Who thinks their kid has a shot at the pro's?

Guest The Truth

I really wouldn't call SU an academic school. Plus many colleges find ways to bend the rules, so kids with a GPA matching that of a rock have an opportunity to try and go pro.

You wouldn't call SU an academic school?????I think the pre-med students would beg to differ with you. Besides if you're implying that your kid will get there w/ mediocre grades and then somehow do well the next 4 years might be a little unrealistic don't you think??

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which posts specifically are you referring to? I don't see a whole lot of boasting on here....but I sure do see a whole lot of ripping kids apart.

Do you have references to this alleged boasting? Of course you don't, you're just not having fun if it isn't negative.

Sorry pal, on this post the good guys are winning.

Jones and Veruto from UE made first team all state.

Jones signed to SU.

Clarence Megwa now at Boston College formerly from BHS (2005?) is a standout on that team, so yeah, he probably does have a shot.

Not to diminish the honor to be voted to an All state 1st team because that is an exceptional feat, however there are lots of athletes not mentioned who deserve to be and being on 2nd, 3rd or 4th team does not give you an automatic pass to a college scholarship...theres always someone that much better and that much smarter.

It also helped Jones that his brother was also a player on the team,

You wouldn't call SU an academic school?????I think the pre-med students would beg to differ with you. Besides if you're implying that your kid will get there w/ mediocre grades and then somehow do well the next 4 years might be a little unrealistic don't you think??

I didn't mean pre-med. All I have to say is my friend went to SU and became friends with one of the basketball players. I refuse to give his name, but the player didn't actually graduate high school (had insufficient grades), yet SU managed to fake his transcript and because he was so good at basketball they distributed a scholarship to him so he could play. The basketball player told my friend all of this and kept it a secret, but now that the b-ball player graduated I have no problem expressing what happened. You are naive if you think stuff like this doesn't happen. Also money talks in some cases and kids play ahead of other kids because their parents give the coach alittle something on the side (the sad thing is I'm not only referring to money :huh: ). I didn't mean SU in general wasn't an academic school, I just meant some of the players are not students and are exceptions to the rules when it comes to academics. I should have been more clear sorry dude

I didn't mean pre-med. All I have to say is my friend went to SU and became friends with one of the basketball players. I refuse to give his name, but the player didn't actually graduate high school (had insufficient grades), yet SU managed to fake his transcript and because he was so good at basketball they distributed a scholarship to him so he could play. The basketball player told my friend all of this and kept it a secret, but now that the b-ball player graduated I have no problem expressing what happened. You are naive if you think stuff like this doesn't happen. Also money talks in some cases and kids play ahead of other kids because their parents give the coach alittle something on the side (the sad thing is I'm not only referring to money :huh: ). I didn't mean SU in general wasn't an academic school, I just meant some of the players are not students and are exceptions to the rules when it comes to academics. I should have been more clear sorry dude

As most secrets go....don.t be so gullible! The odds of that happening often if at all are slim and none. Someone was exaggerating!!!

As most secrets go....don.t be so gullible! The odds of that happening often if at all are slim and none. Someone was exaggerating!!!

Happens more often than not. How do you explain some of these athletes that can't even speak english, are taking a major in english, pass, and yet still find room to play sports? Not likely they're actually passing. Please think about it before calling someone gullible because you probably have a kid that sneaks out of the house, smokes pot, goes to parties on a weekly basis, yet don't have a clue of this happening. Don't call me gullible I've been to that road before.

Not one of those 3 will make it to the pros. Megwa is an average player at best on that team. He lacks the burst speed to go to the next level. I'm glad he's doing well and great for him to get a good education but he has little to no shot at the next level because of his speed/size issues.

Jones and Veruto, nope unless you are talking Art Jones. Art has a decent shot right now, he just needs to either put on a bit more size to play he interior line at the next level or prove he can come off the edge (which he hasn't yet) to move outside. SU does have a history with some good pass rushers in the NFL. At worst he'd get an Arena League shot no matter what based on his accomplishments so far.

Megwa will shine his last two years. he was redshirted. he will make the NFL

Clarence Megwa

2007 Season

Had 30 receptions for 353 yards and 2 touchdowns...played in all 14 games...averaged 11.8 yards per catch...had a 17-yard grab in BC's win over Michigan State in the Champs Sports Bowl... in the ACC Championship game against Virginia Tech, brought in three Matt Ryan passes for 27 yards, including a long 13-yard reception...continued to out-do his career-bests by pulling in four catches for a career-high 67 yards and his second touchdown of the season...his touchdown came as a 20-yard grab in the fourth quarter in the Eagles' final regular season game, giving the team a 21-14 edge over Miami...also brought in a career-long 23-yard Matt Ryan pass in the second quarter and made his first career tackle...topped his career-best performance at Notre Dame earlier this season by compiling six clutch catches for 60 yards, contributing to BC's thrilling fourth-quarter drives that led to a comeback victory at Clemson and a trip to the ACC Championship ...brought in one of Matt Ryan's 25 passes for five yards in the come-from-behind win at Virginia Tech...notched career highs in receptions and yardage, catching five passes for 56 yards, ranking second on the team in reception yards in the win over Notre Dame...recorded his first career start as wide receiver against Bowling Green...responded by catching two passes for 26 yards, including an 18-yard reception...registered 16 yards on two receptions in game versus Massachusetts...became one of 10 receivers who put together a 371-yard receiving performance in outing against Army...caught the ball two times for 15 total yards in win...had a solid outing in win over Georgia Tech, catching three passes for 42 yards...was one of four Eagles to catch a touchdown pass in the season-opening win vs. Wake Forest; hauled in a 22-yarder from Matt Ryan, his only reception on the day, that knotted the score at 21-21 shortly before halftime.

2006 Season

Played in all 13 contests...made 12 catches for 126 yards...had two catches for 30 yards in collegiate debut at Central Michigan...had two catches for five yards against Maine...had career-high 35 receiving yards on two catches against Virginia Tech...made one catch for seven yards at Florida State...made two catches for 15 yards against Buffalo...had two catches for 22 yards at Wake Forest...caught one pass for 12 yards against Duke.

2005 Season

Redshirted.

Guest Old School
It's not the "pros", but it the highest level of their sport

Wrestlers like O'Connor, Nickerson and Glenn all will have a shot at making Olympic or World Teams, as will a handful of current HS wrestlers from this area

Can't remember if it was '88 or '92, but a kayaker from Greene named Braman had a shot in the Olympic trials. Exceptional athlete and a rugged kid. We focus on Football Basketball and Baseball as the measure of an athlete in the US, but we ignore other athletic competition.

Happens more often than not. How do you explain some of these athletes that can't even speak english, are taking a major in english, pass, and yet still find room to play sports? Not likely they're actually passing. Please think about it before calling someone gullible because you probably have a kid that sneaks out of the house, smokes pot, goes to parties on a weekly basis, yet don't have a clue of this happening. Don't call me gullible I've been to that road before.

How do you know that for sure. You're making a lot of assumptions with nothing to back it except your opinion. I could make the reverse argument that tutors are used and interpretors are hired to work with the student, so again I present to you stop being so gullible.

jordan thomas might have a shot at the pros. i believe he is ranked in the nation for football players of the class of 2010.

there are several baseball players in that 2009-2010 class range that have a shot at least for minor leagues perhaps even pros. They are: Ty Yesensky of M-E

Pete Roma of U-E

That one senior from Elmira

thats really all that comes to the top of my head at the moment

How do you know that for sure. You're making a lot of assumptions with nothing to back it except your opinion. I could make the reverse argument that tutors are used and interpretors are hired to work with the student, so again I present to you stop being so gullible.

When Muhammed gets a scholarship over your kid and can't spell his own name, don't come crying to me :angry:

Guest Honesty
Megwa will shine his last two years. he was redshirted. he will make the NFL

Look it takes more than catching 30-40 balls as a possession receiver in college to become a pro. Lets just look at the simple facts of someone like Mario Manningham to see the prospects for Megwa. I pick him because they are roughly the same size and speed. Manningham and Megwa had similar years as sophs, except Megwa was a 11 yd per catch guy, Manningham is a 20 yd per catch guy. Megwa has to get a bit more speed to truly have a great shot at the next level. I'm not trying to say he can't do it, just saying its the facts right now. A faster player with better stats (Manningham) is dropping in pro prospect level because he is a bit slow and smallish for what they are looking for. To make it in the NFL you have to have something that sets you apart from the others and Megwa hasn't it shown yet, right now he's an average at best chance to make it. Lets also not forget he had the bonus of a top flight pro caliber QB getting him the ball this year, no guarantee the guy throwing to him next season will be nearly that level. It helps receivers a ton to have someone that good putting the ball in the right spot. It takes more than being the #4 receiver at your own school to be a NFL player, and as of now thats what Megwa is viewed as.

jordan thomas might have a shot at the pros. i believe he is ranked in the nation for football players of the class of 2010.

there are several baseball players in that 2009-2010 class range that have a shot at least for minor leagues perhaps even pros. They are: Ty Yesensky of M-E

Pete Roma of U-E

How can they have a shot...they are not good players....mediocre at best....

Interested to see if there are any parents that feel their children are good enough to go pro. By the sounds of some of these comments, I was almost convinced some were already pro. Come on don't be shy and you can remain anonymous.

JOE STEINER. His dad will do anything to see his son become a pro bowler, even if that means paying his way to the pros.

Pete Roma of U-E

Another knowledgeable pseudo judge of talent.....minor leagues ARE pros genius.

Look it takes more than catching 30-40 balls as a possession receiver in college to become a pro. Lets just look at the simple facts of someone like Mario Manningham to see the prospects for Megwa. I pick him because they are roughly the same size and speed. Manningham and Megwa had similar years as sophs, except Megwa was a 11 yd per catch guy, Manningham is a 20 yd per catch guy. Megwa has to get a bit more speed to truly have a great shot at the next level. I'm not trying to say he can't do it, just saying its the facts right now. A faster player with better stats (Manningham) is dropping in pro prospect level because he is a bit slow and smallish for what they are looking for. To make it in the NFL you have to have something that sets you apart from the others and Megwa hasn't it shown yet, right now he's an average at best chance to make it. Lets also not forget he had the bonus of a top flight pro caliber QB getting him the ball this year, no guarantee the guy throwing to him next season will be nearly that level. It helps receivers a ton to have someone that good putting the ball in the right spot. It takes more than being the #4 receiver at your own school to be a NFL player, and as of now thats what Megwa is viewed as.

you can't compare college wide receivers by how many catches they have. if you play for miami, you should have more than if you play for va. tech.. boston college commits to the run all game, therefore less chances for the outs. he will be judged on speed, strength, endurance, hands, blocking and route running. pro scouts know what they want and they won't judge on the # of receptions. obviously he needs to make a reasonable # of catches, but not a ton. i'm sure hawaii's 3rd receiver has more catches than megwa, but it doesn't make him better. as far as yds per catch, that is dictated by the team's style of play. any receiver that averages 11yds. per catch will get noticed if he has raw ability. pro teams look for possession receivers and home run hitters. with megwa, you get a little of both. he's still young. boston college commands respect from pro teams. ya never know. you would have laughed at wes welker in college.

Guest history
you can't compare college wide receivers by how many catches they have. if you play for miami, you should have more than if you play for va. tech.. boston college commits to the run all game, therefore less chances for the outs. he will be judged on speed, strength, endurance, hands, blocking and route running. pro scouts know what they want and they won't judge on the # of receptions. obviously he needs to make a reasonable # of catches, but not a ton. i'm sure hawaii's 3rd receiver has more catches than megwa, but it doesn't make him better. as far as yds per catch, that is dictated by the team's style of play. any receiver that averages 11yds. per catch will get noticed if he has raw ability. pro teams look for possession receivers and home run hitters. with megwa, you get a little of both. he's still young. boston college commands respect from pro teams. ya never know. you would have laughed at wes welker in college.

You really don't know much do you. Wes Welker had almost 100 catches in his junior and senior years while also being on the the top kick returners in the NCAA at Texas Tech (run and shoot style offense). He was an exceptional possession receiver even then, people just thought he'd be more of a kick returner in the pros and for his first 5 seasons thats what he was. He was always a pro prospect because of his speed despite his lack of size. His 40 time is almost 2 tenths faster than Megwas, thats a huge difference.

I never compared Megwa to anyone who wasn't fair to compare with. The Michigan offense is similar to BC, and because of his redshirt year, Megwa is the roughly same age as Manningham a third year junior. Next year Megwa is #3 on the BC depth chart at receiver, there are still to guys ahead of him from last years team. The two above him were both All-ACC picks this past season, and both had 30-40 more catches than he did. I say this to point out your arguments are wrong, not to say hes not a solid player, just that he has work to do if he wants to get a pro look.

As for your thoughts on BC's offense dead wrong. BC had a great passing attack this season and you can't say they didn't. 6 receivers with 30 or more catches, including 4 over 50 catches. The team averaged 99 yds per game running and 325 yds per game passing, they were an air based attack this season because of Ryan being such a great QB. Who knows next year they may be a running attack again, Megwa may be lucky to get 30 catches if they stop throwing the ball, it'll all depend on the QB they find in spring practice.

Pete Roma of U-E

LOL....Yesensky a pro baseball player...get real....he isn't any good...he sucks.....l

I just love it when clowns sit at their computers and 'dis' kids who have enough skills to be the best in Southern NY...oh yeah, he SUCKS....and you are a first class jerk. Ditto for ALL the other clowns who post on here about how bad players on local sports teams are. Pathetic. Really.

Guest luvs2spooge
Well you better hope your son or daughter is a high honor roll, 90's student. There's a very large pool of kids out there with alot of talent and grades to match to earn looks from D1 schools like SU.

Syracuse is one of the best colleges in the U.S. academic wise. If you have a kid going to college soon you'd find out that a lot of the career choices can relate back to Syracuse somehow and a lot of them like writing, their medical programs, and I'm sure many other programs are near tops in the nation.

Archived