M-E Girls BBall

Guest Spartan

That is correct. Waverly is a class B school. They petitioned the section to be moved up to Class A for sectionals = ostensibly to avoid their nemesis Elmira Notre Dame (and/or possibly Binghamton Seton). The will now have to play A sectionals for two years in girls bball. This was probably a smart strategic move, as Waverly stands a good chance at winning the A title.

That is correct. Waverly is a class B school. They petitioned the section to be moved up to Class A for sectionals = ostensibly to avoid their nemesis Elmira Notre Dame (and/or possibly Binghamton Seton). The will now have to play A sectionals for two years in girls bball. This was probably a smart strategic move, as Waverly stands a good chance at winning the A title.

They are well coached and have good size. They played as a team. The loss of Bushnell hurt M-E inside, not too mention

their horrific foul shooting.

Yeah, I was at the game and M-E didn't play bad. Waverly is pretty good and their hight just completely overpowered M-E. Waverly must have had 20 blocked shots throughout the game. And yes, the M-E foul shooting was terrible, as it has been all year. Had Carrie Bushnell been there would they have won? I guess we'll never know, but I'm certain it would have been a different score.

Guest Spartan

Without Phillips, they were average at best. I wonder why some kids were pushed out of the program the last couple of seasons.

Either the young talent was over-estimated (father coaches), the talent wasn't developed, or both.

Without Phillips, they were average at best. I wonder why some kids were pushed out of the program the last couple of seasons.

Either the young talent was over-estimated (father coaches), the talent wasn't developed, or both.

Okay you obviously don't know what's going on there. The people that were "pushed away" was the valedictorian and a field hockey player who plays at Cornell, a field hockey player who plays at Wake Forest and a softball player that plays at Binghamton. Those four had other things they wanted to concentrate on so they decided to go do those things. As for the father coaches? Coach Spera doesn't start Erica, he starts Osovski and Chelak because they were better. As for Mastro? Watching their games, she (Laura) should be starting. So in my opinion the talent did develop, but Waverly was just better. Don't forget M-E was without Carrie Bushnell, arguably their best player.

Guest Devils Advocate

Did those same girls finish the games, or did the coaches daughters play come crunch time? Not starting is less an issue than not playing when the game is on the line...alot of time and money and been invested by pretty much the entire program, but losing to Waverly is nothing to be ashamed of

Towards the end of the season Osovski did play over Erica during crunch time, though there wasn't a lot of times that there was a "crunch time" for M-E this year. As for Mastro? She is good and should have been out there.

Guest Devils Advocate

Unless they went undefeated and untested, there was "crunch time"...it may not always be in the last 4 minutes...rather, whenever the balance of the game is in jeopardy of tilting in one teams advantage...I've seen too many games lost in the 2nd quarter by ridiculous substitutions to not realize that all games are NOT won or lost in the 4th quarter. There are a few girls teams around these parts that everyone thinks they should play more than they do and the coaches act like its modified or AAU.

Did those same girls finish the games, or did the coaches daughters play come crunch time? Not starting is less an issue than not playing when the game is on the line...alot of time and money and been invested by pretty much the entire program, but losing to Waverly is nothing to be ashamed of

Why is it when ME girls lose, it always comes back to the coaches girls ? Why is it when they are winning, no one talks about who is playing but when they are losing, it is always the coaches daughters who come up ? When they are doing well, is it the coaches daughters? Stop the nonsense. Waverly is a good team that played better that day. That's it.

The talent wasn't developed? That is why there are so good, because the talent was developed through the Flyers program.

Guest Spartan Fan
The talent wasn't developed? That is why there are so good, because the talent was developed through the Flyers program.
I wouldn't exactly call 2nd place in the central division with JC, Owego and Norwich very "good."

Those 3 teams only had 7 total conference wins combine!! And as far as developing the talent, your either

getting better or worse, and they clearly weren't better this year.

I wouldn't exactly call 2nd place in the central division with JC, Owego and Norwich very "good."

Those 3 teams only had 7 total conference wins combine!! And as far as developing the talent, your either

getting better or worse, and they clearly weren't better this year.

Well I would call demolishing those teams (with the exception of Owego) as very good. Even Oneonta. Yeah they lost the first time, but they came back and really beat them into the ground. Waverly just beat them that night. They were better. And don't forget their division losses came on the first and second games of the season when half the time had just finished with field hockey, cross country or soccer only a week or so before.

Guest Guest
ME should have played a zone vs Waverly?

I was at the game and I don't really think it matters because it was the Waverly DEFENSE and the poor foul shooting that doomed the Spartans. But Oneonta won sectionals. Congrats to them now all M-E can do is use this for fire for next year when, as of now, they have all but one returning. I like their chances next year.

Guest Spartan Fan
..........now all M-E can do is use this for fire for next year when, as of now, they have all but one returning. I like their chances next year.
They still won't beat Seton or any of the other top notch teams in the area. This program peaked last year when Phillips was a senior. From what

I hear and see, no one is having fun and is shows on the court. I''l be surprised if everyone returns next season.

Archived