he loves the game, give it a shot. the sad think would be to look back and say "what if"?.

Honestly the possibility of anyone around here that's playing football right now going Pro is most likely a fantasy. No team around here is that good and no player around here is that good. State ranked or not (and if I'm not mistaken nobody in this area made 1st team state ranks, which still doesn't mean squat). We in this area are a very small part of a very large pie. Going to a D1 of course is great to get your education. Playing Football at a D1 level could be standing on the sidelines watching the grass grow, but the education is still worth it obviously. Don't start counting those paychecks just yet

Actually there are more D1 athletes going to D1 schools in baseball from this area than football. They certainly have a season comparable to football but have more chances with more games to showcase. There is 1 football player from this area going D1 right now, there are at least 6 already in baseball comiting.

Honestly the possibility of anyone around here that's playing football right now going Pro is most likely a fantasy. No team around here is that good and no player around here is that good. State ranked or not (and if I'm not mistaken nobody in this area made 1st team state ranks, which still doesn't mean squat). We in this area are a very small part of a very large pie. Going to a D1 of course is great to get your education. Playing Football at a D1 level could be standing on the sidelines watching the grass grow, but the education is still worth it obviously. Don't start counting those paychecks just yet

Actually there are more D1 athletes going to D1 schools in baseball from this area than football. They certainly have a season comparable to football but have more chances with more games to showcase. There is 1 football player from this area going D1 right now, there are at least 6 already in baseball comiting.

"committing"

Well you better hope your son or daughter is a high honor roll, 90's student. There's a very large pool of kids out there with alot of talent and grades to match to earn looks from D1 schools like SU.

Well you better hope your son or daughter is a high honor roll, 90's student. There's a very large pool of kids out there with alot of talent and grades to match to earn looks from D1 schools like SU.

I really wouldn't call SU an academic school. Plus many colleges find ways to bend the rules, so kids with a GPA matching that of a rock have an opportunity to try and go pro.

and if I'm not mistaken nobody in this area made 1st team state ranks, which still doesn't mean squat

Jones and Veruto from UE made first team all state.

Jones signed to SU.

Clarence Megwa now at Boston College formerly from BHS (2005?) is a standout on that team, so yeah, he probably does have a shot.

Sliding scale between SATs and grades, the higher the grades, the lower the SATs required to be NCAA academically eligible...however those standards are pretty low.

The fact is... there will be one or two individuals in this area every 10 or 20 years that have a shot at going pro. We have a handful of athletes each year that go on to D1 schools. Of the D1 players, a handful of them across the country turn pro. Every kid will be a pro - just not at a sport.

Don't misunderstand, however. Parents will always try and put their kids in situations where they can succeed. A little success here or there gives the BCV trolls a chance to create posts like this one.

I agree, very very very few have the combination:

Size, speed, talent, drive, a certain amount of brains and luck...not just luck to be noticed, luck in not becoming injured or be an injury prone player.

It takes alot to get to the college level to play...if your kid is good enough to play there, make SURE they understand that their best shot at success is in the academics..if the other happens there is no harm in having an educated brain on your shoulders...also, they need to understand that even at the high school level most coaches and at the college level almost every single coach is NOT their friend...the athlete is a cog in their machinery...nothing wrong with that but if a kid thinks that coaches really do care about them personally then they are riding for a very painful fall.

It's not the "pros", but it the highest level of their sport

Wrestlers like O'Connor, Nickerson and Glenn all will have a shot at making Olympic or World Teams, as will a handful of current HS wrestlers from this area

Guest realist
Jones and Veruto from UE made first team all state.

Jones signed to SU.

Clarence Megwa now at Boston College formerly from BHS (2005?) is a standout on that team, so yeah, he probably does have a shot.

Not one of those 3 will make it to the pros. Megwa is an average player at best on that team. He lacks the burst speed to go to the next level. I'm glad he's doing well and great for him to get a good education but he has little to no shot at the next level because of his speed/size issues.

Jones and Veruto, nope unless you are talking Art Jones. Art has a decent shot right now, he just needs to either put on a bit more size to play he interior line at the next level or prove he can come off the edge (which he hasn't yet) to move outside. SU does have a history with some good pass rushers in the NFL. At worst he'd get an Arena League shot no matter what based on his accomplishments so far.

Guest realist

What sport are you talking? Most don't offer a "state rank" for players, that kind of confuses me, and most of the sports that offer true individual rankings don't have real pro leagues (wrestling, track, etc..). How is your son state ranked?

If you are thinking about football understand, Chandler Jones is a 2 star prospect for college (by 3 ranking services) and he's in the top 20 of NYS. If you look at the rankings of Florida/Texas/California/Louisiana he wouldn't get a top 100 rank, thats just the cold hard fact of how weak our state is. Only the top 2% of NCAA football players get the pro shot, so realistically he has at best a slim hope.

Your final part about education is the best advice and I'm glad you see scholarship opportunities for what they are educational chances.

Guest OFF THEIR BACK
Not one of those 3 will make it to the pros. Megwa is an average player at best on that team. He lacks the burst speed to go to the next level. I'm glad he's doing well and great for him to get a good education but he has little to no shot at the next level because of his speed/size issues.

Jones and Veruto, nope unless you are talking Art Jones. Art has a decent shot right now, he just needs to either put on a bit more size to play he interior line at the next level or prove he can come off the edge (which he hasn't yet) to move outside. SU does have a history with some good pass rushers in the NFL. At worst he'd get an Arena League shot no matter what based on his accomplishments so far.

OHHH yea I remember you your the guy that was on here boasting about that kid from montrose a few years back. Whats his name oh yea snee or something yep your the only one who saw his talent you knew he would be starting for the giants playing in this years super bowl way to go pal.

You people are idiots don't think maybe more than 1-2 people that have posted on here have a clue as to what it takes to have the drive & desire to make it to that level. You guys blab on here about 40 times and strong enough about kids that are 16-17 years old they are no where near their peak physical development at that age and you want to judge the possibility of them going pro by where they stand at that stage of their development, DON"T MAKE ME LAUGH.

The difference that comes about that turns that kid into a level above the rest comes when they find it inside themselves to push to a level they never knew they had which in turn brings out the physical strength and ability that nobody can see at that age. The difference between what you see in a 11th grader and what he still may become is his HEART.

Guest The Truth
OHHH yea I remember you your the guy that was on here boasting about that kid from montrose a few years back. Whats his name oh yea snee or something yep your the only one who saw his talent you knew he would be starting for the giants playing in this years super bowl way to go pal.

You people are idiots don't think maybe more than 1-2 people that have posted on here have a clue as to what it takes to have the drive & desire to make it to that level. You guys blab on here about 40 times and strong enough about kids that are 16-17 years old they are no where near their peak physical development at that age and you want to judge the possibility of them going pro by where they stand at that stage of their development, DON"T MAKE ME LAUGH.

The difference that comes about that turns that kid into a level above the rest comes when they find it inside themselves to push to a level they never knew they had which in turn brings out the physical strength and ability that nobody can see at that age. The difference between what you see in a 11th grader and what he still may become is his HEART.

The funny thing is if you read my second post carefully, I was trying to make a statement by saying I'm leaving this site and many of the parents should do the same. I was not expecting to get any feedback. I was trying to say stop complaining and talking about how good your kid is and move on with your life because after high school and college thats usually it for sports for most kids. Also with all the boasting I was almost believing some of the athletes were actually professional. Guess everything backfired on me.

Archived